Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jumping Ship
My son who's 38 and has been riding motorcycles since he was 5 took his first long tour with his Dad here when he was 10 and has owned 4 Goldwings plus countless dirtbikes and streetbikes. He's decided its time to move on and we're going to look at a couple of 1500's this weekend. He loves his 1985 LTD its a real show piece decked out with almost every option and piece of chrome available which took him several years to acumulate. He won show and shine prizes with it. It was a hard decision for him to give it up because of the countless hours he's put into it but alas he can't aford a stable because he's just a young hard working guy with a family to support.
I think I'm going to advise him to take a couple of last photos of it and frame the picture for his trophy wall so he'll always have it.When he told me of his decision he took me aside like something was seriously wrong and said he hoped it would'nt upset me what he was about to say..you see we have a matching pair of 85 LTD's til now.

Are we the only ones that get attached to our bikes like this? Are collectors a breed apart with a lot of pride and joy in there bikes,many would'nt understand this is my guess.
#1 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM,
You do get attached to them. When I sold my 1500 it was the saddest day of my life. I had a few HDs and it didn't bother me when I got rid of them, but the selling of the Wing was deeply upsetting. I hope to build another Wing trike when the funds can be built up.
Life's uncertain, eat dessert first. :D
#2 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM,
We get attached.

I purchased my bike from the son of the deceased original owner....... who was attached (according to the three, count them, three neighbors who went out of their way to tell me so while I was tying her to the trailer.)
The son kept the bike for two years after his Dad had passed.
The first guy who came to see the bike offered the son, ½ what he was asking.
I came, saw, listened (battery booster and quick start in order to run) and paid his asking price.
Two years of spare time, less than $300 in parts and she was road worthy again.
On her third set of tires, new head gaskets, external alternator and 40,000 miles later, she still brings a smile to this man's face.

Attached?

Attached?????

Yea, I am attached!!!!!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 08-07-2013, 09:52 AM,
We bought a new 87 Interstate in 88 when the 1500's came out, got a great deal, the dealer was wanting to move it. If the weather was decent we rode it before jumping in the car. Got it paid off, everything was sweet. Then, my truck was stolen, only had liability on it. I was going through a training program and was not making a lot of money. The only way to get another vehicle was to sell the 'wing, sad day. Sold it to my postman. Rode it to his house and my wife followed me and started crying as I pulled out of our driveway. I thought I saw it last year, heart fluttered and I turned around. Pulled up, pulse continued to increase. Got close and realized that it was not mine, disappointment followed! Yep, you get attached to them!

Tickled to be riding our 86 Aspencade we bought last month. We get to relive our younger years! Yep, you get attached to them.
#4 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ship is back ship 4 1,580 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Last Post: waltharper
  I need to ship a GL1200 engine and need a shipper admin 3 1,320 06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Last Post: admin