Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Bike won't start.....
My bike was running well last evening riding home. Parked her overnight. Went outside to go to work and she won't turn over. I turn the key to on, yes the engine is switched to run and choke is open. When the key is initially put to the on position, she will start to crank and then I loose all power to the entire bike when I hold the start button in. As soon as I release the button I get power back to the entire bike. Need help figuring this out. :?: I am just getting to work now and posting off my phone, so I will try to reply as quick as I can if any one needs more info. I don't know where to start......
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#1 07-12-2011, 10:13 AM,
Bad battery or the main dogbone fuse is cracked.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM,
Sounds like the battery went south. It can happen overnight.
#3 07-12-2011, 11:53 AM,
I did pull battery cover off and saw some acid build up on the terminals. I will check the dogbone fuse....no I haven't solder yet. I will clean the contacts and see from there. I hope it not the battery cause I just bought It beginning of season....
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#4 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM,
Cleaned up the terminals and still nothing. The dog-bone fuse looked good so I took a peek at the yellow wire connector. Pretty burnt up. I am going to hard wire these and hopefully that does it. I was going to go do it now but a storm is about to roll in, hopefully knock this heat and humidity down a bit, and I gotta run off to work so probably do it tomorrow.....wish me luck.

[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=400]

[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=401]

[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=402]
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#5 07-13-2011, 07:33 AM,
Was able to rewire the yellow wires.....still the same symptoms. Going to give the battery a good charge and see if I get anything tomorrow morning.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#6 07-13-2011, 09:25 AM,
Did you do a load test on the battery? I had the same symtoms as you, I took my battery terminals off the battery and used jumper cables to my lawn tractor, the bike started so I knew my bike battery was the problem.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#7 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM,
I am at work so I will mess with it more in the morning.......thank you for input tho.....I am suspecting its just the battery drained cause of burnt plug
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#8 07-13-2011, 01:04 PM,
Well, after an 8 hour charge, she came to life. I tested the voltage at the accessory terminal and had a bit over 12 volts at idle and at 3500 rpm I had 13.8 volts. I am happy with those readings.....

I do still have a slow start though. She takes a few cranks before she comes to life..I think I will have the battery load tested.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#9 07-14-2011, 07:37 AM,
Pan,

When I bought my wing, the owner said that the battery was brand new. Whether it was or not, who knows. It always started up, although I thought it was slow to start. I noticed in the mornings that the cooler it was, the less "oomph" the battery had. I always had great readings and always kept it maintained. I always wondered about the battery and if it was the right one or if it had a bad cell, not enough amps, or whatever. At 30 degrees, forget about it; she's not going to start, period.

This spring, I bought a new Yuasa gel cell. Now the old gal is easy to fire up; doesn't matter if she's hot or cold. (The BIKE).

My volt readings at idle and cruising speed never did change, but there is simply no comparison between my new battery and the old one. I'm thinking your on the right path having it load tested. I'm anxious to know how it tests.

P.S. I'm not promoting the Yuasa as some folks don't care for them, but it was the best battery that I could afford at the time. I also got a heavier battery with higher amps.
#10 07-14-2011, 03:07 PM,
Well we went to go ride and now my wires bike won't start....killed the battery trying to start it....I will get it tested when I get both bikes squared away lol
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#11 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM,
NO! That just ain't right. The better half doesn't like to ride 2 up?
#12 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM,
Nope.....just makes her depressed.....plus talk about a back seat driver.... #-O
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#13 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM,
I'll take that as a "she doesn't read my posts on this msg board"? lol
#14 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM,
Lol she actually does read this board lol
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#15 07-14-2011, 04:42 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will the bike start with the fairing removed? YES! Chas 7 977 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Having to short starter relay to start the bike, new relay RCB 5 719 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Last Post: RCB