Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
The Ultimate Tire Bead Breaker (Free and Easy)
The last few times I broke a tires bead I was struggling with a C-clamp and tire irons for far too long. Yes I am also too cheap to spend money on the proper equipment, and the garage is kinda full anyway. I had been meaning to make a bead breaker out of 2x4's attached to a wall but never got around to it.

This brings me to the second broken valve stem on my wife's van in the past month (old tires with very long rubber stems). This time as I was contemplating breaking out the clamp, tire Irons, and strap to hold the tire into the wheels well, along with the next 20 mins of struggling, especially with my right hand still in a splint from my operation, I had an epiphany!

Now those who know me personally should sit up and take notice because that kind of thing doesn't exactly happen around here every day, in fact probably not every year (Decade?)

Anyway I took out a scissor jack that had a slightly curved base plate and laid it upon the tire next to the rim to find it was a perfect shape and fit to push the bead down off of the rim. I removed the valve core, then placing the wheel/tire with the jack on top of it under the rear of the van I opened up the jack until it started to lift the van about 5", then smooth as silk the weight of the van pushing down on the tire slid that bead right off of the rim.
I was then easily able to reach in and replace the valve stem, release the jack, and re-inflate the tire again.

[Image: 1df1a142.jpg]
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#1 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM,
I hate to say it, but we were breaking tires back in the 80's with a bumper jack... Works good!
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#2 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM,
And here is one that is not free, but you can take it with you:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-98-beadbrakr.aspx">http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-98-beadbrakr.aspx</a><!-- m -->

I carry a whatchamacallit tire plugging kit, air pressure guage, and inflation hose on board the Wing. This should ensure never needing the puncture equipment....

#3 09-04-2012, 05:02 AM,
unionjack Wrote:The last few times I broke a tires bead I was struggling with a C-clamp and tire irons for far too long. Yes I am also too cheap to spend money on the proper equipment, and the garage is kinda full anyway. I had been meaning to make a bead breaker out of 2x4's attached to a wall but never got around to it.

This brings me to the second broken valve stem on my wife's van in the past month (old tires with very long rubber stems). This time as I was contemplating breaking out the clamp, tire Irons, and strap to hold the tire into the wheels well, along with the next 20 mins of struggling, especially with my right hand still in a splint from my operation, I had an epiphany!

Now those who know me personally should sit up and take notice because that kind of thing doesn't exactly happen around here every day, in fact probably not every year (Decade?)

Anyway I took out a scissor jack that had a slightly curved base plate and laid it upon the tire next to the rim to find it was a perfect shape and fit to push the bead down off of the rim. I removed the valve core, then placing the wheel/tire with the jack on top of it under the rear of the van I opened up the jack until it started to lift the van about 5", then smooth as silk the weight of the van pushing down on the tire slid that bead right off of the rim.
I was then easily able to reach in and replace the valve stem, release the jack, and re-inflate the tire again.

[Image: 1df1a142.jpg]

I dont get it ..... are you saying there is another way? :lol:
#4 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ultimate Dog Tease Juggler 1 947 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Juggler
  foam mats and bead seat SIR tricky 4 1,222 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Last Post: bluewing