Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Help! 85 will not turn over. All new parts.
Hello Guys,
I am having starting/electrical problems.
I first suspected the starter so I put one side of a set of jumper cables from the pos bat post to the starter post. I got nothing. I then pulled out the starter and took it to my local starter rebuild shop where I had it bench tested. It was indeed bad. They rebuilt it and I eagerly installed it.
Guess what....? Nothing happened. Not even a click. So my next logical place to go is the solenoid. I have already done the conversion from the old dog bone set up to the new auto 30 amp blade type set up so that is not the issue. I even re did all the connections to be sure they were up to snuff. I also cleaned the grounding points including the main ground to the black triangular frame mount by removing that long bolt and taking it to the wire wheel and a wire brush to the frame mounts.
I then bought a used 1200 solenoid on e bay. I happily installed it knowing all my wiring was up to snuff and I got nothing. No click. No start.
Frustrated I realized I did buy used and could have gotten screwed.
Then I started reading about all these guys who installed mid 90's Ford F-150 solenoids cause they're hard to kill and they're cheap. 10 to 15 dollars depending where you are. I even found a tech letter on another forum (Steve Saunders) on how to convert to the Ford solenoid. I tried it and still got nothing.
I forgot to mention it's a new battery too.
So in summary I have a rebuilt starter, tried two different solenoids, checked and replaced all connections in the area, checked all fuses, cleaned up all grounding points and have a new fully charged battery.
What the heck is left to do??! I must admit electrical is my weakness. I don't really know what to look for on a multimeter or how to use it. So I am pretty nervous about tracking this down. Mostly because my dad and I have a trip planned next week that I just can't miss. My Grandpa, my dad and me take this trip every year, but we lost grandpa recently and we decided to ride in his memory. And then my bike takes a crap on me.
Please if you have any ideas I'm kinda desperate. I don't want to let my dad down.
What am I not thinking about?
What would cause a Wing to not turn over after replacing all the major parts in this category?

Need help in Michigan
#1 08-26-2010, 01:27 AM,
After you installed the starter did you try the jumper cable from the battery to the starter again? If you didn't, try it, if it still will not turn you still have starter trouble. Poorboy
#2 08-26-2010, 01:34 AM,
Presuming the engine stop switch is in the correct position

And if your starter is OK and your solenoid is OK

The green/red wire that controls the solenoid should have continuity to ground

If that is OK

The Yellow/Red wire should show 12volts when the starter button is pushed.

Get back to us
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 08-26-2010, 07:56 AM,
Try removing and bench testing again , if it doesn't turn over bring it back to the guys who rebuilt it and have them go over it again until they get it right,sounds like a bad contact.
#4 08-26-2010, 08:04 AM,
OK. I just did the jumper cable from the positive battery post to starter post and it worked. The starter cranked.
The engine stop switch is in the correct position, I know it happensSmile
As far as continuity to ground with the green/red wire; I don't know how to check. I have a meter but do not know how to go about properly using it.
I know this is probably cake to you guys, but I have never done this stuff before. Do you think you could handle me with kid gloves and introduce me how to check the continuity on the green/red and for 12 volts on the yellow/red?
I don't know where to put the probes or what setting the meter should be on. Consider this my first day on the job....I don't know what the heck i'm doing electrically speaking.

Thanks for checking out my post.
#5 08-26-2010, 11:00 AM,
Here is a link to a good tutorial on using a multimeter.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/">http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/</a><!-- m -->

There are also a few videos posted on youtube. Basically, to check the continuity to ground you are checking to see if there is a path for current to flow between any ground point on the frame to the green/red wire. For checking voltage, again you are measuring from a ground point on the frame to the yellow/red wire. Be sure to press the starter button in when the meter is hooked up to check for the applied voltage from the battery.

The only difference between the two checks listed above will be how you setup your meter, which is explained in the tutorial.
#6 08-26-2010, 07:48 PM,
Thanks kwatts.
I'm on it now.
Much appreciated!
#7 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM,
Now that you have gotten this far, check your starter button switch and your neutral switch. The problem is that you are not getting juice to the starter given that your kill switch is not defective. good luck!
#8 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM,