Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
85 interstate engine quits
Thanks for the responce all. I have also replaced the fuel filter. (still no fix) The bike does not seem to starve for fuel. (no chugging/sputtering) it simply dies. All dash lights are still on when this happens. This usually happens after I ride for 40/50 Km, stop for 10/15 mins then continue on my way. After the stop I can ride for approx 10/15 km , then the problem shows up. Bike does not appear to have any problem starting due to forward motion. I think I will take Modulators advice and start with pulse gen as I have to start somewhere. Thanks again.
#16 08-28-2008, 04:36 PM,
Another possibility before you go tearing into the pulse generators, one that I've just dealt with: The ignition key switch. Jiggle the key and see if the engine dies. If so, you will need the lower portion of the switch. My switch was worn just enough that the weight of a couple of keys on a keyring would cause the ignition to drop out of the "run" position and the engine would shut off. It would sometimes restart as you have described, and sometimes required jiggling the key.

Just my .02...

Glen
Retired LEO
MSF RiderCoach
06 GL1800
86 GL1200
Previously owned -
06 HD Ultra Classic
03 Kawasaki Nomad
03 Kawasaki KLR 650
99 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
94 GL1500 Aspencade
91 GL1500 Interstate
86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
and the list goes on...
#17 09-03-2008, 09:52 PM,
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check into that first.
#18 09-04-2008, 08:19 PM,
I think u were right Tricky, had the pulse gens changed out,made 60 mile trip home from dealer including one short break to allow cool down. Bike ran beatifully. Only a longer trip is needed to be absolutly sure. Thanks so much for the help.
#19 10-05-2008, 04:31 PM,
Glad you got it sorted out.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#20 10-05-2008, 05:34 PM,
I gotta go with Tricky here, I had the same problem with my '86 aspy when I changed the pulse gens I haven't had a problem since. It's money in the bank to do the belts at the same time as you are gonna be right there anyhow.
#21 10-05-2008, 06:26 PM,
Seems to me I recall someone in a previos post mentioning the belts as well. Too late now tho, Iam just fixing any major problems as Iam listing the bike. Now I see I have to have the front fork seal rebuilt/replaced as there is oil coming from it. Sad part is I just had it done by a Honda dealer 2 years ago. Dosen't seem right to me but what can u do.
#22 10-05-2008, 07:26 PM,
udaman Wrote:Seems to me I recall someone in a previos post mentioning the belts as well. Too late now tho, Iam just fixing any major problems as Iam listing the bike. Now I see I have to have the front fork seal rebuilt/replaced as there is oil coming from it. Sad part is I just had it done by a Honda dealer 2 years ago. Dosen't seem right to me but what can u do.

Possibly the bushings could be worn and placing greater stress on the seals especially in cold weather.... just a thought
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#23 10-06-2008, 05:29 AM,