Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Removing the wheels, is it a pain?
OK, I did the dead. Tires have been replaced. Brand new Elite III's

I rented an engine picker to lift the bike with. Wasn't free, but sure was convenient.
The front wheel is obviously easy. The rear wheel is much more easy than one might imagine. Once the bags are off, the operation is pretty much straight forward.

I even got the trailer hitch installed. Hell, that was more pain than the tires them selves, as not all the bolt holes matched up very well.

As a bonus, the mid speed front end wobble is GONE!
I have no doubt that I should replace the head bearings (next winter) but the new tires made a difference. Not only the wobble, but the way the old tires would grab onto pavement segment joints is also gone. See, the old tires were worn down so that they were pointy, while the new tires are very round. Big BIG difference!
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#16 07-08-2009, 06:27 PM,
I'm glad to hear that it went well for you. Sometimes the rear splines can be seized in place and getting the rear wheel off can be a nightmare.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#17 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM,
There was plenty of grease in there, so it slid right off.
I used the lift to raise the bike up off the tire, which made it quite easy.
Before putting it back together, I made sure to pack more grease in there.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. However, I'm poor and smart enough to read a manual.
So even though I don't really like being the mechanic, I did OK. :YMCOWBOY:
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#18 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM,
Did you use regular grease or the proper stuff, Honda moly 60 paste? Regular grease is not a good idea.

#19 07-08-2009, 08:32 PM,
The moly grease, of course!

With any luck I'll get the "over kill" loud horn installed tomorrow.
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#20 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM,
In the future you don't need to rent a lift to get the bike up enough to remove the rear tire... A 3/4 inch piece of plywood under the center stand is enough... Remove the shock lower bolts and swing em back out of the way, then you can use a shovel under the rear tire to lift the wheel high enough to remove the axle...
Ed Zogg
#21 07-09-2009, 03:54 AM,
Ed, I think he wanted to avoid removing the rear fender, trailer hitch and light bar from the bike, that's why he lifted it.

#22 07-09-2009, 08:47 AM,
I'd have to have something to lift the front anyway.
Having the lift for the back, with it's hydraulic jack simply made the project so much more easy.
I didn't have to remove the seat, the trunk, the rear fender, or the mufflers. I don't have a light bar and the new hitch was installed while the wheel was off. Frankly, my experience tells me that this is a MUCH easier option, because all that other stuff would have to come off along with all other support bars. In other words, everything on the back of the bike would have to come off if you didn't use a lift of some sort. The lift saved possibly hours, and wrench wear on my knuckles. Also, using the hydraulic jack made aligning the rear wheel back up to push it back on a snap. Lower the bike down on a block that will hold up the swing arm far enough so you can slide the axle through past the exhaust, with the bike in gear, rotate the wheel until you feel it engage the spline gears, push it all the way on, set the axle in place, lower the bike off the block and tighten everything. Proceed with reinstall of all the stuff you took off.
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#23 07-09-2009, 09:10 AM,
Which brings me back to my original post when I commented about being careful if you decided to remove final drive with tire. We all have different setups of equipment or lack thereof and what works best for one doesn't necessarily work best for all. We all have to get in there and LEARN what method works best for us and then run with it. When reading Skymajic's first post he asked the question how hard is it, I responded under the assumption he had never done it before. I have a repair manual and have read it and also understand repair manuals are guide lines on methods. If you look at a GL1100 manual it advises you to remove final drive with tire. I realize this is a 1200 and not built the same as a 1100 but but appear very similar in set up and when I followed the manual changing my first 1100 tire they didn't tell me oil would pour out the top I had to learn that on my on. I was simply trying to pass on a experience to someone that I felt was as green as me and hopefully keep them from making the same mistake if they did it that way. After all isn't that what this board is for to help each other. And I certainly hope if I was stupid enough to cut the bolts off with a torch some one would be kind enough to put me out of my misery. I say this to remind some of you more experienced mechanics some of us are not at where you are at and although we greatly appreciate your wisdom and help you give us ask you to remember what it was like when you started out as we are. We all have to start somewhere and with your help will get there someday, but in the mean time we will do unnecessary things as we learn.
#24 07-09-2009, 06:51 PM,
With a name like Grease Monkey I thought for sure that you are a seasoned mechanic. The main thing we strive to do on this site is share good information and sometimes I even get it wrong and need to be corrected because one person cannot know everything. As you say we are all different and how we do things are different also but don't ever think that we are putting you down as a person( that is not tolerated here) because we see something silly but we may poke good natured fun at something you or anybody else is doing incorrectly because a good laugh never hurt anyone. And the bonus is that you might learn something of value from the exchange.

#25 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM,
I appreciate your comments Sir Monkey, but understand that I am no mechanic. The only reason i do these things myself is because I'm poor. Which, in the long run is likely better off as many "mechanics" out there aren't really that much better than us who are not mechanics. Know what I mean?

I had never done this before, and since I know it wasn't like taking the tire off a car, I was a tad bit worried. I posted the thread for comments and so people who been there maybe might point out things to watch out for.

After 54+ years of being my own mechanic, I now manage to finish a project without having parts left over. Yes, the manuals are guidelines, but sometimes they are invaluable for specific procedure that sometimes is not optional. That's why I own 3 of them by different makers for my wing. (The Honda shop manual, Clymer and Haynes)

If I really were a mechanic, and actually liked doing the mechanic things, I'd likely buy myself a hydraulic motorcycle lift. But since I'm not, and those things are fairly spendy, I probly keep on doing it the jury rigging way.
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#26 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM,
I don't wrench professionally (parts is my trade) but I have tinkered with heavy trucks and automotive for about 30 years but this is my first experience with bikes. Don't take me wrong not complaining I have just read some comments a couple of times (not just to me but to others) that just struck me as if you don't do it this way your a idiot. Just wanted to throw a friendly reminder to be patient with some of us. I LOVE this site and again GREATLY APPRECIATE every ones help and comments. Don't worry I work around mechanics daily so I am very thick skinned and can take as good as I can give.
GreaseMonkey just sounded better than ShadeTree :d
Thanks again
#27 07-09-2009, 07:48 PM,
I think that sometimes some folks just don't know the right words to use so it comes off as being a slight but if you ever see someone here actually putting a person down I would appreciate knowing about it. :YMPEACE:

#28 07-09-2009, 08:09 PM,
GreaseMonkey Wrote:One thing I have learned over the years is there is 100 ways to skin a cat and everybody is going to skin it different.

There are only three ways to do something. The right way, the wrong way, and MY WAY!
Not words to live by.
If there's one thing I've learned in thirty years of wrenching, it's "LISTEN TO THE OLD GUY", 'cause he probably knows what he's talking about.
Skymajic asked the question. He has three manuals that all say the same thing, but he asked anyway. The first three posts basically said, "follow the manual". By three different people that had just performed the operation. When Vic said "hoist", the idea appealed to him.
So he rented a cherry picker and got the job done. The right way? No. The wrong way? No. His way. For no other reason than he liked the idea.
When fourteen people tell you it's raining, break out the umbrella. Skymajic didn't save any time or effort by using an engine hoist. The operation is relatively simple (once you've done it) and if you do it by the book, you can save on the equipment rental. Which is why he did it himself to begin with. To save money.
The one thing you have to remember when you ask for advise, is that you'll probably get it. But if you still choose to do it your way, you have to be prepared for "geez, that's not the way I would have done it".
#29 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM,
Speaking for myself, I'm glad you guys and the other members of this forum are here.
You all helped give me the confidence I needed to tackle this job.
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#30 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM,