Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Changing From 4 Carbs to 1 ??
I read this and it said it was Spam ?? But I would like to know if any one has done it and if they have pictures they could put on here,?

I have read lots of threads about single carb conversions for 1000 1nd 1100 Wings but have yet to come across any detailing this conversion for a 1200 I am sure there are plenty out there could any one give me some direction.

Here is a Picture of my 1200 GL engine Trike that I want to put it on,
it is all home made, I have a welding & machine shop so I can make just about everything
[Image: Trike003_zps2300a45c.jpg]
#1 12-05-2013, 12:50 PM,
Are you having performance problems with the current setup, or are you just looking for more performance out of the 1200cc's?
Ebay has a seller selling the bare intake and it uses a carburetor with a VW application. I don't know if he is posting at present, but I always bump into him when I surf 'the bay'.
I don't believe the single carburetor setup for the GL1000, 1100 or 1200 are that different, other than, maybe the elbow of the intake system.
There is a guy on You-Tube who made his single carburetor intake out of PVC and RTV.
Randakk has a twin Weber setup and I have seen blowers mounted on these pancake power plants as well.

We are limited only by our imagination............ oh, and $$$$$......oh yea, and time....... oh yea, then there is space, and weather, age and health issues........

but nuthin else!

Good Luck!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 12-05-2013, 11:23 PM,
Yes my carbs are in need of a rebuild, and by the time I spend the money to do that I can go to one carb for less money and less trouble,
I found a u tube on putting the vw carb on it and I can build the Manifold,
so I think that is the way I will go,
Thanks for the reply
#3 12-06-2013, 12:06 PM,
Thats an interesting concept and when you do it the performance numbers will be interesting to see. I would imagine jetting might be something to play with once its set up.The linkage will be fabricated and the air filtering as well.Since your bike is a fabrication is there any sensors to take into consideration? How does she handle with the rake you have on it? I ride trike so it would be interesting to ride yours,she's a lot of bike there Cool
#4 12-06-2013, 01:19 PM,
(12-06-2013, 01:19 PM)sparky65 Wrote: Thats an interesting concept and when you do it the performance numbers will be interesting to see. I would imagine jetting might be something to play with once its set up.The linkage will be fabricated and the air filtering as well.Since your bike is a fabrication is there any sensors to take into consideration? How does she handle with the rake you have on it? I ride trike so it would be interesting to ride yours,she's a lot of bike there Cool

So I could bolt a 4 barrel carb on my Wing???Big Grin
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#5 12-06-2013, 02:34 PM,
Check out this site, I tryed to put the picture on photo bucket and put it on here,
but for some reason I can't get photo Bucket to work this morning ??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLDWING-GL1200-...0766506955#

I hope this works,
#6 12-07-2013, 07:17 AM,
(12-06-2013, 02:34 PM)85GL1200I Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 01:19 PM)sparky65 Wrote: Thats an interesting concept and when you do it the performance numbers will be interesting to see. I would imagine jetting might be something to play with once its set up.The linkage will be fabricated and the air filtering as well.Since your bike is a fabrication is there any sensors to take into consideration? How does she handle with the rake you have on it? I ride trike so it would be interesting to ride yours,she's a lot of bike there Cool

So I could bolt a 4 barrel carb on my Wing???Big Grin

Theoretically, I would say "Yes" if you fabricated a plate to let you bolt the 4-bbl onto a central airbox. In practice however, automotive 4-bbl carbs are way too big for our engines.
The math is engine size in cubic inches times peak RPM divided by 3456 to get CFM of airflow.

1200cc = 73ci. A 73 ci motor running at 1000rpm pulls about 21cfm. At 7000 rpm, it pulls less than 150cfm. I don't know if you can buy a 4-bbl carb that small.

I once bolted a 4-bbl carb on a gm 235ci engine. Power went down and mileage sucked, but you know how teenage boys are.

