Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Changing the Dogbone (Main) Fuse
Solenoid modification GL1200

In the event of a melt down of the plug connecting to the starter solenoid there are two ways of repairing.
1 Replace the whole solenoid and plug and pray it doesn’t happen again or.
2 Replace the burnt plastic plug and the 30 amp main dog bone fuse and replace with an auto style weather proof 30 amp blade style (RED) holder.

Attached Files
.pdf   Solenoid modification GL1200.pdf (Size: 82.9 KB / Downloads: 117)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#1 02-22-2013, 07:37 AM,
Thanks for bringing back this mod, Tricky. Did this on my last 1200. You've reminded me that I need to get this done on my new one.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#2 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM,
Thank you Tricky

#3 02-23-2013, 02:37 AM,
If I just want to upgrade the fuse unit, can I just cut the red & red/white wires at the connector and pull them out of the harness? I would remove the dogbone fuse so that the stubs remaining in the connector plug aren't hot. It seems like this should work, and I won't have to disturb the coil control wires.

Thanks!
#4 06-03-2016, 06:11 PM,
Successfully added the blade-style fuse holder to the Wing today. Was about as painless as could be expected.
#5 06-04-2016, 02:23 PM,
Well, I experienced rather odd behavior with my voltmeter during the past month. I was having issues before in the spring and suspected my voltage regulator to be the culprit. Replaced unit, things were awesome for a while with good voltage readings. Then things went wonky. I was just getting ready to test the battery with the bike running and low and behold the connector on the solenoid was just starting it's meltdown mode! So I followed Sir Tricky's advice at the start of this post and now hopefully have a solid charging system for years to come. I have had the stator hard wired a couple of years ago and all the electrical tests have shown good results. Now showing 13.2 to 14.5 on the voltmeter. awesome. Many thanks to Sir Tricky and all the other knowledgeable advice providers. This is an awesome site. Cheers Gents.
Jim Penner
Walkerton, Ontario
84 Interstate
#6 07-13-2016, 05:55 AM,
don't overlook hardwiring the regulator too,they use the same connections which eventually will overheat,doing the stator,regulator and solenoid hardwire is the best thing you can do for your electrical system,consider now those connections are now 29-32 yrs old
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 07-14-2016, 06:28 AM,
Years ago wife and I were alone on the BRP at an overlook and when I went to restart, nothing. Some investigating, found a crack across the dog bone. I had a spare .... but I did not like that moment of "Oh Crap!" when I first tried to start.

Get home, bought a 30 amp rated inline fuse holder that takes AGC style glass fuses and which had 12 gage wire. I clipped wire in center, pulled each end out of fuse holder to solder the area where the "button" is crimped on the end (the button is the part that contacts the fuse) and then assembled it with a fresh 30 amp fuse and some dielectric grease, crimped ring terminals on the two ends and followed with solder and a bit of shrink wrap and installed in place of the dog bone. I notched the cover. I carry spares.
Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road" ......

[Image: 85Winggoodphoto500w.jpg]

...... and whatever you do ... Have a Safe Trip! :shy:
#8 11-27-2016, 11:12 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stator and Dogbone fuse questions? floridamtbiker99 5 3,228 02-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Last Post: floridamtbiker99
  burnt main fuse connecter Azwngr 12 6,123 01-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Guest