Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Hi from the Atlanta area
THX for allowing me to register and read/post at this forum! I found this forum reading N Am GW forum, thought I would read around.

I have riden on and off the better part of my 60+ years, currently do not have a ride. A friend has a real Cherry of a GW1200 he is willing to sell, I thought I would read up on it before purchasing... Then after the purchase I will have a source for information.

THX again for having me at this forum, and please be patient as I bring myself up to speed (pun intended) on bikes, riding, and GW's.

GA
#1 11-01-2013, 03:05 PM,
Welcome aboard, this is where many dedicated gl1200 owners hang out. Seniors are well represented here with a lifetime of riding and monkey wrenching experience. Big Grin
#2 11-01-2013, 08:10 PM,
Oh... MonkeyWrenching... If you only knew... Smile

My occupation most of my life is based on working with my hands:

Auto mechanic, truck mechanic, aircraft mechanic, home improvement, and now heating and AC...

So yeah, I think you guessed that one... Smile I can handle a wrench... even a monkey wrench... <grin>

Just for fun: Do you know what is uniquely different about a left hand monkey wrench? No, I am not pulling your leg, there is such a thing... Will post the answer in a few days... someone remind me, ya know about part-seimers... Sad
GA
Glad to be riding again :cool:
#3 11-02-2013, 03:56 AM,
(11-02-2013, 03:56 AM)GA Rider Wrote: Oh... MonkeyWrenching... If you only knew... Smile

My occupation most of my life is based on working with my hands:

Auto mechanic, truck mechanic, aircraft mechanic, home improvement, and now heating and AC...

So yeah, I think you guessed that one... Smile I can handle a wrench... even a monkey wrench... <grin>

Just for fun: Do you know what is uniquely different about a left hand monkey wrench? No, I am not pulling your leg, there is such a thing... Will post the answer in a few days... someone remind me, ya know about part-seimers... Sad

Well left handed Monkey wrenches Hmmm..I was in the Navy so learned about Red and Green oil for the Port & Starboard running lights. Angel
#4 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM,
Have you ever owned a Goldwing before? If not you are in for a treat.
#5 11-03-2013, 12:58 PM,
Yes, I can see GW's are an exceptional bike!!! Smile

I am learning (through reading), they are very complicated bikes and some parts are getting scarce... not a good thing.

Read this thread at NAGW: http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/vi...30#p173230
Seems there are a lot of issues to contend with... I really would like to ride, however I do not want to do 2-3 hours shop time for every hour on the road.

Can anyone comment on that article; how many of those issues are things I will be dealing with?

THX!

There IS a left handed monkey wrench, it truly DOES exist (contrary to some popular opinion).

I will give folks a hint: In this context, a 'monkey wrench' and a 'pipe wrench' are one in the same...

Lets see if anyone knows the answer... Smile
GA
Glad to be riding again :cool:
#6 11-03-2013, 02:29 PM,
welcome to the forum

keep in mind, these GL1200's are 26 to 29 year-old motorcycles and they will have issues.
regardless of the issue, some issues may take hours of removing parts just to get TO the issue. Then take hours to put the parts back on..... head gaskets come to my mind.

upgrading/servicing the electrical connectors, charging/starting systems are a high priority on these bikes (dog bone fuse to blade fuse is a good example)

don't ask more than the bike can offer and you won't be disappointed
don't remove too many parts at once trying to tackle ALL the issues all at once, and you won't get discouraged

be patient
nibble at the issues
set priorities
forget the riding season schedule and you will stay focused (take it from an A. D. D. er)

welcome
WELCOME
WELCOME

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#7 11-05-2013, 12:54 PM,
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Life's uncertain, eat dessert first. :D
#8 11-08-2013, 07:29 PM,