Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust System
1984 Aspy.

Has anyone removed the two rivets at the back of the exhaust system before the extensions and removed the exhaust "guts"? and if so, how. I removed the rivets and was unable to move the internals of the exhaust system so I re-riveted it and left alone. I did drill a couple of holes in the back plate to possibly help the sound (old Harley man) a little but not that much difference. I don't really want it too loud but a little bit would help.

Tks
Dave (Pappy) Young
#1 01-27-2007, 04:08 PM,
Yes but I wish I hadnt (radio man)

Remember they have been in there for a long time.

remove rivets, clamp hold with a pair of vice grips and pound the living shi%t out of it, skinning your knuckles in the bargain.

I removed mine to have a pair of downturns installed which eventually caused the flared section to rust and eventually rot away. I repaired the section using automotive exhaust parts and painted them silver, they're hidden behind a light bar and cant see them unless one falls over or assumes the Harley fix it stance Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 01-27-2007, 05:02 PM,
Mine has the "dual" turn downs on each side. I got them out of the way as you probably know and understand about knuckles etc and now I guess my next question is -- How loud if the center section of the muffler is removed. Probably too loud, huh.

Dave (Pappy) Young
#3 01-27-2007, 07:29 PM,
Not overly loud, but try to keep them in reasonable shape, I would spray a lot of wd40 or some other loosening agent in there and let them soak for a while, that might help. If they come out easy and you don't like the sound you can always replace them.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 01-27-2007, 07:55 PM,
tricky Wrote:Not overly loud, but try to keep them in reasonable shape, I would spray a lot of wd40 or some other loosening agent in there and let them soak for a while, that might help. If they come out easy and you don't like the nd you can always replace them.
#5 07-06-2007, 11:05 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quietting Aftermarkets exhaust system ronsena 4 2,826 07-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Last Post: ronsena