Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Anyone ever use this Harbor Freight lift table?
IN COMPLETE AGREEMENT WITH VIC'S SENTIMENTS • • • ALSO A STICKLER FOR SAFETY

Here's what can go dangerously wrong with a lift. A BMW LT rider reports how his bike nearly fell off a lift on top of him. Someone had carelessly left a mechanic's stool under one side of the lift causing it to heel over as it was being lowered. READ ALL ABOUT IT. Please !

Safety is both a state of mind, competence, and careful preparedness. In the above story, the rider/BMW LT owner didn't stop using the lift. He just became more of a stickler for safety. Read his "Lessons Learned".

HOWEVER, I still believe that with nearly fanatically cautious approach to safe use of equipment (and not over using equipment beyond its design capability) it is possible to use even a hydraulic motorcycle platform safely. After all, simply riding a GL1200 around the block is potentially dangerous. It's defiantly flirting with Newton's First Law of Motion !
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#16 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM,
I fell off the floor once, but that's another drinking story
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#17 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM,
Thanks or all the reply's.
I was a little concerned about this lift myself.
While I still believe it would be worth it, I do not think I would ever want to leave it up overnight.
So I guess it's time to maybe look into making one myself if I am successful I will post pics when done won't be right away but should be done in a month or so. (If not I will just keep telling everyone I am still working on it I am old and slow)Big Grin
Because spring is coming soon need to get Stella's exhaust leak fixed.
Thanks again for all the input.
Jerry
#18 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM,
have had mine "up" approximately 6 months about 18" off the ground and it has remained there w/o incident,it does have safety stop where it can be held by a solid bar but it places the mc alot higher than it needs to be
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#19 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM,
I use the Princess Auto version of these cheap lifts - foot pedal powered. I level the lift carefully with the screw down feet. I also use a scissor platform jack in conjunction with the lift. The jack has two V fittings that are adjustable which pick up the frame rails - once a bike is set up on that jack, on the lift platform, it is very stable. I also use tie straps of course. My lift is due for some design improvements: a slide in platform for side stands for lighter bikes, junk the nearly useless front wheel chock, and some slide in outriggers to tie straps to in a few locations along the lift...
When I put a bike on the lift I take my time, clear the area around the lift, make sure the lift pedals are removed and stowed out of the way etc. Then I walk my bikes on to the lift, engine running and clutch it up the ramp. I set up a couple straps that can be picked up one handed - I kill the engine in gear, then grab a strap and tension it so the bike will lean on it past center - then I pick up the weight of the bike a bit on the scissor jack and strap the other side and that's it - captured with minimum fuss. Having a non-panicky helper who will apply a hand if things get tippy helps. A bystander who shoves and grabs could lead to a tip over. And trying to push a Wing on to these lifts is quite the ordeal.
Did I mention I stupidly rode the Wing on to the lift the first time? That right there is when I figgered out the lift has no place for a kick stand, and there is no way to get off the bike unless you are 6ft 23in tall. So I rode it backwards off the lift again and got organized to use the walk it up method. When you ride backwards down a ramp, you need to make sure no one has parked behind you, and the eyes are forward and up, because the part of your trip where the rear wheel is on the ground and front is up the ramp brings new meaning to "I can't put both feet on the ground..."

#20 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harbor Freight coupon 6 1,755 06-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Last Post: wpd210
  Remember Pearl Harbor Sgt Dave 4 1,209 12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Last Post: admin
  Lift Sale at Harbor Freight toe_hold 4 1,482 03-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Last Post: