Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Newbie with queeries
Hi everyone i am new here. I picked up my first Goldwing ( a GL1200 DL) on Saturday, drove the 200 miles home which was quite enjoyable. This bike has done 64k and has had not had a lot of use in recent years. The ride I had was not what my perception of gold wings was to be. I know the carbs need balancing and it needs a good service. I expected a smooth almost silent glide along the road what I experienced was a cross between a saburu impreza a BMW and a Ural/Dniepr. No slick gear shift, rather noisy in general, quite a lot of transmission whine are all these things all common of the marque or do I have a lot of work to do? All is not a negative experience for me I loved the comfort and riding position and am sure I have made the right decision.
#1 02-27-2012, 02:46 AM,
Welcome to the forum! 8)

Yes, there is "some" trans / final drive whine. If the bike sat for a period of time, it will calm down after a while with more use. Same with shifting. Because you just got it(and you already mentioned it), give it a complete tune up and service. All new fluids, filters, plugs, carb synch, fuel system cleaner, etc... Also consider an upper quality synthetic engine oil.

The GL1200 is a great ride and does many things well. Hope you enjoy the bike!
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#2 02-27-2012, 03:15 AM,
Hello from Whitley Bay - this is an wonderful place to get assistance with your new purchase.The people on this site know everything about the 1200's

If you haven't already discovered them there are a couple of other places that are dedicated to Goldwings

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingdocs.com">http://www.goldwingdocs.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingfacts.com">http://www.goldwingfacts.com</a><!-- m -->

You will need a manual - there are three Clymer, Haynes and Honda. Best strategy is to "obtain" all three.
#3 02-27-2012, 04:03 AM,
Welcome to the site from Baltimore Ontario. This is a good place to be for anything to do with a GL1200. These bikes are fantastic but they are all 25 years and older. They all have a bit of a whine and the gears are a little clunky but that is part of owning a 1200. They are very reliable but they must be maintained like any other bike. One of the good things about this site is that we help each other do that. I have had my 1200 for 7 years now, in that time I do the spring maintenance every year and ride the rest of the year with no or very little issues. The first year I got my bike into the condition I wanted and now I just keep it there. I hope you that you enjoy you 1200 as much as I enjoy mine.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#4 02-27-2012, 04:55 AM,
When my bike isn't making strange noises.....then I worry......

Being an old bike, like everyone else has said, its going to makes noises. Mine is clunky when shifting, but its the norm. You will learn to shift with "less" clunk (applying a slight bit of pressure on the shifter before engaging the clutch and flollowing through with a full shift helps me). Keeping up with the regular maintenance, and you should be fine.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#5 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM,
Clunking and gear whine is a sure sign it needs an oil change. Especially since it hasn't been used a lot recently. Use a good quality oil like the others said and make sure it has no friction modifiers. They will affect the clutch pack due to it being a 'wet clutch' system.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#6 02-27-2012, 12:09 PM,
Welcome aboard from Georgia, just north of Atlanta.
As previously said, a good oil change and some steady riding should clear up some of those noises. I use a synthetic blend which makes shifting smoother, but it will also find any of the smallest leaks to escape from Confusedhock:
The 1200 is a little noisey, not like the 1800 which is very quiet, but nothing like a Harley :d
Just take care of her and she'll take care of you. I have around 200K miles and would not hesitate to go across country tomorrow if I could take the time off to do it.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#7 02-29-2012, 12:04 AM,
Hagafan Wrote:Hi everyone i am new here. I picked up my first Goldwing ( a GL1200 DL) on Saturday, drove the 200 miles home which was quite enjoyable. This bike has done 64k and has had not had a lot of use in recent years. The ride I had was not what my perception of gold wings was to be. I know the carbs need balancing and it needs a good service. I expected a smooth almost silent glide along the road what I experienced was a cross between a saburu impreza a BMW and a Ural/Dniepr. No slick gear shift, rather noisy in general, quite a lot of transmission whine are all these things all common of the marque or do I have a lot of work to do? All is not a negative experience for me I loved the comfort and riding position and am sure I have made the right decision.

Tire type, tire pressure, shock condition/oil type, steering head bearing and swingarm bearing adjustment are all things that make a world of difference in quality of ride from bike to bike so you may want to tweak these items.

The GL1200 is definitely not "electric" quiet as you ride along, thank goodness. You'll hear ticking and whining, but once you become familier with the sounds they seem to subside quite a bit.

Don't know if you understand matching engine speed to road speed (Google it) when shifting, but, if you did your shifts would be very smooth and quiet. When I first starting riding my GL1200 I thought for sure that the transmission was broken inside because of the loud clunking and clanging, now it's just click, click since I learned to shift properly.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM,
welcome from mid md/pa area

i'm sure after awhile those "sounds" will become familiar and acceptable,besides whisper quiet and falling alsleep on two wheels doesn't work out well :d
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#9 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM,
Hagafan, you not only made the right choice, but you're going to love your 1200. I think it's the best kept secret in motorcycling. It's an older bike, and it tours great, runs well, ask for very little back, and is always ready to do another couple of hundred miles. When I got my second home down in Florida, I bought another 1200 out of all the bikes to choose from. My brother-in-law, calls it a "geezer glider", but if I offered to give him one of mine, he'd take it in a second. He also knows that in an all out tour of 300 or 400 miles, his butt would be hurtin' (he has a Suzuki C90) and I'd be able to keep on riding. Best of luck with yours, and I hope you have many years together! Incidentally, you will learn the ins and outs of your bike, and recognize the different sounds, ticks, and clunks!
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#10 03-01-2012, 04:03 PM,