Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New Wing in the garage
Well, my daughter did buy a maroon 86 Interstate, so we picked it up Saturday and put it in the garage. It had sat outside this winter so we figured a lot of TLC would be needed before it decided to notice us. I put it on the charger for 4 hours and it started and ran smoothly even with the nasty gasolijne in the tank from last year. I drained the tank completely and put non-alcoholic gas in it. It's more expensive than the 90-10% gasoline/ethanol blend ($3.79 vs 3.27) they call gasoline here, but it shouldn't degrade as quickly.

The brake pads look new, the rotors are within specs, the stator puts out 14VDC, and several lights will require decoding before they can be made to work.

Anyone know offhand why the lights beside the headlight won't work? We rteplaced the bulbs, but no luck.

Yes, the 78 and the 85 Wings are still hiding from the cold in the garage.
Cheers;

Tom
#1 02-16-2014, 05:31 PM,
I believe that there is a relay for the position lights. Where it is located I can't tell you, however...sorry.
#2 02-16-2014, 05:58 PM,
The little lights on either side of the headlight are not the position lights.
The position lights are one of two light elements in the front directional.
The position lights are on all the time until the directional is activated, then a relay turns off the positioning element and turns on the directional element of the two element light bulb.

The little lights directly located on either side of the headlight are on all the time.
I don’t see them in any of the schematics I have.

When I got my bike, I couldn’t find any information on these little bulbs (schematic or watts) and my bulbs were missing.
I just place a low wattage 12V bulb in there so they would be working. (OCD that way)
It was so long ago, I can’t remember what size I installed.
They ‘glow’ more than they ‘light up’.

This may sound silly, but check to make sure the bulbs are working then probe the socket to see if there is power.

Work your way from there.

CONDRATULATIONS, DAUGHTER of the PurpleGL1200 and welcome to the family!!!! Big Grin

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM,
the lights you are referring to are called parking lights

pm me an email address
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM,
Hmmm...the wiring diagram from the Honda manual for my 1985 Limited Edition shows those lights as position lights. It also shows the turn signal & position lights. I have also read on the other forums that they are called position lights. On my Magna the lights that are on all the time except when indicating a turn are called running lights, but here they are called position lights too. I don't understand why lights that are on all the time the bike is on would be called parking lights.
#5 02-22-2014, 11:04 AM,
(02-22-2014, 11:04 AM)cwalsh Wrote: Hmmm...the wiring diagram from the Honda manual for my 1985 Limited Edition shows those lights as position lights. It also shows the turn signal & position lights. I have also read on the other forums that they are called position lights. On my Magna the lights that are on all the time except when indicating a turn are called running lights, but here they are called position lights too. I don't understand why lights that are on all the time the bike is on would be called parking lights.

We had a busy two days in the garage this weekend. My son-in-law and his friend did an engine swap on a 2003 Pontiac and finished that about 3 PM today. The car seemed to run good.

Back to the Bike. We removed 9 lights from the rear of the bike, re-wired the remaining 13 rear lights so they worked correctly (2 side marker lights on each bag, turn signal and stop light on each bag, license plate light, trunk stop/brake/tail lights) and then the "position lights" beside the headlight started working. So far, so good.

Daughter removed a fiberglass nest stocked with soybeans a rodent had positioned between the heat shield and the carburetors.

One saddlebag had numerous cracks in the bottom; we're waiting for the fiberglass patch to set up. The trunk also had a crack in the side that the PO had covered with a Jesus sticker. The sticker on the outside and a strip of duct tape on the inside didn't fix the crack, so we removed the sticker and put a fiberglass patch to the inside. You can still see the crack, but the bike will get a complete paint job next winter.

If I didn't agree to work on it, she wouldn't have bought it!!

Tom
#6 02-23-2014, 06:59 PM,
Congrats it sounds like a great father/daughter project.
I did a lot of projects with my father when he was alive years back.
Life's uncertain, eat dessert first. :D
#7 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Garage Heater Keener 11 3,369 10-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Last Post: SidecarMike