Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
I LOVE MY GL1200, I REALLY DO
In the past, when riding other motorcycles I have either owned or borrowed, I almost always, when pulling into my garage at the end of a ride, find something to criticize about the bike at the end of the ride. Not so with my GL1200. For instance, yesterday, I rode about 4 hours on the way home from Port Dover and at the end of the ride I did not want to stop riding because my GL1200 just made me feel so darn good that I wanted to keep going and going just like the Energizer bunny. I love the sound of the engine on this yellow bike. I think the stainless steel extension pipes add just the right amount of rumble, but, yet the noise is not so much that it hurts my ears like other bikes do. I especially enjoy hearing the symphony that the pistons make when I turn the wick up over 5000 RPM and the pull at the handlebars is nothing short of impressive and you have to be paying close attention to the road because this 30 year old motorcycle still can accelerate with intense vigor causing a great big smile to spread across my face. More than enough power to get me into trouble and keep me satisfied.

Speaking of satisfied, the Diamond seat never once caused any discomfort and I probably could have kept riding for at least another few hours. Very comfortable ride for sure and the Shinko Tourmaster tires help a great deal with that riding comfort because they seem to take away most of the hard slapping from road gaps and cracks that used to shake me up so much when I used other tires on this bike. Speaking of comfort and don't tell my wife, but, I had forgotten how nice it is to ride solo and not in a group. I've got to do this more often because it sure is nice to not have a schedule, a direction or restriction on the ride. I can accelerate as quickly as I want and reach any speed I want to and I don't feel a thumping on my back or yelling in my ear and I am not confined by a group I am riding with. Group riding is nice sometimes, but, solo riding is where it's at for me. Just set the final destination on my GPS, set it for no highways and no gravel roads and suddenly I am presented with beautiful roads and sights I have never seen before. The sun was shining just enough to keep my layers of clothing right enough to keep me comfy and warm and the fairing and windshield kept me out of the wind just enough to make riding a pleasure. What an incredibly awesome ride on a truly wonderful motorcycle and when I pulled into my garage and shut it down I felt a little sad because I really wanted to keep riding, but, my wife was waiting for me and now the riding fun was to be over for this day.

No complaints at all about my GL1200. I am very proud to own this 30 year old motorcycle. Surprisingly, at least 6 people along my trek thought that my GL1200 is a brand new motorcycle and could not believe it when I told them that it is 30 years old. Amazing what a little paintwork can do for an old bike and that yellow color, which is my wife's choosing, sure keeps us noticed in a crowd, but, more than that it makes this bike blatantly obvious in traffic according to some cagers who have thanked me for making my bike visible to them. All in all, I love my GL1200, I really do, and not even the temptation of a new or different motorcycle draws me away from this beautiful old bike because, much like having found a truly good wife, I do not feel disappointed or shortchanged at the thought of keeping this old GL1200 with me for the rest of my life because it is truly that good for me and I really cannot complain about this bike at all. Keep the shiny side up.

[Image: DSC09400a2_zpsda2678b5.jpg]
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 09-15-2013, 05:03 AM,
I feel the same way with my bike at the end of a weeks worth of commuting.
I don't know about you folks, but I talk to my bike...... when I go home and get off the freeway, I give her a pat on the left side of the faux tank, the way one might a horse.
When I get to work, I give the left fairing pocket a double pat, then at the end of the day, call out, 'Hey Girl! ready to take us home?'
Nut or crazy, I know but that is the way I am with my vehicles. (don't forget, I am A.D.D. Big Grin)
It is a great machine, well designed and thought out. To think, one day I will have to walk away from my GL1200 is not something I want to think about.... but the day will come.

In the meantime...........

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM,
Add me into the "Love my GL1200" I've had to work on my LTD this last few weeks.Different Rad,Pulse Generator sensor,added a CB,added HID front lighting for safety. February installed the Insta-trike. The things I've done have all been worth every penny and the time involved, she just keeps getting better.
Just under 100,000 Kms. now, the engine is tight,no oil added between changes.She flashes up like a dream cold or hot.
Good strong engine... yep, last saturday in a toy run I'm running with 1268 other bikes,Harleys all around me, these boys like to throttle up, came to a long straight climb they throttled up...instant Thunder..you guys know the sound...ok I'm not goin to eat their dust,drop a gear and crack the throttle, surprise I pull the front wheel off for a few
seconds and the stuffed Monkey I had flies off the dash into my lap...whohoo I almost lost my....Monkey LOL. I'm a civilized easy on the throttle rider but this engine has what it takes and just keeps giving,not bad for an engine almost 30 years old.

