Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please tell me this style tire is O.K
I had a motorcycle place mount two tires on my bike. What I dont like is that the rear tire used to be flat in shape where the rubber meets the road. The new tire is curved like a road race tire. It looks like a rice rocket tire to me. Is this o.k for a cruise bike? I'd like more meat on the ground but its already done.
I hope some of you have the same type design.

Attached Files
.jpg   photo (1).JPG (Size: 114.32 KB / Downloads: 216)
.jpg   photo (2).JPG (Size: 146.34 KB / Downloads: 212)
#1 02-11-2012, 04:21 PM,
normal motorcycle tires are rounded where the rubber meets the road remember your bike leans on corners. your old tire was probably worn flat or the po was a darksider ( not gonna get into the discussion on that here) but yes a rounded tire is normal for a motorcycle tire
[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#2 02-11-2012, 04:25 PM,
Siberiancat Wrote:normal motorcycle tires are rounded where the rubber meets the road remember your bike leans on corners. your old tire was probably worn flat or the po was a darksider ( not gonna get into the discussion on that here) but yes a rounded tire is normal for a motorcycle tire
That is very good to hear. Just wanted to make sure because this new tire looks like I'm going road racing.
#3 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM,
More important would be if these tires are rated to tak
e the heavy load....
#4 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:More important would be if these tires are rated to tak
e the heavy load....
The tire on there was rated for 825lbs. This tire says 908lbs so that's good.
#5 02-11-2012, 06:14 PM,
you never did tell us what brand of tire and model this is
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 02-11-2012, 08:46 PM,
neoracer Wrote:you never did tell us what brand of tire and model this is
Yeah I was just worried about the issue of this rounded thread pattern compared to the one I took off that was shaped more flat like a car tire. The shop is very professional and my brother in law said they would of looked the tire up in a book specific for a 85 goldWing. Bottom line is it looks like less rubber will meet the road compared to what I had, and why do I need all that side thread? Again, it looks like a race bike tire to me.
I didn't want to get into a who thinks what brand is best kinda thing.
#7 02-12-2012, 04:53 AM,
Actually you will end up with more rubber on the road than your old square tire because the rounded edges will maintain consistent contact with the road surface regardless of what angle your bike leans and bikes lean a lot. Your old square tire would make for an unstable ride in anything but straight up and straight ahead driving. You might have a hard time getting accustomed to your new tire because it will constantly feel like the bike wants to tip to one side or the other, but, once you do get used to the new feel you will appreciate the responsiveness of your bike's handling.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 02-12-2012, 06:27 AM,
admin Wrote:Actually you will end up with more rubber on the road than your old square tire because the rounded edges will maintain consistent contact with the road surface regardless of what angle your bike leans and bikes lean a lot. Your old square tire would make for an unstable ride in anything but straight up and straight ahead driving. You might have a hard time getting accustomed to your new tire because it will constantly feel like the bike wants to tip to one side or the other, but, once you do get used to the new feel you will appreciate the responsiveness of your bike's handling.
Once again all the comments and information is appreciated. Looking forward to spring rides.
#9 02-12-2012, 07:25 AM,