Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Compliment from out of the blue
So I'm out riding tonight and am met at a traffic light by a rather nice looking Harley. I compliment the rider on his nice looking scoot which he says it isn't bad for a 93.

I point at Freedom and tell him it's an 84.

He asks how we manage to keep the chrome on our bikes... seems Harleys lose their chrome fast in the salt air down here by the Gulf.

At the next light he tells me that he took his friends 2003 Harley Ultra Classic for a ride and continued with his statement by saying "you guys with your GoldWings definitely have the better bike"

Needless to say, I continued down the road with a big smile on my face... Finally a Harley owner admitted what we already knew!
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#1 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM,
I was talking to a traffic cop in OKC asking him how he liked those Harleys the City bought. None of us wanted them, he said. We put together a list of about 6 bikes that we would like, all jap bikes with the exception of a BMW. he said that they are too hard to handle, not fast enough, got no ground clearance. they bought the Hardly Ablesons in the end because they under bid everyone. They wanted fast nibble bikes for the traffic and tight quarters that they have to work in yet still be able to haul ass if they had to hit the interstate.

I did learn a neat trick from him and have been using it ever since. Because of their weapon and gear they never mount up from the left, instead they step on the peg on the right and step over. Try it, way easier.
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#2 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM,
Nice report Wildhorse. There are some really decent Harley's out there, but, by the time they actually become decent there are very few genuine Harley parts left in those bikes.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM,
We have often got compliments from Harley riders, both friends and strangers. Most often about the condition of Lorne's '85, and the way it moves out. They often make compliments on the fact that gw's have that long distance comfort factor.
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
South of Sarnia, SW Ontario, Can
#4 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM,
I have received glowing reports from Harley riders stating how comfortable Gold Wing's are and how surprisingly powerful they are, but, they would never be caught dead on a Honda simply because it's not a Harley. It just amazes me how the Harley owner's mind works, especially when they admit openly that the Honda is a better bike to ride. Kind of reminds me of a young, fashion conscious woman who wears 6" spiked heel shoes despite the fact that they wobble and hurt like crazy, but, hey they look good right? This is not an attack on Harley owners or Harley bikes, it's just an observation I have come to recognize over the years from watching all my Harley friends love their bikes. No offence intended at all.

#5 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM,
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. We had stopped at a roadside stand for an ice cream cone when a couple of Harley guys walked over and asked where I'd had Wanda painted! They were slightly stunned when I told them it was the original paint, some 26 years old at that time!
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#6 01-11-2013, 04:00 PM,
If I am parked or stopped somewhere and a rider parks alongside, I found a way to sort out if they are a "brand snob" kind of rider ...

I ask as innocently as you please, like a real dimwit (comes naturally), "What kind of bike is that?"...

When they are all full of themselves and their Ride - You get the most dumbfounded looks sometimes... followed by "It's a Dyna Wide Fat Ultra Glide Low..." or "It's a GS1256B wide Strass Neibelwerfer with 187,000 miles that I rode to Alaska twice last summer..." or "Huh? It's a Gold Wing 1800 with Kuryakin Everything and a Toaster...!"

or... if they are a Real Motorcyclist - they always chuckle and say, modestly - "It's a 03 such and such ...What year is your Wing?" and a pleasant chat usually follows...

#7 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM,
My wife and I were at the Motorcycle Show in NYC on Saturday. She is torn between getting an FJR 1300 or ST 1300. While waiting to sit on the FJR we were chatting with the guy that was sitting on it. He was telling us that he is looking for a great all around bike, something that he can ride all day long and not worry about. I asked him what he rides and he tells me he has a Harley Fat Boy. SO I tell he she is looking for the same thing. She needs to keep up with me cause her old 85 Virago isnt cutting it anymore, and in the rain she just doesnt feel safe enough like I do. So he asks what I ride, and I tell him my 84 Aspy. His response......."That's what I though...."
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#8 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM,
The loafers, shorts and flowered shirt are always a dead give away
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#9 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM,
(01-11-2013, 01:46 PM)admin Wrote: I have received glowing reports from Harley riders stating how comfortable Gold Wing's are and how surprisingly powerful they are, but, they would never be caught dead on a Honda simply because it's not a Harley. It just amazes me how the Harley owner's mind works, especially when they admit openly that the Honda is a better bike to ride. Kind of reminds me of a young, fashion conscious woman who wears 6" spiked heel shoes despite the fact that they wobble and hurt like crazy, but, hey they look good right? This is not an attack on Harley owners or Harley bikes, it's just an observation I have come to recognize over the years from watching all my Harley friends love their bikes. No offence intended at all.

Harleys are from Mars, GoldWings are from Earth. Big Grin

It's a testosterone thing. I'd never ride a bike that needs performance enhancers, like those Tour de France bikes use. Confused
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#10 01-22-2013, 08:25 AM,
I often wonder if Lance could have won without the performance enhancers. Such a sad and deceitful story.

#11 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM,
Disappointing to be sure. Had he only stolen a win or two it would be one thing but to fraudulently steal 7 wins then rub the honest racers noses in it is something else. Not to mention the way he vehemently attacked that poor couple that refused to lie for him. This guy is scum, exponentially worse than Ben Johnson and only slightly better than that monster in Newtown.

sorry I get carried away some times
#12 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM,