Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Progress with my Fuel Starvation problem
Background: For years this bike has had a once in a while problem, that acts like fuel starvation. In the past recent years it has happened more often, sometimes 3-4 times a summer, sometimes more.. then recently it has progressed to more often.. right down to about every 10 mi..

In the past 2 yrs.. I have, checked the tank for debris, tank has been flushed, etc, and never had rust, or any great amount of sediment.. it is nice and shiny inside.. verified with a scope camera.

I have replaced with good known working, fuel relay, all fuel lines, filters, pulse generators, fuel pump, also the carbs were removed and rebuilt, and sync'd. All these different factors were done one at a time, and then taken for extended rides to try to see if the problem was corrected. Seemingly not so.

So I eliminated the tank, by putting an extension on the fuel line off the petcock, into the filer hole on the tank.. I went for over a 100 km ride and it worked fine.

Lastly, I took the petcock off the side of tank, replaced the O-rings, bought from an industrial supply shop. I didn't feel that they sat high enough above the face of the petcock so I lightly sanded it to give the O-rings more contact with the tank. Assembled everything and went for over 100 km ride, about 2 weeks ago.. worked perfectly.

Do I have it fixed.. no idea.. only time will tell.
A mild day, or spring, will give it another test ride..
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
South of Sarnia, SW Ontario, Can
#1 12-26-2013, 04:04 PM,
I'm guessing that you checked the vent in the gas cap? If the tank cannot draw in air then it will stop fuel flow. Next time the problem occurs, hopefully never now, just loosen the gas cap and listen for a big whoosh of vacuum.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 12-26-2013, 06:53 PM,
(12-26-2013, 06:53 PM)admin Wrote: I'm guessing that you checked the vent in the gas cap? If the tank cannot draw in air then it will stop fuel flow. Next time the problem occurs, hopefully never now, just loosen the gas cap and listen for a big whoosh of vacuum.

Yes that was one of the fairest things check zed out. It's fiNe
Edit: fairest = first check zed = checked
Not sure where the ipad got those but it did..
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
#3 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM,
gotta get past your birthday before its fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TongueTongueTongue
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 12-26-2013, 08:42 PM,
(12-26-2013, 08:42 PM)neoracer Wrote: gotta get past your birthday before its fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TongueTongueTongue

your Right Earl.. it always happens on my birthday,
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
#5 12-27-2013, 04:59 AM,
(12-27-2013, 04:59 AM)LorneG Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 08:42 PM)neoracer Wrote: gotta get past your birthday before its fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TongueTongueTongue

your a Christmas Birthday as well?
#6 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM,
(12-27-2013, 11:43 AM)1060dsl Wrote:

TongueTongueTongue

No Mike.. Lorne's b'day is Aug. 1st.. and it always happens on his b'day.. are you a christmas b'day?
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
#7 12-28-2013, 02:52 AM,
I am aware you mentioned the carburetors being cleaned and synch-ed. In the cleaning process, were the little filter screens (which are attached to each float needle valve) cleaned?
I have read that the factory fuel filter can pass particles small enough to clog either these little filters and/or the primary jets.

Just a suggestion.....
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 12-30-2013, 01:09 PM,
(12-28-2013, 02:52 AM)LorneG Wrote:
(12-27-2013, 11:43 AM)1060dsl Wrote:

TongueTongueTongue

No Mike.. Lorne's b'day is Aug. 1st.. and it always happens on his b'day.. are you a christmas b'day?

Ya LOL but...........
#9 12-30-2013, 05:56 PM,
Background: For years this bike has had a once in a while problem, that acts like fuel starvation. Previous owner said that it did it once or twice a year, quitting and then fire back up. In the past years, since I got it, it has gradually gotten worse, sometimes 3-4 times a summer, sometimes more.. then more often, last summer it got right down to about every 20 mi..

In the past 2 yrs.. I have, checked the tank for debris, tank has been flushed, etc, and never had rust, or any great amount of sediment.. it is nice and shiny inside.. verified with a scope camera.

I have replaced with good known working, fuel relay, all fuel lines, filters, pulse generators, fuel pump, also the carbs were removed and rebuilt, and sync'd. All these different factors were done one at a time, and then it taken for extended rides to try to see if the problem was corrected. Seemingly not so.

So I eliminated the tank, by putting an extension on the fuel line, dropping it into the filer hole on the tank.. I went for over a 100 km ride and it worked fine.

Lastly, I took the petcock off the side of tank, replaced the O-rings, that looked perfect, no marks, no cracks. New ones got from an industrial supply machine shop. I didn't feel that they sat high enough above the face of the petcock so I lightly sanded it to give the O-rings more contact with the tank. Assembled everything and went for over 100 km ride, about 2 weeks ago.. worked perfectly. PS.. snow cold, and dressed in snowmobile suit.

Do I have it fixed.. no idea.. only time will tell.
A mild day, or spring, will give it another test ride..

----------------------------------------------------------

Update:

The above was posted on Dec. 2013, since that day there has been not once a hint of the fuel starvation problem.
As of this date I have just under 5000 Km since last Dec. SO I am confidently declaring this long time problem solved and fixed.
Now the lesson learned from this experience is the old saying K.I.S.S.. ( Keep it simple stupid)
Considering the amount of dollars spent to replace some parts with known good or new and the problem was 2 O-rings. Look for the simplest and least expensive part first. But on a side note, we do have a few spare parts that I know are good.

Also... since I have always ridden on my B'day, Aug. 1st, and the bike has never failed to quit on that day... I have just enjoyed the first birthday ride with out it happening.

BTW Earl (neoracer) and all others who have witnessed this problem first hand, I am officially calling it FIXED
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
#10 08-04-2014, 05:38 AM,
congratulations

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#11 08-07-2014, 10:12 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  84 Aspy fuel starvation? royando 6 1,918 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Last Post: bs175dths