Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Washed ltd and now odd behavior.
Gently washed wing today and fired it up to dry as well as used leaf blower on it. Ran great for the 10 mins or so that it rsn to dry out. I shut it down to polish up the chrome and vinyl and now it's running odd.

It idles really low and will stall out after a few secs unless I rev it. And if I rev it too fast it will stall out. If I do rev it and get it up to about 2 k and hold it, the Roma will suddenly spike with no roll on the throttle. I also get the occassional back fire.

Any suggestions like " yeah you got water in the ________ or the ________.

And no lectures please. 8) I already know I goofed something up!
#1 05-08-2011, 04:35 PM,
Let it run for awhile so it will evaporate whatever water got into it. Being liquid cooled is one big advantage of owning a wing over an air cooled engine which will overheat if left running. If water got into the fuel somehow use some Seafoam which is also good for displacing water.
Water could have gotten into a electrical connection or a small puddle of water sitting on top of a sparkplug. I had that happen once,the sparkplug boots have a small drain hole for each plug and one got plugged with dirt, the water could'nt drain off and just sat there fouling the plug.
Check that those drain holes are clear using a wire.

BTW I avoid water on my wing as much as possible for just the reason you are experiencing,I use Lemon Pledge and spray down one area at a time and clean as I go until the bike is done.
Rain does'nt seem to bother anything but for some reason washing a bike down seems to have an adverse effect,I learned that many times over with my old dirt bikes when water got into the stator and it would'nt run until the stator dried out.

Robert
#2 05-08-2011, 05:39 PM,
I very seldom wash my bike, I use pledge or Honda spray cleaner wax. Like sparky65 said the water should evaporate afer a while or if it did get in the fuel use some sea foam.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 05-09-2011, 02:44 AM,
sounds like whatever water got into places it shouldn't have now become "steam" and have invaded some connectors,at worst i'd pull the tank and clean and inspect all those fairing connectors that are under the rubber covers on both sides of the fairing
any water cleaning i do doesn't go above the exhaust and the lower wheel areas
dont feel left out,i think we all learned the hard way that pledge is the ticket
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 05-09-2011, 05:32 AM,