Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruise Control Override-Please help me make it faster!
I agree with Vic so far as top speeds go.

Maybe Honda in its Aspencade owner's manual on page 110 was trying to tell us something.

[attachment=0]

Honda engineers seemed to think a top speed of 60 mph is fast enough.

I am amazed and grateful that Vic survived a collision at 100 mph ^Smile^

Attached Files
.jpg   Aspencade stopping.jpg (Size: 185.26 KB / Downloads: 107)
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#16 03-11-2012, 03:17 AM,
dwitgoldwing Wrote:Vic:
I do appreciate the caution and believe me, I don't always fly on my wing...I try to enjoy the ride.
But, where I live, Interstate traffic is very heavy at times and I hate having to be in the right lane and get passed
by semi trucks and all manner of slow moving vehicles. I would rather push ahead to clearer spots with plenty
of free space ahead of me. Average speeds are 75-85 during work days. I use my bike for commuting most every
day during the week, (except for rain, yuck). I'm just not quite ready to slow down and be an old fogey, yet.
At least once a week I push my LTD to 100 and 115 just to enjoy the rush. I have fresh tires mounted and balanced by me.

If I do have a wipeout someday, I'm ready to be with my Creator. In the meantime, I enjoy each day, fully.
I'm not in a hurry to leave this world, yet, but I'm not that worried about crashing, either. I ride to be seen and
have the safest color, (Pearl Yellow).

I just know that on many of the long rides, my LTD cruise isn't up to the task of staying ahead. If I set it at 80,
everybody passes me, (cuz that's actually about 75 mph). Maybe after I have the sidecar mounted I will be forced
to live in the right lane, but when my bike is in 2 wheel mode, middle and left lane for me all the way.

Hey, on a side note: Yay for Vick and his guitar playing/singing!!! Keep it up. The more you sing/play in public, the more enjoyable it is.
Great fun to share something from the heart with an audience. I've enjoyed doing that in church for the past 45 years or so.
Congrats on having a great woman to write and sing about.

Best Wishes.
Don W.

Thanks for the kind words Don.

I'm wondering how a throttle lock would work for you. I've often thought about cruise control for my bike but every time I use the throttle lock I think to myself why waste the money and time. Also, I think that the throttle lock keeps me on my toes better than the cruise control would because I must always gauge traffic and be ready to kill the throttle lock well ahead of time. If that doesn't work you could always spend a few bucks at a machine shop and have some new gears or sensors made for the speedometer gear set that would effectively signal the cruise computer that you're actually going slower than you really are but your speedo would be out also.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#17 03-11-2012, 11:16 AM,
Well I've tried and tried the solution GhostRider suggested for the last month and my cruise on my LTD just will NOT let me set anything above 80mph indicated. I did exactly as you said, but the speed just settles back to 80 each time. I've tried various combinations of setting the max cruise and resume, but nothing works. I'm thinking 80 mph indicated is about 72 mph actual. All I know is my stupid cruise is about useless on KY highways, (unless I just want to live in the right lane and ride like an old fart). My homemade cruise on my yellow bike never gave me this trouble.

I wonder if your bike cruise wasn't modified somehow. I bought my LTD from the original owner and I know he wasn't into mods, very much.

Still hoping for a solution. Everybody passes me except for the slowest trucks.

Darn Honda engineers...
#18 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM,
I discovered a way for overriding the 75 mph limit on the GL1500 cruise control. Maybe the GL1200 has a similar or the same system. Evidently, it has to do with the cruise control sensor in 5th gear being set to a maximum engine speed of 3,000 rpm that limits how fast you can go. The explanation of how the METHOD for overriding the cruise control (figured out in Germany) works follows:

"The cruise control box limits the engine rpm in overdrive (5th gear) to ca. 3,000 rpm (about 75 mph). To keep the same speed in 4th gear, the engine rpm is limited to ca. 4,500 rpm. The red/white and orange/green wires are the 4th and 5th gear signal wires. By cross-connecting those wires (that phrase again), the control box is fooled into thinking we're in 4th gear when we're actually in 5th (overdrive). I didn't find this out - I'm not clever enough. However, I can speak and read technical German, and I found it in a German Goldwing Forum"

Read more: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2789#ixzz1s4a2gJXq">http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... z1s4a2gJXq</a><!-- m -->

ALSO SEE a complete discussion of switching the wiring at:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2789">http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=2789</a><!-- m -->

Is this exactly the same as the earlier suggestion here:
"Beating The ~80 MPH Limit of the GL1500's Cruise Control"?
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#19 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM,
There was a write up somewhere that stated the trick didn't work on years before '94.
I have it saved somewhere...
I think the LTD cruise control is using MPH instead of RPM for cruise setting reference.

One suggestion someone made was to put the bike in 4th gear, set max speed at 80,
switch to 5th gear and hit "Resume" on the cruise.
That doesn't work on my bike, either, (tried it MANY times). Still limits to 80 mph.

I really want to find a fix because I do a lot of interstate riding.

Thanks,

DW
#20 04-15-2012, 05:18 AM,
According to my garmin and state police radar my speedo shows 3 mph faster than I am actually going.
I reran the trick again on my LTD to overide the cruise limit and I may have missed a detail in my first post. I run the bike up to indicated 80 set the cruise. I either push it past that with the throttle or on mine I can hit the accel button and it will go on past that also. However once its released it will drop back to 80 UNLESS I let off the accel button and hit the DECEL button, at which point the buttons funtions act in reverse and decel accelerates and when its released the bike holds that speed. Ive only done it up to 95 dont know if it works beyond that. Hitting accel button once this is done will slow the bike down instead of speeding it up. Go figure :-\
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#21 04-24-2012, 12:17 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Control on SE-i 6 3,934 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Last Post: neoracer
  Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control Installation on 85 Aspencade 8 4,900 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Guest
  After market cruise control Installation SIR tricky 1 1,942 08-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky