Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Handle bar adjustment
My, new to me, 84 standard has the seat all the way forward but the handle bars still need to come back about two inches to make the position more comfortable. There must be some tricks or after market stuff to adjust the handle bars for those of us with short, old, stiff arms. With this deal came another handle bar that the guy said was from a Aspencade, they appear to be longer and wider, are there different handle bars? Thanks
#1 07-25-2010, 04:38 AM,
AFAIK Honda supplied one handlebar except for the 85 LTD and 86 SEI.
I imagine other handlebars will fit providing they are the same diameter and fit into the location, not to say the handling of the bike might be affected.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 07-25-2010, 05:30 AM,
this may seem stupid to soem but to a degree it could work out some pf your problem

last year i had a MAJOR malfunction and my bike got tumbled off my lift from 30" of the ground a week before the sig meeting

once i got the bike road ready i found out that the left handlebar was knocked in about two inches from original,perplexed about getting a new set of bars in time for the sig meeting i caled my neighbor over to get a 2nd opinion

what we came up with was this,one held the right bar while the other yanked and BENT the left bar

worked perfectly and been riding it for the last 8K that way,new bars are gathering dust in the corner somewhere

would it work the other way,dont know but if i needed to i'd figure a way

are you sure you cant get the seat to move further forward?
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM,
You can remove the ignition cover and tilt the handle bars down a bit, as long as you can get the cover back on. I did this on mine and it makes for a more comfortable position.
Bryce
85 Interstate Wineberry Red
86 Interstate Denuim Blue Metalic
#4 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM,
Interesting thought Neoracer, when I got the bike it came with a lot of extra parts including a handlebars with a 2.5 inch rise greater than the ones that are on the bike so I got a "4 foot leverage extender" and put the handlebar in the pipe vice and was able to narrow them by 2+ inches. While in the vice I marked centerline and verified I moved each side the same. Thanks for the input I would not have thought you could have bent the bars that easy and not messed up the chrome. Now all I need is a longer front brake line and I'll swap them out.
#5 08-09-2010, 03:56 AM,
Thanks Arkansassuperdrafter, apparently the 84 standard came with different handlebars than the other bikes, these bars have a shorter rise than the bikes with fairing. I've adjusted mine as you suggested but they are just to short, I think the other bars that came with the bike are from a Interstate and are about 2.5 inches taller and will work when I install them and pull them back a little.
#6 08-10-2010, 03:04 AM,
OK, I have a standard, but the bars are to tall and swung back to far. what is a good replacement for these bars? :?:
US Navy (Ret) Submariner

USS Bergall, USS Archerfish, USS GC Marshal (B),
USS US Grant (G), USS Skipjack, USS Swordfish,
USS Alabama (B)

Spent a day or two underwater.....
#7 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM,
winesap7 Wrote:My, new to me, 84 standard has the seat all the way forward but the handle bars still need to come back about two inches to make the position more comfortable. There must be some tricks or after market stuff to adjust the handle bars for those of us with short, old, stiff arms. With this deal came another handle bar that the guy said was from a Aspencade, they appear to be longer and wider, are there different handle bars? Thanks
Great question, Made me want to research why my standard feels soooo different than my Aspy. Apsy bars are at a lower hand position than my Standard. The Standard almost feel like mini Ape-Hangers. I like the difference though.
Took some Pics of both and found that the Aspy bars are straight at the clamp and the rise is butted/welded, where as the Standard bars have a smoothe curve.
Found out I need to clean under the cover :ymblushing:
I use a road troll on my Standard instead of a gremlin bell :mrgreen:

Attached Files
.jpg   handlebars 007.JPG (Size: 192.3 KB / Downloads: 397)
.jpg   handlebars 009.JPG (Size: 228.07 KB / Downloads: 393)
.jpg   handlebars 008.JPG (Size: 194.87 KB / Downloads: 391)
#8 11-08-2010, 06:09 PM,
So that is why my 84 standard does not feel the same as the interstate I rode 25 years ago. Confusedhock: I was just thinking that I was getting old and could not remember what it was like to ride a wing. :roll:

I have had a few differant bikes since then and the memory is not what it was so long ago.

What was I saying, hmmmm. :-@ latter......
US Navy (Ret) Submariner

USS Alabama (B)

#9 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM,
Well now that's interesting. Since day one, my handlebars have banged into the windshield. In the next few days, I'm replacing fork springs, so while I'm up there I think I'll try an adjustment.(sound of palm contacting forehead) It's only been a year, now to find out what a Wing is really supposed to be like.

Patrick
#10 11-10-2010, 01:46 AM,
I am wondering if I cut the bars in two at the area going up and down, insert a solid bar then reweld it back to the position I wanted it at. :?: Do you think I would have any problems. :-\ :?: that way I could get rid of the 13" pullback on the bars. :roll:

Hum, *-Smile maybe short them up to and narrow the bars from the 36" wide mark. #-O then I suppose I would have to figure out what to do with the extra wiring and cable and hose lenght. :-\ Humm?????

Well what do you think???? ^Smile^
US Navy (Ret) Submariner

USS Alabama (B)

#11 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM,
(12-08-2010, 05:20 PM)waltharper Wrote: I am wondering if I cut the bars in two at the area going up and down, insert a solid bar then reweld it back to the position I wanted it at. :?: Do you think I would have any problems. :-\ :?: that way I could get rid of the 13" pullback on the bars. :roll:

Hum, *-Smile maybe short them up to and narrow the bars from the 36" wide mark. #-O then I suppose I would have to figure out what to do with the extra wiring and cable and hose lenght. :-\ Humm?????

Well what do you think???? ^Smile^

Kawasaki Voyager has adjustable handlebars and they fit Aspys, standards, and interstates.
#12 05-21-2013, 05:52 AM,