Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Tire help please
I want to look at new tires for my GL1200i. I found a pair of elite 2's RWL tires for $289 shipped.

Heres my questions.

1) Is that a good price.

2) I'm only guessing but are elite 2's older? do I need to be concerned that they have been laying around for awhile?
3) do elite 3's come in RWL (raised white letter)

4) any good sources for tires.

5) and I hate to ask but I'm at work, anyone know what sizes I need? Front is 16 and rear is 15 right?
[Image: th_GoldWing.jpg]
#1 06-30-2011, 07:50 AM,
judd9571 Wrote:I want to look at new tires for my GL1200i. I found a pair of elite 2's RWL tires for $289 shipped.

Heres my questions.

1) Is that a good price.
2) I'm only guessing but are elite 2's older? do I need to be concerned that they have been laying around for awhile?
3) do elite 3's come in RWL (raised white letter)

4) any good sources for tires.

5) and I hate to ask but I'm at work, anyone know what sizes I need? Front is 16 and rear is 15 right?

1 Price.... I wouldnt know (edited A friend had a set of E3's from the motorcycle super store quoted at US$282 free shipping to US of course) but don't quote me on that Smile

2 Older..... when did they stop making them... getting them on the internet can make it kind of hard to know when they were made..... if 5 years old, I wouldnt want them.

3 I go to my local stealer.. he wants double the price to install tires if I don't buy them from him... can't blame him either

4 Sizes

Recommended Front Tire:
Tire : Elite 3 Bias | Size : MT90B16 | PSI/Loaded : 36

Recommended Rear Tire
:
Tire : Elite 3 Bias | Size : MV85B15 | PSI Rear/Loaded : 40

Alternative Front Tire:
Tire : 491 Elite II | Size : MT90B16 | PSI/Loaded : 36

Alternative Rear Tire:
Tire : 491 Elite II | Size : MV85B15 | PSI Rear/Loaded : 40
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 06-30-2011, 08:07 AM,
Elite II they stopped making about four to six years ago.

I agree they look the best on our older wings, especially with the RWL, but they are all too old now.

Ask the seller what the manufacturing date is on those tires, that is the four number code in the raised rectangular block on the side wall indicating week and year of manufacture.

The Elite III is the new product, looks like something you would see on a sport bike, but rubber older than 5 years gets hard and brittle and will not grip the road as well.

Of course they also will not wear out since they can be like riding on iron! Confusedhock:

Then again I have my last set of EII's on my 1200 right now, the rear I just installed is a used 4-5 year old with 3/4 of the tread left on it from an old rim I took off a few years back, and the front I purchased online to match, unfortunately it has a 9 year old Manufacturing date on it!!!!!!
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#3 06-30-2011, 08:57 AM,
Elite II tires are still available from Dunlop. Just Google Dunlop Elite 2 and you will find lots of places to get them. They do come in raised white letters. Prices will vary greatly depending on the dealer.
#4 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM,
When I switched from the E2's to the E3's I noticed a huge difference the way the bike handled road snakes, the long cracks in pavement. The E2's wanted to follow the snakes and I could feel the pull in the handle bars. The E3's don't even notice the snakes, they just ride over them smoothly.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#5 07-01-2011, 02:21 PM,
sundance Wrote:Elite II tires are still available from Dunlop. Just Google Dunlop Elite 2 and you will find lots of places to get them. They do come in raised white letters. Prices will vary greatly depending on the dealer.

I sent an email to Dunlop asking about the EII there answer was: they still have EIII's available, I am going to call them on Tuesday.

We think dealers who still have them EII's are possibly getting rid of old stock. Sure if you go through a set of tires in a year, a 4 year old tire at bargain prices might be a good thing.
The price he was quoted for the EII's was about $60 higher than the price I was given a few months ago for the EIII's

#6 07-01-2011, 05:29 PM,
I just installed a set of E IIs, RWL. They were some higher than the E IIIs. I wanted the RWLs. As far as I know the E IIIs are not available in RWL.
Bob
#7 07-01-2011, 05:47 PM,
Thank you all for the responses. Interesting comment about the 3's vs. 2's with the road snakes.I kind of want the RWL. But it will probably come done to price, maybe!
[Image: th_GoldWing.jpg]
#8 07-02-2011, 06:02 AM,
Again please ask the seller for the tire date code before you purchase an EII. Mine was 9 years old when it arrived here, I knew it was going to be an older tire, but not that old.

#9 07-02-2011, 12:10 PM,
Since I just bought a pair of E3's for $270 shipped, that seems a little high for E2s. I don't think the E3's come with RWL, but I'm not certain.
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#10 07-02-2011, 03:15 PM,
No they don't, however I believe there are some white wall tires for Harleys that might fit our wings, not sure about the load rating though.

#11 07-02-2011, 08:38 PM,
I came here hoping also to get some tires; I've been riding baldies for a month now. I got a new rear tire a year or so ago and seemed to only get about 8k miles at the most, if that, does this seem normal. Also, I have another question... what could have the po done to the front tires that they seem to stay inflated even without air. And, if I try to put in the 36psi, They're so hard it looks like they're blow. Never seen anything like it. I'm kind of glad, at least if they're bald and I get a flat... they're still hard.

So summary... I'm reading I should get Dunlop E3... two questions.
1. What kind of milage should I get normally :-| ?
2. Why is my front tire still inflated with zero psi? :-\
#12 08-08-2011, 03:52 PM,
Mileage, a lot better than E2's

0 PSI hhmm maybe the valve is stuck, take the valve out completely

#13 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM,
tricky Wrote:Mileage, a lot better than E2's

0 PSI hhmm maybe the valve is stuck, take the valve out completely
It had said it had about 8 psi.... I blew out the air when adding more made it scary hard at 19 psi. No... the valve was working... but, I just read about a Michelin airless... I'm running to the bike now.... and.... LOL, we have a winner. Michelin. Maybe the 8psi was because the tire was hot, just drove about 30 southern summer hot miles.... hmmm. maybe I should take out the air I put in. All I know was I stopped around 23psi because I was scared witless to add more. I'd kept meaning to call the po and ask him... but, ran out round tuits. One question answered. And I guess you're saying that wasn't bad mileage on the rear tire... sigh... that's real sad.. cause it squeezed my pockets just to get that tire a year or so ago.

BTW tricky, seen your name around here a lot... pleasure to meet you.
#14 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM,
Tricky is Da-Man, he seems to answer my questions a week before I post them. And the answers are spot on.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#15 08-08-2011, 10:05 PM,