Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Power loss/ miss firing
Two part ?
1. I recently purchased gl1200a with 77k mi. I've noticed a snapping sound coming from around top area of motor. It does not always coincide with rpm speed and is somewhat eratic. Checked spark wires when changing plugs and relays / wiring under false tank for any spark arching & cannot see any. I suspected possible timing belt, valves, lifters etc. , but is erratic not always making sound & sometimes always. Any ideas??
2. Had some smoking @ start up and chanced oil to 20-50w & added 1/2 bottle motor honey. It has stopped the smoking but yesterday I wound gears out to around 4000 rpm. At which it lost power and would not go any higher, and developed a miss. After that it lost power @ 3000rpm and so on till power loss and miss was there at all rpm. After sitting over night, it seems to run fine?? But not have re tried a higher rpm than 2500-3000. Could this be a valve sticking from motor honey?, timing , fuel, sensor??? I also have new air cleaner & fuel filters to put in this week.
Sorry for long post, but any suggestions appreciated
87 1200A
85 LTD
81 1100
81 KZ1000
58 Harley
62 Allstate
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... M_sharview
If everything's coming you're way, you're in the wrong lane
#1 01-24-2012, 06:22 PM,
snapping sound defintely suggests sparkplug wire leakage,easiest way to check to at nite with false tank removed in a very dark garage,even better is a light spray of windex on wires at same time,cracked coils also come to mind,bad ngk caps happen to whether or not they ohm out correctly

your loss of power could come from the same area and misfiring wires could have ended up with fouled plugs

rule out one problem at a time
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM,
Thanks NEO. I'll take your advice and try to eliminate one thing at a time, starting w/ easiest first. I'm a little afraid to wind out again soon, because of going back to running like crap and staying that way. I've done plugs, now will do filters & check for any arching on wiring. I'm just hoping the (snap,tick,click like ) sound isn't coming from inside motor somewhere. It's diffinetly near the top though. Also I really like the looks of your wing, it looks a lot like my '87 wine berry. I can't post pic from my phone, but will soon.
New member,(1/24/12)
Garycw
87 1200A
85 LTD
81 1100
81 KZ1000
58 Harley
62 Allstate
#3 01-25-2012, 12:00 AM,
Don't forget to spray around the coils. Years ago I had the same problem with my 84 and it turned out to be a cracked housing on one of the ignition coils.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 01-25-2012, 04:37 AM,
Thanks, I'm suspecting it could be one of coils arching hopefully.Easier to fix than taking motor apart. Today a new issue came up that when I turn right turn signal on the voltmeter pegs hard negative charge -10. The front & rear signals still flash as normal but seems to go to short. Ive taken lens out , checked wires there and under false tank but haven't found cause yet.
87 1200A
85 LTD
81 1100
81 KZ1000
58 Harley
62 Allstate
#5 01-25-2012, 05:21 PM,
almost sounds like the voltmeter is wired into the turn signal circuit,you might change and connect voltmeter temp to the battery and see if that corrects itself

any "bad" conditions besides the volt reading when this happens
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 01-26-2012, 09:49 AM,
Thanks again Neo, I think you may have hit on something. There was an intermittent connection to voltmeter which is tied into another wire. Hmmm turn signal maybe? I moved the wire around and and it started working, and was going to fix later. It didn't ground out the volt meter before with right turn, but with bad connections, it may now be touching ground somewhere there.
87 1200A
85 LTD
81 1100
81 KZ1000
58 Harley
62 Allstate
#7 01-26-2012, 11:32 AM,
Hmmm, did you notice if the voltmeter needle was going up and down when you had the turn signal on?
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 01-26-2012, 11:55 AM,
I have found the mystery snapping sound while replacing filters. It seems to be the fuel pump death rattle. I ordered the fuel filter but they sent fit 1/4" line. I'll have to get one at napa to put on and see if it helps
87 1200A
85 LTD
81 1100
81 KZ1000
58 Harley
62 Allstate
#9 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM,
Gary, I don't know if this is any help or not but I remember years ago before the Voyager, that Baby would Smoke & "rattle until warm if she was started cold after being left on the side stand for any length of time. Most @ the timne agreed this was normal & since I Triked her no smoke or rattle. Go figure. :-\ :-\ :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
'85 Honda GL 1200 (fully dressed) I. (sold)
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."
"Grab life by the handlbars an hang on."

#10 02-03-2012, 05:30 PM,
It sounds like (no pun intended) you have found your clicking problem. I too had an intermittent click sound and I found my fuel pump was the culprit when I reached down and touched it while at stop signals.
I also had a pair of cracked coil housings. One was a large crack, the other was just a fracture. BOTH put on quite a light show. I know you don't have the problem, but for those reading this, testing in the dark makes it easier, and I would do it outside. Given, it takes longer for unleaded gas to do to the human body what leaded gas used to, I am not a fan of exhaust fume headaches.

As far as the loss of power, keep this in mind when you are considering oil additives, both the clutch and the stator use the engines oil. Any additive for the valve train also goes to the clutch and stator.

Always deal with problems one at a time because solving one may reduce or eliminate the other. Plus, you won't feel like you are chasing your tail.

Keep us posted with progress and problems.

=Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#11 02-03-2012, 09:29 PM,