Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Pulse Generator removal question
All,

The 85 GL1200I project I'm working on is going to need the pulse generator sensors replaced . When the starter solenoid shorted it took out the main wiring harness, starter solenoid, pulse generator wires.
Just to make sure I'm referring to the correct part, its located front right side, behind the timing belt heat shield, and just behind ( looking from the side) the right front exhaust pipe .

Looking at a down loaded Haynes manual, I don't see a actual section on the removal and replacement of the pulse generator sensors. Is this a engine in replacement ? Does anyone have a procedure Doc for this , thanks.

enjoy,
#1 10-18-2011, 05:13 PM,
On the 85 and later models...[attachment=0]

Page 5-3 in the Haynes manual

Attached Files
.jpg   Pulse Generators.jpg (Size: 77.43 KB / Downloads: 431)
#2 10-18-2011, 07:52 PM,
kwatt , thanks for the info on both forums ..
#3 10-18-2011, 10:20 PM,
not sure but what u are referring to may not be the pg wires but maybe the shift sensor wires since you are talkig about the lower right side area
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 10-18-2011, 11:22 PM,
Just be grateful it is not an 84, those PG's are inside the rear case of the engine and require the pulling of the entire engine to access.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#5 10-19-2011, 06:01 AM,
Thanks to all for the info , in fact it is the gearshift sensor that fried. Already found the replacement and gaskets , now just to get it and install .. Thanks again.
#6 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM,
Does anyone have a link to the complete PG replacement process? In these forums, it sounds like a simple job but the Haynes manual makes it about a 3 day event. Anyone recommend a better manual or source?
#7 07-23-2012, 12:01 PM,
After 84 with PG's at the front

Going by memory

Drain coolant, (bolt below water pump cover.

remove two screws holding water pump cover (I find it easier than removing lower rad hose)

remove seat, pockets, false tank, lower L&R fairing sides, L&R inner cowls.

remove rad cap and hose from rad to coolant overflow container ( I usually remove it from the rad rather than from the container)

loosen upper rad hose clamp and lift hose up from thermostat cover ( I use a 2x1" 24" piece of oak to pry it up.)

remove two lower bolts holding rad onto frame.

pull rad out and while holding rad disconnect the fan connector, if you can get your hands in prior to removing rad do it that way. Lower rad out and down.

remove four bolts on timing belt covers.

disconnect the pg connector (left side of frame) tie a long piece of string to the PG cable it will help threading the new one up. tie the other end to the handlebars or somewhere.

remove 4 bolts holding the two PG coils, it is tight but you can remove pg's without removing the belts.

bolt the new ones up and reverse the procedure.

If you have done it before it could be done in about two hours, but I tend to take a nap on the floor during the procedure Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#8 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM,
You do not have to drain the coolant and remove the radiator to do this, just the lower plastic covers and the timing belt covers. It would be easier if you loosen the radiator bottom bolts and pull it forward 1" though.

Obviously removal of the radiator would make the pulling and install of new PG's more accessible, but a lot more steps involved in getting there.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#9 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM,
If you have the external alternator with the 3.5" pulley the pulley will need to come off to access one of the timing belt bolts, hence removal of rad and draining the coolant.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#10 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM,
Thank you so much gents. Like I say the off brand manual had me field stripping the bike to nothing and I was told you didn't NEED to remove the radiator as it is not easy to burp all the air out, etc. Hope to have it up and a few days.
#11 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM,
unionjack Wrote:Just be grateful it is not an 84, those PG's are inside the rear case of the engine and require the pulling of the entire engine to access.

In all my years with GL1200's I have only seen one failure of the pulse generators on an '84, but, many pulse generator failures on '85 and up. Fortunately, if they do fail on an '84 you do not need to remove the engine, you just pull the swingarm and you then find lots of access space to get at the pulse generators and the clutch while you're at it.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#12 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM,
Wow, I got all excited when unionjack said you didn't have to pull the radiator, then tricky had to mention the alternator conversion pulley (mine is 5.25"). Oh well, been there, done that, as they say... :YMSIGH:

Does anyone know where to find new pg's? Neoracer said he bought some new not too long ago, but a quick Google search has me coming up empty.
#13 10-26-2012, 10:40 AM,
That is good news about not having to pull the engine, Vic. Plus, your only having seen one fail on an '84 is comforting.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#14 10-26-2012, 02:50 PM,
26cowboy Wrote:Wow, I got all excited when unionjack said you didn't have to pull the radiator, then tricky had to mention the alternator conversion pulley (mine is 5.25"). Oh well, been there, done that, as they say... :YMSIGH:

Does anyone know where to find new pg's? Neoracer said he bought some new not too long ago, but a quick Google search has me coming up empty.
It would be best to buy them from an OEM source. Check the local dealers prices, and then compare that with the on-line motorcycle superstores. Either source will have to order them for you.

Two places I have used for OEM parts are <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hdlparts.com/">http://www.hdlparts.com/</a><!-- m --> and <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hondapartsline.com/">http://www.hondapartsline.com/</a><!-- m -->
#15 10-27-2012, 09:31 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pulse generator test dvjoiner 4 4,418 03-27-2021, 03:09 PM
Last Post: JPap
  Pulse Generator Resistance 5 3,140 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  No spark, won't start now after pulse generator replacement chorvath 18 8,083 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Last Post: goinwingin
  pulse generator wire connetion 6 3,413 10-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Last Post: kwatts
  Pulse Generator Lesson? KnoxSwift 10 5,094 07-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Last Post: KnoxSwift
  What is an ECU, ignitor or a pulse generator? admin 13 8,711 10-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Last Post: admin