Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Honda - Harley - Victory Comparison
Intersting video - compares a Harley Tour Classic with a Victory Vision

#1 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM,
Very impressive, although I can't get my head wrapped around the radical styling of the Victory most likely because my head is totally locked into the beautiful lines of the GL1200. Thanks for the video and because of the video I would certainly take a closer look at the Victory and maybe even take one for a test drive. But, don't tell me wife I said that because in her mind she thinks that everything I look at and test drive is something I will definitely buy.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 01-22-2013, 05:42 AM,
(01-22-2013, 05:42 AM)admin Wrote: Very impressive, although I can't get my head wrapped around the radical styling of the Victory most likely because my head is totally locked into the beautiful lines of the GL1200. Thanks for the video and because of the video I would certainly take a closer look at the Victory and maybe even take one for a test drive. But, don't tell me wife I said that because in her mind she thinks that everything I look at and test drive is something I will definitely buy.

The new Goldwing looks alot like the Victory (without the beer box) its a cool bike as well

#3 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM,
From the standpoint of a tall guy - My wife and I rented the HD Electra Glide for a day. I found it had a more comfortable seating position than the GL1200 by virtue of the pegs being a lot further forwards - with long legs the GL is pretty cramped for the driver. There is more wind on the Electra Glide, but it is smoother flow (less buffeting) - it is comparable to my GL with Madstad and lots better than stock GL1200. The Harley seemed like a smaller bike - not as spacious other than the leg space.

The HD was WAY TOO HOT. That rear cylinder will bake your legs at low speeds. In stop & go traffic it heated up enough that the oil light was flashing a bit at idle. On the GL1200 the worst that happens is the cooling fan cycles on... The HD also felt very top heavy at slow speeds and at a stop. Other than the heat, I would consider an Electra Glide or Road Glide as a replacement.

We tested a Victory Cross Country (their big touring bike) in the showroom and ruled it out. Seat way too low, insufficient leg room, awkward riding position, uncomfortable passenger accomodation - wife said 'no way' in a second.

We keep going back to that leftover new 2010 YELLOW 'Wing at a nearby dealer... but decided we'd keep the GL1200 and do a trip to Europe instead.
#4 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM,
A friend of mine has a victory touring bike and loves it. So far he has done maintenance only in 40,000 miles. Says its the best bike he ever owned. Past touring bikes were Honda and Harley.
1987 Interstate
#5 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM,
Interesting...thanks for posting
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#6 01-23-2013, 03:41 PM,
Other than the stators, the leg room is the weakest point of these bikes - gotta give you that! I installed Kuryakyn foot pegs that make it a little better but I would love to find forward controls (even if I have to lose the engine guards)
The 1800's and the F6B look like they might be better.
#7 01-23-2013, 05:14 PM,
(01-23-2013, 05:14 PM)1060dsl Wrote: Other than the stators, the leg room is the weakest point of these bikes - gotta give you that! I installed Kuryakyn foot pegs that make it a little better but I would love to find forward controls (even if I have to lose the engine guards)
The 1800's and the F6B look like they might be better.

I find the 1800's to be too cramped in the leg room department and I'm only 5'10".Knees are bent too much and are pretty much resting on the fairing.I've owned every size of Wing(2 1200's) except the 1800 and never felt this cramped on any of them.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#8 01-23-2013, 07:17 PM,
I took out a Victory Cross Country for an hour or so (I know not a long ride),and found it to be one of the worse bikes I've ever ridden. I just could not get used to the weight.It seemed very front end heavy and I almost dropped it a few times comming to a stop. Engine vibration once moving was terrible compared to any Harley I've ridden. Helmet buffetting was terrible. Cool bike for sure and I was hoping to really like it, but not for me.
#9 02-03-2013, 08:38 AM,
I rode a 2012 GL1800 at our Honda demo day last summer. The Honda Canada people there were great. After a 1/2 hr with my head being bobbled the whole time I was asked enthusiastically "what I thought?" and " was I ready to move up to a 2012 from my 1200?" all I could think to say was, "It is a beautiful smooth powerful great handling bike. Give me a call when you get it finished...."

Honda F6B- I read a ride report by Wes Siler on Hell For Leather (online mc mag) - Wes is 6'2" and remarked that the cut down windscreen fixes the stupid around the head turbulence the GL1800 has for us >6 foots riders. Air over the fairing hits the rider at the shoulders, and your head is in clean flowing air.

A set of Mick-O-Pegs fixes the leg room issue on the GL1200. www.ridingiswonderful.com Our wing was going to get sold until Sundance told me about Mick-O-Pegs.

Road grading floor boards are dangerous on the roads we like to ride, so the stock foot rests are used to maintain ground clearance.

Someone always comments Mick-O-Pegs are "pricey" ... well for us it was cheap cheap cheap compared to replacing our GL1200 with something I could stand to ride....

#10 02-04-2013, 06:11 AM,
""I rode a 2012 GL1800 at our Honda demo day last summer. The Honda Canada people there were great. After a 1/2 hr with my head being bobbled the whole time ""

I think that has to be the biggest complaint about the gl1800.. for me, it was annoying as hell. Put the screen all the way up and it was only a little better and then of course I could not see over the screen. GL1200 was much better with less turbulance and could see over the screen no problm.
#11 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM,
(02-04-2013, 09:06 AM)olddude53 Wrote: I think that has to be the biggest complaint about the gl1800.. for me, it was annoying as hell. Put the screen all the way up and it was only a little better and then of course I could not see over the screen. GL1200 was much better with less turbulance and could see over the screen no problm.

Heck, put a Madstad windshield and Russell seat on a GL1800 and it would be a heck of a nice bike.

Of course, a GL1200 with the same accessories will perform the same mission just as effectively, at 20% of the cost.
#12 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Honda may buy Harley.... SIR tricky 13 5,994 06-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Last Post: bluewing
  I have tasted victory, and it is good. TomKat 7 1,986 04-21-2007, 04:02 AM
Last Post: roadawg