Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Rear axle
Anyone hear of the rear axle freezing up? it's stuck can't get it out.

Thank You
#1 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM,
i think what is happening is the driven flange isn't separating from the drive assembly and hence the wheel will not come out,what has to be done is try to get a flat screwdriver into the flange area and pry the flange back onto the wheel,oh and while you are at it,take the valve core out and release the air from the tire

maybe i.m wrong in what you are saying,if its actually the axle shaft,once you removed the axle nut,did you loosen the pinch bolt on the left side
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 03-25-2014, 11:21 PM,
(03-25-2014, 07:56 PM)ironhead1970 Wrote: Anyone hear of the rear axle freezing up? it's stuck can't get it out.

Thank You

Did you loosen the pinch bolt on the left side of the swing arm?
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 03-26-2014, 05:19 PM,
Yes loosened it first then I tighten the pinch bolt. The axle nut is frozen looks like it was cross-threaded the last inch or so of the threads on the axle are mangled so bad the nut will not come off don't know what they did or when the tire was last changed it looks like it's been on since 1985 LOL. Ordered a new axle and nut to replace it.

Thanks
#4 03-26-2014, 06:14 PM,
If the nut is off and the pinch bolt is fully loose (bolt removed) just use a punch and a hammer to drive the axle out. If it does not budge after a few strikes place a small heater (may or may not help) so it blows on the aluminum section of the wheel, let it heat up for an hour or so then try driving the axle out again. The axle may have rust on it causing to stick and in that case you'll need to spray some penetrating oil around the axle on both sides to hopefully free it up.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 03-26-2014, 06:51 PM,
(03-26-2014, 06:14 PM)ironhead1970 Wrote: Yes loosened it first then I tighten the pinch bolt. The axle nut is frozen looks like it was cross-threaded the last inch or so of the threads on the axle are mangled so bad the nut will not come off don't know what they did or when the tire was last changed it looks like it's been on since 1985 LOL. Ordered a new axle and nut to replace it.

Thanks

I just want to understand the situation…..
The pinch bolt is loose
Trying to remove the axle nut, the nut stops rotating because it ‘looks like it was cross-threaded the last inch or so of the threads on the axle are mangled so bad the nut will not come off’.
So the nut can be loosened until it reaches the last inch or so of the axle before it gets removed?
If this is the case, rotate the nut away from the damaged threads and using the corner of a file, reform the damaged threads. Yes, this will take some time and patience, but it can be done. Ask me how I know!
Another suggestion is to cut the axle at the good threads and before the damaged thread area. With the nut rotated as far from the damaged threads as possible, cut the axle after the good threads and before the bad threads and the nut will be easier to get off.
Another suggestion is to tighten the pinch bolt, place an opened-end wrench on the left side of the axle and using a socket and a breaker bar, force the nut off. This may require a second person.
If you don’t have a breaker bar, using a non-ratcheting box wrench (this size nut usually dictates a long handled box wrench) with the ‘box’ of another open-end, box wrench placed in the open-end of the first wrench, may give you the leverage equaled to a breaker bar.

The tool of choice for removing the nut should be a non-ratcheting box wrench, not the opened end or an adjustable as either of these will slip and round the axle nut.

If you agree this may cause you to become frustrated, angry, or pissed-off, when you DO get frustrated, angry, or pissed-off, you won’t be disappointed.

Bottom line is this…… it can be done and you can do it.

Keep us updated.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  86 1200I: Stuck rear axle nut DC44 8 6,054 01-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Last Post: bs175dths