Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
So sorry for my absence
That certainly is your $0.02

Firstly if you don't buy it off Don its not a "Poorboy" but I'm glad you like it ..!!
#16 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM,
(06-12-2013, 04:20 PM)1060dsl Wrote: That certainly is your $0.02

Firstly if you don't buy it off Don its not a "Poorboy" but I'm glad you like it ..!!

Sorry to hear of your loss. You know that they are in a good place now & free of any pain & suffering.
As for the Alt kit. I am on your side although I was going to install one on Baby before I was forced to sell. But the reason is that I wanted to light her up like a Christmas tree. But on the other side there are many ppl out there that want to keep their bikes bone stock & that is their right. Here in BC, to get collector plates, your bike has to be only equipped with accessories available @ the time of manufacture. There are member on this site that are addament in their belief that these fine classic should remain as mother Honda built them. So please remember that everyone has an opinion & that is their right & so it is not worth the stress to allow a few to get under your skin. Cheers Angela HeartBig Grin
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
'85 Honda GL 1200 (fully dressed) I. (sold)
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."
"Grab life by the handlbars an hang on."

#17 06-12-2013, 10:15 PM,
once i am out of the hospital for the umteannth time. i have some things to settle. then i would love to hookup with someone who can help install a new stator then lather on i plan on installing the poorboy when i can afford the kit.. i ha d seen a kit someone had made them selves that i really liked but they never returned my messages as to if they would make and sell a copy of it. that kit used an alternator from a forklift. its smaller size allowed for less modding.
To Thine own self be True. To all the others Be Better
#18 06-13-2013, 04:26 AM,
' Wrote:So please remember that everyone has an opinion.

But only mine counts !! LOL
#19 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM,
(06-13-2013, 12:59 PM)1060dsl Wrote:
' Wrote:So please remember that everyone has an opinion.

But only mine counts !! LOL

Well of course! What else?Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."

#20 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM,
The Aspencade I took to Florida had the stator go out unexpected. Between waiting for the poor boy to arrive, gathering tools, and sitting in a damp, humid garage doing my first install, I lost about a week and a half of riding. I also didn't t have the proper tools, like I do in my garage at home. I promised that I wouldn't be caught off guard with my other Aspencade so I ordered another poor boy and changed it after I got back home. Much different experience. I worked with my tools, in my home, and it took me half the time. Everyone with a 1200 should change their stator to a poor boy on their own terms, at home, with their own tools IMHO.
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#21 08-16-2013, 06:01 AM,
This started out with charlainec, their absence due to personal loss and mechanical failure of their bike, and has turned into a separation of camps over stock stator and external alternators (poorboy kit, (poorboy didn’t invent the idea -bfd), fabricating your own kit).
Once charlainec gets their health issues straightened out, they want to get back on the road with the aid of AN EXTERNAL ALTERNATOR. Their choice.
The bottom line for them is to get their bike back on the road, with minimal financial impact, and at the same time, make their bike more reliable than it was.
Your opinion, my opinion, factory or aftermarket stator, or external alternator, the choice is theirs. It is their bike.
If historical registration is the goal, stone stock, factory, (and all the short comings) is the only choice.
If reliable riding of a classic design is the goal, then modification is a must, and THAT is the only choice.

The opinions of our family and friends are what assist us in making our fork-in-the-road decisions.

Charlainec needs to get some issues addressed, which includes the repair of their bike, so they can ride.

Isn't that what this forum is all about?
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#22 08-16-2013, 07:20 AM,
(08-16-2013, 07:20 AM)bs175dths Wrote: This started out with charlainec, their absence due to personal loss and mechanical failure of their bike, and has turned into a separation of camps over stock stator and external alternators (poorboy kit, (poorboy didn’t invent the idea -bfd), fabricating your own kit).
Once charlainec gets their health issues straightened out, they want to get back on the road with the aid of AN EXTERNAL ALTERNATOR. Their choice.
The bottom line for them is to get their bike back on the road, with minimal financial impact, and at the same time, make their bike more reliable than it was.
Your opinion, my opinion, factory or aftermarket stator, or external alternator, the choice is theirs. It is their bike.
If historical registration is the goal, stone stock, factory, (and all the short comings) is the only choice.
If reliable riding of a classic design is the goal, then modification is a must, and THAT is the only choice.

The opinions of our family and friends are what assist us in making our fork-in-the-road decisions.

Charlainec needs to get some issues addressed, which includes the repair of their bike, so they can ride.

Isn't that what this forum is all about?

You are absolutely correct! There is too much classism on all these type of forums as to what bike one owns, whether or not it is stock or what accessories have been added. Even Vic (no disrespect meant @ all)has stated that he wants his ride to be completely stoke but in his case he has the knowledge that the PB kit and the Yellow color have more to do about reliability & safety to move slightly away from stock. I for one am a very avid car nut & I love the old classics whether they be stock or custom. I saw a beautiful 1962 corvette Roadster that the owner had taken the stock body any shoehorned it onto the complete chassis (C/interior) of a 2010 Corvette. We are bikers & bike lovers & it shouldn't matter what we ride or how we have it equipped. Ride safe everybody and enjoy the time that you have. Cheers & God Bless, Angela.
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
pres. 95 Virago 1100

#23 08-16-2013, 04:08 PM,
I have a halfways decent set of tools and equipment in the garage so I put the fettling time in to get a nice clean installation of the Poorboy kit I bought that was surplus to another forum member. I hand painted the alternator black. You hardly notice the modification. You certainly can't hear it.

#24 08-16-2013, 05:18 PM,
once the PB kit is installed the only real flaw the GL1200 series of GW have are located

behind a steering wheel!!

Ride Safe,

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#25 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM,
(08-21-2013, 11:20 AM)bs175dths Wrote: once the PB kit is installed the only real flaw the GL1200 series of GW have are located

behind a steering wheel!!

Ride Safe,

-Ride On

Absolutely right. cheers
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
pres. 95 Virago 1100

#26 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM,
Wow, Life caused me to disappear entirely for an extended time and this thread took off. I thank everyone for their thoughts and comments. Sadly that bike was lost to the wildfires of 2020 in Washington state where I live now. But I now have an 86 SE-i I'm restoring from the ground up starting this spring. more on that later. So are the Poorboy kits still around or doesn't someone make a kit for the SE-i?
To Thine own self be True. To all the others Be Better
#27 01-17-2023, 01:59 PM,