Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Starter Help
I went to start the GL1200. I pushed the button, the starter started to turn, then there was a load klunk, metal to metal. Now when I push the button, the lights dim slightly and nothing happens. Any suggestions or should I load it up and take it to the dealer ?
Wolfman
#1 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM,
No. try another battery first.

Disconnect the bike battery and jump from your car battery.

if that doesnt help

keep the bike battery disconnected and connect the neg jumper cable to the frame and the pos jumper directly to the starter.

If it turns over OK come back here

If it doesnt turn over it could be the starter.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM,
I would put the bike in gear(3rd or 4th) & rock the bike backwards then forwards to see if the engine will turn. If it was a solid klunk you may have something between the piston & head. :x

Poorboy
#3 10-20-2008, 01:53 PM,
I miss "The Good Old Days" When bikes had electric start and KICK START
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#4 10-24-2008, 05:22 AM,
MikeM Wrote:I miss "The Good Old Days" When bikes had electric start and KICK START

me too :mrgreen:
#5 10-29-2008, 07:45 PM,
I had this exact thing happen to mine . Check out your starter solenoid connections and clean and use dielectric grease on them. Check your dogbone fuse and if you can wire in a regular auto type fuse. And when all else fails like on mine ,I gave the solenoid a love tap with a plastic mallet and that did the trick. Its been working ever since. I bought a spare solenoid for just in case.
#6 10-30-2008, 07:40 AM,
Well, I finally got the bike up and running. It turned out to be the starter solenoid. I was looking at it and found other problems. so I took it in to Custom Trike by KoKo, in South Beloit, IL, 1-815-389-8986. John, the mechanic was great. Here is the list of the problems found. Starter solenoid, front forks leaking, Bearing race in rear rim was shot. Both tires worn. All fixed now and works great. I am planning a trip to Oklahoma City later this summer.
Wolfman
#7 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM,