Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
evans coolant
Do you guys think switching to evans could allow my bike to run a little cooler, i don't know the exact temp that it's running as i have the digital dash which only shows bars, but when i was riding with a fellow goldwinger in traffic and we stopped his bike seemed a little cooler than mine, or should i start with thermostats, water pump etc. . p.s. the coolant is brand new in the bike.
1987 aspencade
#1 05-30-2007, 08:38 AM,
What level of the bars are showing when your riding on the highway.

Mine shows 4 bars then rises to 5-6 then the fan comes on.

It would be better to rectify any cooling problems rather than use Evans coolant to mask them.

After your satisfied with the bikes performance then a change to Evans could be financially beneficial and allow your engine to rise to higher temperatures without creating a boiling of the water within your present coolant.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 05-30-2007, 09:58 AM,
I only run 2 or 3 bars, but when i'm in traffic it goes up to 4bars. but i was driving with another wing and he was running 6 bars and my engine was hotter to the touch , i guess it might not be a problem except these engines seem to give off alot of heat in the summer. I just don't want to hurt anything.
1987 aspencade
#3 05-30-2007, 12:28 PM,
I wonder if your thermostat is bad or wrong?

There's a few differences with my bike. Normally it runs at 4 bars, the fan comes on at 6 bars but I have seen the gauge go up to 8 bars before the fan goes off.

The difference in my bike and other Wings is that my cooling fan is 2 inches in diameter smaller than other stock wing. This was done to make room for the car alternator pulley. My bike has overheated on 2 occasions and both times it was inside a closed garage where the fan could not grab enough fresh cold air to cool the engine. When I saw this happen I felt that the Evans coolant would be a wise move because it would prevent a boil over if I ever got stuck in traffic on a 100 degree day. The upside to the smaller fan is that I don't get the big blast of hot air like I used to with the stock fan.

The Evans NPG+ is the second difference. I intentionally tried to boil over my engine and I couldn't, even stuck my face over the open rad when the gauge was in the red zone and the coolant wasn't even steaming so I figure just for that benefit alone the stuff is worth the price but there are other benefits as well. No water means no corrosion, easier on the water pump, it's a lifetime coolant, no changing every couple of years and if your engine has a detonation or a pinging problem this stuff can help alleviate that problem because it eliminates steam pockets that water coolants creates. I like the stuff, but, it's pricey unfortunately.

The other difference is the black painted engine. That can make a difference in the cooling because it will expel heat for the same reason they paint a radiator black. Had I painted the engine a gloss black it may have retained heat but the semi gloss black draws out the heat and helps the engine run cooler. I realize that it's minimal but every little bit helps.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 05-30-2007, 12:50 PM,
Vic;

What do you suggest as being pricey??

Howard
Howard & Sharon Sims-GWRRA#259911
EX 1986 Aspencade
EX 2002 GL-1800

[Image: VisitedProvincesMap-copy.jpg][Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#5 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM,
thanks for the info vic, is there a good way to find out what temp my engine is operating at.
1987 aspencade
#6 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM,
lboodge Wrote:I only run 2 or 3 bars, but when i'm in traffic it goes up to 4bars. but i was driving with another wing and he was running 6 bars and my engine was hotter to the touch , i guess it might not be a problem except these engines seem to give off alot of heat in the summer. I just don't want to hurt anything.

Possibly the sensor could be defective. If the engine is running hot and the gauge is showing a lower temp.

In the manual the first thing in the list for troubleshooting an engine temperature too high is the gauge or sending unit.

I am experiencing a similar condition, since I have had the bike (new in 85) it has always operated at four bars, fan coming on at 6 bars in adverse conditions.
Recently I have noticed my gauge showing 3 bars and the fan came on and the engine boiled over. I have done some modifications the same as Vic with the external alternator. I can't blame the alternator for my gauge showing constantly 3 bars.
I removed the sending unit and tested the sensor as per manual, the Ohm readings at the specified temperatures was 20 Ohms off at each level, This would possibly give a lower temperature reading at the gauge, not an ideal condition.
I am waiting for a new sending unit. I have changed the thermostat and rad cap and will report my findings after installing the new sending unit.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 05-30-2007, 06:59 PM,
silverfoxwing Wrote:Vic;

What do you suggest as being pricey??

Howard

$45./ gallon + tax + shipping = $71. for me. Might be cheaper for you if you live closer to Madoc, Ontario because the shipping was $18. to Leamington. At least I never have to spend it again because it is a lifetime product.

#8 05-30-2007, 07:58 PM,
lboodge Wrote:thanks for the info vic, is there a good way to find out what temp my engine is operating at.

Talk to your neighbor and see if he has a meter with a temperature probe then attach the probe with electrical tape to the coolant crossover pipe then monitor the temp and see how it coincides with gauge on the dash. If your neighbor doesn't have such a gauge you can always get one at Canadian Tire.

#9 05-30-2007, 08:05 PM,
Hi Guys,
The biggest plus point for me about the Evans coolant is the no pressure build up. As my vehicles are old the radiators and particularly the plastic ends of the car rads get brittle plus old hoses can burst due to pressure. I bet a no water Evans cooled system has never burst in normal use. I am going to get some, next problem how to get it in NZ they have an aviation rep here so I will try them.
Regards,
Checkpoint Charlie
#10 12-29-2007, 08:56 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evans waterless Coolant, Cheapest place to buy? MikeM 3 2,474 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Last Post: MikeM
  Whats involved to switch to Evans NPG coolant TNroadrider 7 3,963 02-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Last Post: TNroadrider