Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What did I forget ?!
Got the rear wheel back on and the tire rubs just barely on the right side trailing arm and about 3/4 of a inch clearence on the left.. The bike was apart for a while and I probably got it back on wrong. I looked in the diagram from Honda direct and it only shows one spacer/collar (#2) on the left(brake) side and none on the right. Mine had two spacers and it seemed to go together with both spacers on the left. Maybe one spacer belongs on the right somewhere????
  • [Image: t54mts.gif][/list:u]
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#1 11-17-2008, 07:21 AM,
[Image: collar.jpg]
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 11-17-2008, 11:19 AM,
Thanks Tricky. That is the way I have it. Any ideas why the wheel is sitting to the right?
  • edit:[/list:u]Looks like there is a spacer in the differential(#20). I remember seeing that but it was brown/rust color and not shiny like it had been worn against the bearing. I guess it could have been worn down and all the shavings disappeared but not likely with that much wear. Still looks like the only other thing that it could be. I'll take the wheel back off and see what I can find.
    • [Image: 2qteooi.gif][/list:u]
In Stable
#3 11-17-2008, 01:13 PM,
I am not sure you did anything wrong. My rear tire seems to rub the right side also. The Honda dealer that I deal with said the tire is just a tad wide for whatever reason. I had it checked because I was getting ready to take a long trip and was told it would not be a problem which it hasn't been up to this point probably 6000 miles later. Good Luck Brian
1986 Aspencade
#4 11-17-2008, 03:25 PM,
B.Bolding Wrote:I am not sure you did anything wrong. My rear tire seems to rub the right side also. The Honda dealer that I deal with said the tire is just a tad wide for whatever reason. I had it checked because I was getting ready to take a long trip and was told it would not be a problem which it hasn't been up to this point probably 6000 miles later. Good Luck Brian
I think you are right Brian. I also should have checked a couple of threads down from here...<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3449">viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3449</a><!-- l --> . Seems to be "Normal". I pulled the rear wheel off and everything looks to be the way it should. Now that I think about it, last nite was the first time to ride two up on this bike. Maybe the Metzler was made just a tad too wide. I'll put the wheel back on and give her a test ride 1 up and check tire temps from side to side and see how she does. Maybe a good excuse to tell the wife to ride her own bike. :lol:
In Stable
#5 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM,
Baffled but happy. Big Grin I put the wheel back on and now have about 1/8th inch clearence. Rode it about 40 miles stopping every 10 and checking and all seems good. I rode down a road with lots of "Whoop-Dee-Do's and could hear the tire scrape on the bottoms but just slightly.I may try a little more air in the tire, shocks or both. Either way it looks like I will be going on my planned ride through the Texas hill country next week. Big Grin Big Grin I'll ride it about 600 miles this week to make sure everything is up to par. Thanks Guys for the help!
In Stable
#6 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM,
Mike~
If you would have had the spacers in the wrong order, or reversed, the rear brake caliper wouldn't have lined up and you never would have gotten the wheel assy back on. I don't remember if I posted or not, but I always locate the axle to the far left, tighten the pinch bolt, then torque the large axle nut. Almost took off all the raised white letters on my elite-II's the first time it happened to me.
#7 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM,