Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Head gasket repair question...
After 30yrs of bodging jobs on short term vehicles I'm now on your side and taking the advice as I don't change bike and car every 6 months...this Wing will probably be with me for a long time!
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#31 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM,
When my head gasket was on it's way out, the bike had a tendancy to run hot for a couple weeks. The day it went out, it was leaking coolant out the exhaust. Not the back of the exhaust, but in the center where the header pipe joins the back section. It also ran very hot, with the fan on the entire way home. Lots of white smoke too. The last couple miles it actually vapor locked, I had to shut it off a few times and let it cool down.

While my radiator was off, I took it to a local rad shop and had it pressure tested and cleaned. Actually, it was already very clean, and the pressure test showed no leaks. Not much cash to get that done and good piece of mind once the bike was back on the road.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#32 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM,
Thanks Tropicalsuns for the parts list with numbers, it made ordering very easy. My problem is my supplier didnt have enough Honda valve stem seals, but lots of aftermarket at a very low price, I'm struggling in the UK to find them quickly, are the cheap ones an absolute no no or probably ok given the time factor as well as the price :?:

Update;- Just recieved a reply from an Ebay bike shop in Wales ,he has genuine Honda seals for £1 each...thats cheered me up :d
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#33 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM,
Well finally got the bike together and took a twenty minute test drive... Ran great!!!
#34 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM,
...continue to check for leaks, either coolant or oil at all the gasket locations where you removed and replaced parts. Water jackets and water pump, radiator hoses and fuel lines, head and valve cover gaskets.
Also check your coolant auxillary tank to make sure it is completely clean of oil (if you had oil in there as a sign of head gasket failure, it may have small traces still floating around)
Basically, recheck your work, and once satisfied all is good, go for a much deserved loooooong ride to get reacquainted.

Congrats!!

-Ride On ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#35 03-05-2012, 08:48 AM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:Well finally got the bike together and took a twenty minute test drive... Ran great!!!

Awesome Marty, good to hear.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#36 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM,
Schoolboy error to report, finally doing the heads, I removed the big cam journal clamp, undoing A_B_C_D bolts a bit at a time, lapped valves where they looked a bit rough, fitted Honda stem seals, then replaced cam clamp slowly tightening A_B_C_D...before I've got anywhere near tight the camshaft will not turn freely, I added a little oil but still the same so I stopped..have I made a stupid mistake somewhere?
Cheers...Charlie
#37 03-24-2012, 11:33 AM,
The cam does not turn freely if the valves and springs are in place, although if you're talking about an empty head then it should turn freely. Also, if the valves are facing down on a table you may have bent valves by trying to turn the cam because th valves come out past the combustion chamber. So, I really need to know if you're talking valves and springs in or out, to give you an educated answer.

#38 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM,
When the valves are all closed the cambelt pulley can be turned by hand a few degrees maybe 1/16 of a turn or less quite easily until the rockers press onto the valves and it resists. When I bolted the cam back in and tightened the assembly a little, the cam pulley was virtually locked with the cam lobes not touching anything like it was clamped to the bearing/journal.
Cheers...Charlie
#39 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM,
Did you place the cam bearing caps back in their correct locations? Is the cam seal binding? Possibly a foreign ofject between the cam and bearing? If you just had a valve job I'd mention that maybe the shop did not grind off the tips of the valves (ground seat and ground valve mean the valve goes deeper into the head so it needs equivalent length ground off the valve stem or it binds on the cam) but you said you only hand lapped. I suggest that you dissassemble and carefully inspect everything with a magnifier. Could even be a bent valve stuck in its guide. Good luck, I hope you find something very simple to correct.

#40 03-24-2012, 02:36 PM,
I had the camshaft in the wrong position so a couple of valves were slightly open, spun it round a couple of times and it turns ok by hand with all the valves closed..now for the next head, just as well I'm not in a rush Tongue
Cheers...Charlie
#41 03-25-2012, 03:59 AM,