Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
1200 ltd main fuel filter
Hi Anyone aware if the main fuel filter is washable or a straight replace job if so are they still available?

Allan
#1 12-27-2011, 01:18 PM,
bumblebee Wrote:Hi Anyone aware if the main fuel filter is washable or a straight replace job if so are they still available?

Allan

In my opinion, ordinary automotive fuel filters are cheap enough (costing about $10) and infrequently replaced to be discarded and replaced. I never understood the appeal of a "washable" filter. No matter what filters are made of, "washing" them out takes a lot more than soap and water. Some trapped materials are only removed by expensive organic solvents such as benzene, toluene, acetone, and ethyl acetate. Other trapped contaminants like iron oxide (rust) from slowly rusting gas tanks cannot be removed by anything [except very strong and concentrated acids like hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) and/or nitric acid ... both of which would eat most filter materials plus their metal canister].

Personally, I like the pretty, see through chrome and glass filter :
[attachment=1]
that sells for $6.50 with FREE SHIPPING(!).
After changing all the fuel lines in my '85 GL1200 Interstate (which is simpler than in the Ltd. and SEI) and installing the glass filter, I had no problems or fuel leaks, and experienced either an imaginary or real increase in performance.

True, none of the after market filters look like the Ltd's OEM There are special fittings to attach the OEM fuel filter to the fuel lines. But it seems to me that with some fuel line changes, simpler non OEM filters for less than $10 can be made to replace the OEM LTD and SEI filters that nowadays even used sell for $30, new for $37.30, $39.32, or $46.69, .
[attachment=0]

At another GoldWing site, commenting on replacing a fuel filter for a 1986 SEI (same as the Ltd), the consensus was that Emgo paper filters disintegrate: "... Several of us had the paper EMGO filters glue disintegrate on us.. paper part was just floating in the bowl... I went to a glass filter from autozone with replaceable plastic filter and no glue." Most posts here agree that any stable and efficient fuel filter can be used for GoldWings.

So far as I can tell, there is nothing special or magical about the fuel filtering system for any of the GL1200s other than size and shape. After all, the filters merely interrupt the line between the fuel tank and fuel pump, and bits and pieces of crap in the fuel that can clog carbs or injectors, must be removed before the fuel enters the fuel pump. As I implied above, after running several hundred gallons of fuel through a filter it is essentially irreversibly and permanently changed (degraded) ... and the concept of "washing it out" is over simplified.

There is also a smallish, inexpensive metal fuel filter claimed to be "universal" for GL1200s. But clearly, the fuel lines must be modified to replace the fittings for the OEM LTD and SEI filter. Then hose clamps instead of the OEM fittings need to be used for holding the filter in line.

WARNING: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A "MINOR" FUEL LEAK !!!

Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Attached Files
.tiff   Fuel filter glass.tiff (Size: 83.71 KB / Downloads: 376)
.jpg   Fuel filter glass.jpg (Size: 47.27 KB / Downloads: 371)
.jpg   '85 GL1200 Ltd fuel sys .jpg (Size: 242.35 KB / Downloads: 347)
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#2 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM,
The LTD / SEI have a specific stamped steel sealed canister style fuel filter. It also has banjo bolts and copper crush washers were the fuel lines attach. Replace the crush washers. It will leak under pump pressure. Honda dealer-only specific. Last time I bought one it was $45 and took two weeks to get. Last I knew, they are still available. Cannot be washed out. But I guess you could try. Probably will end up wrecking the paper element inside.....
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#3 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM,
fuel filter is only available thru honda,aftermarket's just are too big to fit into stock barckets
FILTER, FUEL
16900-MG9-951 about $38 several places online
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 12-27-2011, 06:51 PM,
Thanks guys for the help, very interesting information, I assumed the canister filter was specific to the Ltd and SEi due to the higher pump pressures. Granpah are you saying that you have successfully replaced the Ltd filter with the glass filter you have mentioned? Or did you do this on a carb model?

Thanks
Bumblebee
#5 12-28-2011, 03:27 AM,
bumblebee Wrote:I assumed the canister filter was specific to the Ltd and SEi due to the higher pump pressures. Granpah are you saying that you have successfully replaced the Ltd filter with the glass filter you have mentioned? Or did you do this on a carb model?

Thanks
Bumblebee

The filter I replaced was on an '85 Interstate ... a carb model. The only "problem" I had is that it did not exactly fit into the mounting. But after a small adjustment, I could get it mounted. Thereafter, it worked just fine.

Others owning a SEI or LTD have written elsewhere (see link,. above) they used after market filters and only had trouble with Emgo filters. It's worth checking with a GL1200 experienced Honda mechanic or others HERE with SEI or LTD bikes (it'd be nice to hear from them) who have substituted after market filters for an OEM.

Best wishes,
Gran'pah

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#6 12-28-2011, 04:09 AM,
i have a Wix # 33556 (Napa# 3556) filter here that is about 15% larger,haven't used it only because it wouldn't mount in the stock mounting bracket,but keep it just in case i want to chase a gremlin that i think is filter related sometime in the future,at least i know that if on a trip i could easily obtain an acceptable replacement somewhere outside a honda dealer
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM,
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND:

This LTD filter thing was already discussed HERE on our site last year.

Last year, the issues of threaded end connectors of the LTD (SEI) and also PRESSURE inside the the filter came up.

Now then, from my very long personal research chemistry laboratory experiences (first learned in the 1960s at the U of Alberta, Edmonton :d ) a well tightened hose clamp between heavy rubber, high pressure hosing and glass tubing can readily withstand pressures in excess of 50-60 PSI (commonly used in a hydrogenation apparatus). But as you get into the 100s of PSIs you MUST use threaded couplings (and don't forget to use Teflon tape for sealing). My guess is that to be on the safe side, long ago 1980s Honda engineers decided to put in threaded filter end couplings for fuel systems operating above the pressures produced by gravity under a ... let's say ... one meter column of fuel.

At the end of the day, what counts is SAFETY = NO FUEL LEAKS = NO FIRES. So from the safety point of view, I look at what insurance costs, and $45 (cost of a Ltd/SEI, OEM filter ... click on $ links above) for several years of "fire insurance" is very cheap. On the other hand, if a LOT of LTD and/or SEI owners replaced the fuel hosing and were able to replace the OEM filter with the common straight nipple filter PLUS tight fitting hose clamps (beware of over tightening the clamps and cutting through the fuel line!!!) then O.K. ... save the extra $40.

Be safe, then have a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

#8 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GL1200 LTD - With EFI - Fuel Filter BikerNewsman 17 9,248 08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Last Post: BikerNewsman
  Fuel Filter For 1985 GL1200 LTD w/ CFI BikerNewsman 8 5,138 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Last Post: BikerNewsman
  CHANGING FUEL FILTER: Question of type + Safety Warning Granpah 19 9,610 07-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Guest
  replacement fuel filter 12 6,546 08-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Last Post: neoracer
  What is the advantag of fuel injection over carbs in gl 1200 4 2,807 03-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Last Post: admin
  Fuel Filter 85 LTD al smith 6 3,169 09-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Guest
  fuel filter??? mundsgoldwing 10 4,653 01-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Last Post: admin