Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
SYNTHETIC vs. PETROLEUM BASED MOTOR OILS...WHY I SWITCHED
Dumb question maybe but can you leave the amsoil in over winter and then just ride it in the spring or do you have to change it again in the spring like Dino?
#31 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM,
With the high degree of rust inhibitors in the AMSOIL the policy has been to change the oil in the fall before you put your bike away. That way it can protect the internal parts.

Then in the spring bring her out and RIDE!! Smile

#32 10-09-2009, 01:55 PM,
Thanks Don, I was wondering about that myself.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#33 10-09-2009, 02:41 PM,
Since I've only had the Amsoil 10W-40 in the 'Wing for less than 1,000 km., is it necessay to dump it out and put in fresh stuff prior to putting her away for the winter?
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#34 10-09-2009, 03:44 PM,
You'll be fine with that low amount of riding.
It's a high 11.1 TBN so lots of good stuff to fight off acids and rust.
TECHNICAL DATA INFO
#35 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM,
Thanks, Don.
Ian
#36 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM,
Yeh thanks Don, I'll be switching when I put it away or next spring.
#37 10-10-2009, 04:56 AM,
Even though I haven't managed to get many km on the new oil yet, I'm very impressed with the reduction in noise level and smoother running.
Ian
#38 10-12-2009, 05:44 PM,
I agree Ian, slow speed shifting is no longer noisy and clunky on my bike. I should have switched long ago but I needed proof positive before doing so, that 3 horsepower increase is what swayed me.

#39 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM,
Good stuff.... Seems like shifting at about 6k will use most of the horse power available if your looking for speed.

I have used synthetic for about 2 years with great success.
#40 10-12-2009, 07:38 PM,
ThorndaleAspy Wrote:Just wondering if there might be some concerns with oil leaks showing up with synthetic oils , that might not occur with convential oils. Thought I read/heard something about that somewhere. Anybody have any experience with that??? I'd love to have the obvious benefits that go along with the Synthetics but not if it will cause other problems.

I recall reading (somewhere that I can't find just now) that lubricated units that have high wear present in their seals can experience leaking when switched from conventional oils to synthetics. Synthetic oil has higher flowability properties due to it's "round" molecule structure which allows it to leak past seals more easily. If I find the discussion paper I will post it.

This does not seem to be an issue with GL1200's - likely due to the quality of the parts and the lower mileage most have vs design life of our bikes. I switched to Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle 10/40 (due to the info found in the white paper) - we are the 3rd owner of this bike and have no idea what oil previous owners used - and have had zero leak / consumption issues and enjoy the better shifting etc people have mentioned. We run approx 8000km (5000 miles) per change give or take 1000. I run the KLR650 single the same.

#41 10-13-2009, 04:59 AM,
I thought the 1200s had 86 HP. It appears you are down quite a bit. Also the torque dropped with the synthethic??? . JB
#42 10-13-2009, 08:40 AM,
wing&aprayer Wrote:I switched to Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle 10/40 (due to the info found in the white paper) and have had zero leak / consumption issues and enjoy the better shifting etc people have mentioned.

Me too!

Maybe I'm too much of a chemist, but first I changed to a crankcase full of Mobil-1, it's cheaper) and ran my bike for a couple of hundred miles to "wash" the engine. Then I switched to AMSOIL No leaks, nothing. Just improvements as already mentioned by othes All is well. :YMAPPLAUSE:
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#43 10-13-2009, 08:50 AM,
JBz Wrote:I thought the 1200s had 86 HP. It appears you are down quite a bit. Also the torque dropped with the synthethic??? . JB

The horsepower figures that I have displayed are actual rear wheel horsepower which is always less than crankshaft horsepower figures due to the parasitic loss due to tire friction, wheel bearing friction, brake friction, final drive friction and driveshaft friction. It all adds up to provide a lower figure than the advertised crankshaft horsepower figure. If you look at the total figures at the bottom of each sheet you will see that the torque increased also.

#44 10-13-2009, 09:10 AM,
admin Wrote:
JBz Wrote:I thought the 1200s had 86 HP. It appears you are down quite a bit. Also the torque dropped with the synthethic??? . JB

The horsepower figures that I have displayed are actual rear wheel horsepower which is always less than crankshaft horsepower figures due to the parasitic loss due to tire friction, wheel bearing friction, brake friction, final drive friction and driveshaft friction. It all adds up to provide a lower figure than the advertised crankshaft horsepower figure. If you look at the total figures at the bottom of each sheet you will see that the torque increased also.

Also, the engine wasn't ran up to the 7400 rpm redline.
1985 Limited Edition
#45 10-13-2009, 10:22 AM,