The name on my old girl "Papa's Ride" suites me,suites my personality,she's a keeper and I'm proud of her.
My Grandaughter riding co-pilot behind my son on his wing later says Grandpa,how come everyone was smiling and waving at you and not other people,

"Its the Bike sweetie its the Bike" Big Grin
#3 09-16-2013, 01:17 PM,
I was up in Tampa a couple months ago and met up with a lady riding an 85 Harley, She sure was proud of that bike and challenged me at a light to see which of us could make the next light first... about 1 mile away

Well, I laid into it and watched as she pulled out into the lead. When she was about 3 bike lengths ahead, I shifted to second gear and flew past her (she was already in 5th).

Got to the next light, set my kickstand and waited for her. When she got there she asked how I got power all the sudden, I looked at her, grinned and said "I shifted to second gear"

She wasn't quite as proud of her Harley after that...
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#4 09-16-2013, 07:14 PM,
(09-16-2013, 07:14 PM)wildhorse Wrote: I was up in Tampa a couple months ago and met up with a lady riding an 85 Harley, She sure was proud of that bike and challenged me at a light to see which of us could make the next light first... about 1 mile away

Well, I laid into it and watched as she pulled out into the lead. When she was about 3 bike lengths ahead, I shifted to second gear and flew past her (she was already in 5th).

Got to the next light, set my kickstand and waited for her. When she got there she asked how I got power all the sudden, I looked at her, grinned and said "I shifted to second gear"

She wasn't quite as proud of her Harley after that...

A couple of years ago I did much the same thing when a couple of friends stopped by my place with their brand new $27,000. Harleys. They could beat me across an intersection but my 84 GL1200 had them every time after that point. They never did do much riding with me after that day. I guess an old yellow bike walking away from their bikes was just too much for their pride to bear.

#5 09-17-2013, 04:50 AM,
ditto,
white lined up to the front of traffic at an intersection.
a Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 (I use both names because it took two families to make the company what it is today - credit where credit is due) was already at the light.
Later a 600cc Japanese crotch rocket rolls up
now all three of us are (im)patiently waiting for the green.......

GREEN!!

The 883 jumps out front.....
the crotch rocket follows a bike or two behind.....
and then me at a 'old man bike', sedate acceleration.

The sedatness lasted until I had crossed the intersection and then I said, 'why not?'

first to second shift and by now, the crotch rocket had passed the 883,
second to third shift, and I had passed the 883,
third to forth shift, and I had caught up with the crotch rocket,
riding next to him in fourth, I slipped it into fifth, and left him like he was parked!

Meeting up at the next red light (a distance of about 8 city blocks), the crotch rocket nodded his helmet in approval.
The 883 lines up with us and I get a thumbs up.

Given the approval of the two novices, I simply smiled and said to myself.......

what are your bikes going to be like at when they are over 25 years old and have over 100,000 miles?

they will both probably be Angel
while I am still Cool

Thank-You Honda Goldwing Design Team!!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM,
(09-17-2013, 08:12 AM)bs175dths Wrote: ditto,
white lined up to the front of traffic at an intersection.
a Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 (I use both names because it took two families to make the company what it is today - credit where credit is due) was already at the light.
Later a 600cc Japanese crotch rocket rolls up
now all three of us are (im)patiently waiting for the green.......

GREEN!!

The 883 jumps out front.....
the crotch rocket follows a bike or two behind.....
and then me at a 'old man bike', sedate acceleration.

The sedatness lasted until I had crossed the intersection and then I said, 'why not?'

first to second shift and by now, the crotch rocket had passed the 883,
second to third shift, and I had passed the 883,
third to forth shift, and I had caught up with the crotch rocket,
riding next to him in fourth, I slipped it into fifth, and left him like he was parked!

Meeting up at the next red light (a distance of about 8 city blocks), the crotch rocket nodded his helmet in approval.
The 883 lines up with us and I get a thumbs up.

Given the approval of the two novices, I simply smiled and said to myself.......

what are your bikes going to be like at when they are over 25 years old and have over 100,000 miles?

they will both probably be Angel
while I am still Cool

Thank-You Honda Goldwing Design Team!!

