Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Charging circut
I have an 85 limited at are about 3000rpm my volt meter is showing 14.1 volts. I added extra lights ( two 5W driving lights ) wired them to an a fuse box that I had previous added.The box is powered through a relay. While riding I can turn my driving lights on still get about 13.9 volts but after about 15 to 20 minutes the voltage will drop to 12.3 volts can any one explain what is going on why a delayed drop? volts will return to 14.1 if I turn lights off.
#1 04-21-2010, 06:01 PM,
I have driving lights as well and they do draw a lot out of power. I only use them when I have to.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 04-21-2010, 06:46 PM,
I had issues with voltage drop when I installed fog lamps. I'd drop 1.5 volts when turned on. Not an issue after doing PoorBoy's alternator conversion, keep 14.1 volts now.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#3 04-21-2010, 08:57 PM,
It's possible that a diode in the regulator/rectifier might be starting to give up the ghost. Sometimes they'll work OK till they get too hot and cause on open condition in one of the diodes. When it cools back down it'll start working again..
1985 Limited Edition
#4 04-21-2010, 09:08 PM,
let me first state that i have a sei and have had the same problem when i first bought it
previous PO had botched the stator wires and after properly hardwiring around the connector i continued to have about the same problem

your problem can probably be traced back to the regulator connectors of which there are two because its an sei/ltd

hardwire the connector out of the circuit,if you need the additional wire length to make it easier do this

1) use 10 ga wire and using uninsulated butt connectors,add about 4 inches to all the stator connections,crimp,solder and use heatshrink on all connections
2) the two red wires on the connector,do the same with regulator side but combine both red wires together and crimp,solder and heatshrink
3)on the green wires(two each side of connector do the same but add a short peice of ten guage to the connection and crimp,solder and heatshrink,run that piece of short wire over and connect it to soemplace good of the bike frame
4) connect to single black wires and crimp,solder and heat shrink

before i did this mine was 14.1-14.3 and would drop to 13.9 with the driving lights on

now it runs 14.5v solid all the time above 1200 and doesn't drop with driving lites (2-55w) on all the time
and i run either fulltime driving lites or foglights

major improvement for the little it takes to do the mod
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 04-21-2010, 10:02 PM,
Thanks gentleman for all the information. I will take a look into this a little deeper, the wiring mod has been done about a year ago ( have to recheck my connections) Is there a way other than just replacing the regulator to check the regulator?
#6 04-22-2010, 09:10 PM,