Note: "Since your bike is a fabrication", did you just call his trike a lie? LOL

Tom
#7 12-07-2013, 07:55 AM,
it is a Single Barrel carburetor not a 4 barrel
it is vw Beetle Bug 34 pict-3
and from what I hear they work fine on 1200 cc Goldwings,
#8 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM,
(12-07-2013, 07:17 AM)Chief Ben Wrote: Check out this site, I tryed to put the picture on photo bucket and put it on here,
but for some reason I can't get photo Bucket to work this morning ??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLDWING-GL1200-...0766506955#

I hope this works,

Cool, my son is a mechanic, he's had many 1100 and 1200 wings so if he has'nt come across this one yet it'll interest him I'm sure. Cool
#9 12-07-2013, 01:17 PM,
If you're doing the conversion just for fun and experience then have at it and enjoy, but, if you're seeking better performance then you will be deeply disappointed by the single carb setup. Why? The single carb intake causes fuel puddling, increases fuel consumption, cold starts suck and cold engine drivability is terrible. How do I know this? About 8 years ago I had an online group, Back Yard Built Gold Wings, and we built and tested many different configurations of intake manifolds and fitted a multitude of different carbs and always ended up short on performance, fuel economy and drivability over the stock carbs, consistently. You can read about some of these experiences in the Back Yard Built Gold Wings Bar and Grill forum: http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/fo...php?fid=43 You'll need to look through the forum to find the carb, plenum, carb conversion threads. BTW, nice trike.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#10 12-07-2013, 07:16 PM,
Our 1200's have "4 barrel's" of CV carburetion already don't they?

Now a big ol Weber 2 barrel in front of a nice turbo....

#11 12-07-2013, 09:23 PM,
(12-07-2013, 09:23 PM)wingandaprayer Wrote: Our 1200's have "4 barrel's" of CV carburetion already don't they?

Now a big ol Weber 2 barrel in front of a nice turbo....

Yep, 4 CV type carbs. If you're going turbo it might be much easier and practical to mount a throttle body and use fuel injectors. Would be much easier to setup and tune, especially if you used O2 sensors in the exhaust. I bought a turbo and a Megasquirt fuel injection system for my bike some time ago, but, the logistics of mounting the turbo proved to be a nightmare so I never did get it installed. There is just no practical place to mount the turbo on the GL1200, unless I wanted to mount it in front of the radiator and to me all the plumbing, exhaust pipes and mechanicals would ruin the good looks of my bike. Now, if I was racing that would be different.

#12 12-07-2013, 09:43 PM,
I know your not trying to scare me out of doing this, and I know i'm not that smart on this carb idea I have, but I won't know for sure until I try it,
I found this U-Tube on this carb idea on an other web site,
Please watch it and tell me what you all think,
if it works as good as the guy says then I'll be ok with it. Thanks Guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuuRdwyKIE
#13 12-07-2013, 10:42 PM,
(12-07-2013, 10:42 PM)Chief Ben Wrote: I know your not trying to scare me out of doing this, and I know i'm not that smart on this carb idea I have, but I won't know for sure until I try it,
I found this U-Tube on this carb idea on an other web site,
Please watch it and tell me what you all think,
if it works as good as the guy says then I'll be ok with it. Thanks Guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuuRdwyKIE

If a guy does not know how to properly tune the GL1200 carbs then this may be the carb setup for you, but, bear in mind that you will lose power and fuel economy and possibly drivability as well. You'll need to throw some money around and make a huge time investment in making the single carb run right. There are a lot of dynamics at play here and there is a good reason that Honda chose 4 carbs instead of 1, but, even the 1500 only has 2 carbs for its 6 cylinders. I have seen many guys think they had a better setup with the single carb, but, the reality is that it could not compare to a good running 4 carb setup. The 4 stock carbs work pretty darn good when setup correctly and from my personal experience the single carb is a detriment to the GL1200, but, everyone deserves to have some fun and excitement in their lives so go ahead and make the single carb happen on your bike and keep us informed of the results with text and pictures. Good luck and all the best to you.

#14 12-08-2013, 06:38 AM,