Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How NOT to update the Dogbone!
todays date: January 12, 2016
I found this on Ebay:
DON'T 'FIX' YOUR DOGBONE LIKE THIS WAS!!!!
DON'T USE WIRE! USE THE PROPER RATED FUSE!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Honda-Goldw...4z&vxp=mtr
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#1 01-12-2016, 10:42 AM,
whoever buys this and thinks it will fix their problem is in for a huge mistake,the only way to fix or at least improve the 1200 electrical system is to completely hardwire the stator,rectifier and remove the starter relay connector and change to an ato fuseholder instead of the dogbone
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM,
... and what does it cost to replace that old dog bone with an automotive style blade fuse and fuse holder of the proper rating???
...... under $10 and 20 minutes?

Nah, let's just put some heavy gauge wire where the fuse goes and jeopardize the entire electrical system of our pride and joy.

Can you imagine the absolute worst place on the road where the electrical would just completely detonate?

The saddest part about the guy who fixed this is, he thinks he permanently fixed a problem Mother Honda couldn't fix.

so, buyer beware whenever you buy a used vehicle.... especially if there are only two wheels.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 01-14-2016, 09:17 PM,
Mine is still stock. I guess I better get on that before I'm stuck in parts unknown some day.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#4 01-15-2016, 03:59 AM,
This is the honest truth........
When I first got my Interstate I hit the internet and found this site and became a member.
I read, read, and reread all this site had with regards to how to improve the only weak link in the GL1200 design, the charging system.
Changing out the dog bone was THE first modification I made to my bike.
Just because I am this way, I wanted to keep the old dog bone part.
No kidding, as soon as I put a screw driver to the screw and gave it a turn, the bone literally turned to dust!
Changed that dog bone for an automotive style fuse, use the proper wire gauge and fuse holder, and your bike will Love you for it.
#5 01-17-2016, 09:59 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dogbone Replacement issue neoracer 9 3,142 03-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Last Post: neoracer