-Ride On

Yep...well said..I'll take our long life well balanced liquid cooled engine any day, sure they have there quirks like a clunky transmission but it does'nt drop second gear like a Venture,it does'nt have the torque of a twin but will run all day and
not overheat,Its a handfull in a parking lot but out there on the highway it'll be running long after others are gone and in the bone yard.
Finally my back thanks me at the end of a 500 mile day rather than feeling like I just survived a Hurricane, totally exhausted,Yes thankyou Mother Honda Cool
#7 09-17-2013, 03:34 PM,
At the end of the day, all in all, I like the fact that I can work on it myself. I tend to be weary of dealerships working on my vehicles. They certainly don't put the love into it, and half hire kids to do the basics. I don't want to be at the mercy of someone who might be in a bad mood, hungover, fighting with their wife or girlfriend, or just a screw up in general. The 1200s so far have proven to be owner/mechanic friendly.
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#8 09-24-2013, 05:35 AM,
Our 3 day trip through the North Cascades 2-up last weekend was a good test of my old girl. Those Mountains will test a bike and show you what its made of. It did'nt burn a drop of oil or use any coolant whatsoever,did'nt overheat even once and just kept giving and giving. 40 to 45 MPG average, she's good for 280 to 300 Kms. before I start looking for gas. Spent Monday and Tuesday after the trip checking her over cleaning her up,checking nuts and bolts on the trike and tomorrow morning I'm off again on another trip. Yep "I LOVE MY 1200, I REALLY DO"

The Machines in the background were used to open the Hwy again after it was closed for several days after a rock slide.This Hwy is closed all winter because its Avalanche Alley and impassable.
Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#9 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM,
yeh I'm in that love me 1200 catergory too. have had numerous people thinking the bike is new and are surprised to find she is getting on a bit.

Recently rode for the first time in a goldwing group, mostly 1800's but all where very friendly and at a stop a few riders came to look at my girl, they where all very impressed, one bloke commented that while he rode a 1800, he felt there is just something quite special about a 1200.
Robbie
1986 GL1200 Aspencade (mariah)
#10 10-04-2013, 06:38 PM,
(10-04-2013, 06:38 PM)Robbie Wrote: one bloke commented that while he rode a 1800, he felt there is just something quite special about a 1200.

He is quite right about that Robbie.

#11 10-04-2013, 07:17 PM,
when sat on my 1200 for the first time, there was a wonderful feeling of this is where I belong, I have since sat on 1500 and 1800, nice bikes for sure, but nope they just dont give me that special feeling the 1200 gives me every time I ride.
Robbie
1986 GL1200 Aspencade (mariah)
#12 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM,
(10-04-2013, 07:24 PM)Robbie Wrote: when sat on my 1200 for the first time, there was a wonderful feeling of this is where I belong, I have since sat on 1500 and 1800, nice bikes for sure, but nope they just dont give me that special feeling the 1200 gives me every time I ride.

I have my better half trained now,she knows not to get in the way of me and my old girl and the thing is she loves this bike too its taken us places together she still talks about long after.So she knows when I get that look in my eye and start putting on leather she just smiles and says "Enjoy your ride"there's never any discussion,never any questioning it just is what it is..my need of freedom fresh air and to be at one with everything around me on my old girl. She gets it,she understands,I love my wife for that and she knows it.I worked hard all my life,Im retired now and this is what I do."Pride" in something you love is a good thing,for me it happens to be my 1985 gl1200 LTD Goldwing. I rest my case Wink
#13 10-05-2013, 10:36 AM,
I posted earlier in this thread but wanted to ask folks:

do you talk to your bike?
I greet her in the morning and in the afternoon when she takes us home again.
At the first red light after the 40+ minute freeway ride, I gently pat her of the left side of the faux tank, as if patting the mane of a horse.

BTW, I have to take my Suburban to work on Mondays, (light traffic both ways) because the Suburban isn't being used on a weekly basis and I don't want it to sit.

Tuesday morning the GL is a bit mad with me...... but it doesn't last long.

-Ride On
#14 10-07-2013, 09:22 AM,
Yesterday on our 235 K Sunday ride,4 wings, 6 of us (2 wives), we stopped at a quiet beach to stretch our legs and take in the fresh salt air in the sunshine. A nice old bright red 1946 International Pickup pulled in beside our bikes. Imediately I had to walk over and talk to him,it was like a magnet. What was so interesting is how quickly we had a connection, I asked him about his nice old truck and it was his pride and joy,he mentioned a few flaws in it (which I would have missed) be the thing is he restored this truck himself and knew every nut and bolt of his truck. Thats how it is with a collector bike or truck,or car, the pride of ownership. This was not a body shop restoration he paid someone to do,he did it himself and thats what a lot of us here do as well. Shops often don't want to work on our old bikes any more and we arn't willing to give them up,they have a life of their own and we can't bare the thought of putting them down.A lot of people don't understand a connection with a machine like we do, but they also haven't put their heart and soul into keeping a near 30 year old machine running long after others have gone to the bone yard. Yep its a "Pride" thing. Just Sayin Big Grin
#15 10-07-2013, 11:41 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart Do you drive a GL1200 because it is all you can afford or because you love your 1200 admin 43 25,181 03-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Last Post: 54panel
  I have a Love for my GL1200, but.... bs175dths 4 3,252 02-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Last Post: jaycojman43