Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Starter Burn
I Think my starter is burn.

This weekend i drove to a bike fest around 250 km from here. when i got there i noticed the starter was having some problems to turn the engine, but i thought it was just dirt on the switch cuz i released the button and pushed it harder and it would turn fine.

yesterday when i got home. i stopped the engine. and just wanted to start her again and the starter just dragged
i thought it would be the battery but its fine, i thought was heat, so i waited until today.

Today morning, 10 mins ago i went to try to start the bike.
the starter dragged a lot, it turned the engine a bit and dragged again, it even smoked a little bit so i quited trying.

I wonder why this happened?

Can you confirm the steps to remove the starter? i think ill send it to a car starter repair shop. maybe they can fix it o.o

another question:

Why when i start the bike on gear with the clutch fully pulled, the bike tries to move foward, it could be the starter clutch?, my oil is new, well it has less than 1400 miles yet. i bet this damaged my starter. =(
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#1 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM,
William,
You can get the same complaint from worn/loose/corroded starter/battery cables also from corroded battery terminals.
I would check those first, especially if riden alot in rain!
Harry Waggoner
GL1200A "Animal"

GWRRA VA-B
More ROCKIN and less Talkin!
#2 03-10-2008, 04:35 PM,
i will test with a direct wire from the battery tonight
#3 03-10-2008, 06:02 PM,
I get the same symptoms from time to time. Particularly with a very hot engine or when I try and start in 1st gear with the clutch in (as mine pulls like yours) or a low battery.
#4 03-10-2008, 07:20 PM,
William_86 Wrote:i will test with a direct wire from the battery tonight
Better make sure its a darn big wire, needs to be the same as installed.....
Harry Waggoner
GL1200A "Animal"

GWRRA VA-B
More ROCKIN and less Talkin!
#5 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM,
last night i tried to start her up and the solenoid only clicked, no more dragging. i checked all the wiring and looks fine, cleaned the battery terminals and charged the battery 100% and it wont start anyway. =( i had no time to do the direct wire thing, i will try tonight,
#6 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM,