Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Right front running light problem--need help
Picked up what you might call a "barn bike" as that it where it had spent most of its life. Guy would only ride it a couple of times a year. It is an '84 Interstate, that once I cleaned it up a bit, fixed an exhaust leak and put new tires on it, it looks pretty good. Had just under 12K miles on it. Put new timing belts on it this weekend. Origionals looked good, but they are 28 years old, so didn't want to take a chance.

Only problem is, the front running light on the right side won't work. I played with the connectors, takeing them apart and reconnecting them and finally got it to work. Then I tried the emergency flashers and only the right side would work, and worked the switch a couple of time, then both sides worked, the cycled the switch and only the right side would work. Once I turned off the emergency flashers, the right running light wouldn't come back on, no power. Turn signal works just fine. Checked the connections at the flashers and they looked clean. I had cycled the emergency flasher switch before I noticed that the running light wouldn't work.

I don't have a manual for the bike, yet, so no wiring diagram, so any help would be appreciated. I am kind of suspecting something in the emergency flasher switch or is there a relay that shuts off the running lights once you turn on the emergency flashers. If so, that might be the problem. Thanks
#1 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM,
sounds like alot of the connectors under the "tank" need some cleaning

welcome to the site from mid md/pa area
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 08-30-2012, 02:31 AM,
The connectors on the left side of the inside of the fairing, I have checked. They are clean, as are the ones in the fairing. "Tank" is off at the moment. Have also checked the connectors at the emergency flashers and turn flasher.
#3 08-30-2012, 08:12 AM,
it may be at the switch.
the bike has been sitting, unused for many years and the contact points are probably oxidized.
if you are getting power to the switch(s) and intermittent out of the switch(s), I suspect the contacts in the switch(s).
secure some contact cleaner from an electronics store, maybe automotive (not WD-40 or Liquid Wrench) but a contact cleaner, and carefully introduce the cleaner to the contacts of the switch(s).
It will probably take some time before the contacts are clean enough to work consistantly, but with use (a great excuse to go for a ride!) all should be working as it should.
I had similar problems with my running lights, (bike sat unused, under a car port for two years) but with the contact cleaner and use, they are working fine now.

-Ride On
~O) ~O) (decaf)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM,
You ar correct, bs175dths. Neoracer was gracious to send me a copy of the wiring diagram so I went to work. I did get to another connector I had missed (not enough light to see it) which was dirty and cleaned it, but no go. Pulled out the voltmeter and found where I had power for the left light, but not the right.

Figured it was in the switch. I had sprayed some cleaner in the housing, but pulled the switch assy off the handlebar and saw the little plate over the turn signal switch. Sprayed it, worked it a few times, the turned on the key and it worked!! :d

Got it all back together, so I am off for a little ride!!

Thanks
#5 08-31-2012, 03:30 PM,
awesome
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 08-31-2012, 11:47 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front running lights 84 Aspencade Cornhusker Joe 2 2,087 01-28-2020, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Cornhusker Joe
  license plate light, neutral light, front brake light problems steelhorseangel 8 4,821 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Front Brake, No Light DanFromKansas 11 3,028 07-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: sludge
  problem with head light and turn signal 3 1,835 09-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Busted running light lens 10 3,179 09-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Last Post: neoracer
  Front running lights 2nd Wing 3 2,158 10-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Last Post: 2nd Wing