Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SEI throttle linkage settings
I have been trying to solve my idle problems with me 1986 SEI and in doing so have probably made them worse. What I have done is change the throttle linkage and not in a good way. As far as I can tell there are three screws one can adjust. The one on the left side that is used to set the initial voltage for the TPS. The one in the middle that is the idle setting and the one on the right for throttle plate sync. I have not touched the one on the left for the TPS voltage. However I am sure I have the other two out of their proper setting. The Manual calls for the idle to be set at 1000 RPM and then adjust the throttle plate sync. My bike will not idle at 1000 it is eratic and ranges from 800 to 1100. So I have tried to set the idle and throttle plate screws by ear. It has not worked well...(surprise,surprise)

What I need is a way to get these screws in the proper settings. Is there a way to do this when the bike will not idle smoothly? Perhaps a baseline setting that is close. Middle point?

Any and all help is appreciated......I want to Ride!
#1 07-08-2009, 07:54 AM,
I was in a simular situation with mine cuz, when I first got her running, I used the balance screw on the right side of the engine to set the idle. Boy did I screw up!!! :mrgreen: What I'd do is find a set of manometer's, (you only need 2 guages), and go ahead and balance the engine. It's alot simpler to balance a Fuelie than a carbed engine cuz all you have to do is a side to side balance as there is no front to rear adjustment.

You might not be able to get a perfect balance if you've got other problem's but this should give you a good start in the right direction!
1985 Limited Edition
#2 07-08-2009, 11:31 AM,
I tried to balance them but one side seems to draw much more than the other and I cant get them to balance. I have cleaned the plates multiple times so I am now at a loss as what to do.
#3 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM,
Have you checked for vacuum leaks as previiously suggested?
#4 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM,
Yes I have looked for Vacuum leaks. But I am not that familiar with how to do it. I have tried spraying some carb cleaner on the lines. Is that the best way? Also would the side that is not drawing as much vacuum be the suspect side?

Thanks
#5 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM,