Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Wheel sizes
fysty-1 Wrote:Why is there an inch difference between the front & rear wheel? Also could the smaller rear be put on the front? Why is it you can get custom rims for nearly every car, bike or truck ever built but we wingers are stuck with only one style of wheel :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

hey AD,
I think it all boils down to demand. most wingers aren't willing to pat $800 to $1200 for a custom wheel so it's not practical for a manufacture to produce them in the quantity it would take to make any kind of profit and thats the bottom line.

most if not all road bikes have a larger front wheel. I think it has to do with the handling quality of the ride. JMHO. :wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#1 07-10-2007, 10:14 AM,
fysty-1 Wrote:You know Myplace, that there are only about 6 or 7 bolt patterns to cover majority of cages and most wheel manuf. now use multi bolt pattern centers. With all the different models that Mother Honda builds, why can't there be some conformity? Eg :- The VTX has a few wheel option including wires ( which is what I want). So why can they not be used on the wing which is basically a dressed up VTX? :? :? :? :? :? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah, but you'd look pretty funny with a automobile wheel on your Wing![Image: laughing.gif]
seriously though, I agree with you. it would have made a lot more since to use a little more universal design between bikes, after all a wheel is a wheel...
sort of.
:wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#2 07-10-2007, 12:26 PM,
You know Angela you could have a machine shop build some hubs for you then you could have them chromed and then use some Harley wire wheels and spokes and probably do it all for less than a $1000. per wheel if you're careful at the Harley swap meets. It's one way to get it done. Ask around at different machine shops in your area in the off season. You'll need to be very careful about the space needed for the brake caliper and you might even need to machine a little off the calipers as well to make clearance room for the spokes but I believe that it's doable if the machinist is good. Before you start you might want to have an engineer calculate the load bearing capacity of the spokes and dictate the spoke pattern and the size and number of spokes needed to carry your Wing. Most engineers would do this at no charge if you are having work done at their shop you just need to give them weight and wheel size dimensions.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM,
Big Grin AD,

Have you thought of having your original wheels powder coated a color you like?

I had mine done. Need to remove tires and bearings. Local coater did mine for $50 each. LOVE 'em

dp 8)
#4 07-11-2007, 04:38 AM,
Angela, why don't you ask around and see if there is some way of adapting wire baskets to your wheels. It may or may not work but it's worth looking into.

#5 07-11-2007, 08:27 AM,
That would look sharp and be affordable I would think if it works.

#6 07-12-2007, 01:31 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help on new tire sizes for my 1984 Aspencade yiterp 2 1,719 08-26-2007, 05:07 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky