Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo on but no sound...
I was doing some rewiring on a auxiliary outlet under left glove box and now I have no sound. Are there connectors for the stereo speakers in there? Everything looked ok Huh
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#1 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM,
(10-19-2013, 05:55 PM)vern38 Wrote: I was doing some rewiring on a auxiliary outlet under left glove box and now I have no sound. Are there connectors for the stereo speakers in there? Everything looked ok Huh

There's a couple of large grey 5 pin connectors with black plugs in there and there is also a fuse for the radio memory. On my bike one of the connectors inside the main fairing harness connector corroded and lost contact killing power to the radio. I studied the schematic for that main connector, mine's an '84 Aspencade, and by using an ohm meter I was able to determine which connector was bad by measuring continuity from one side of the main connector to the other. I could not fix the corroded connector so I snipped the wires off on each side of the main fairing connector, soldered extra wire in to make them longer and then ran the wire through a hole in the fairing and installed male and female connectors on the wires, connected them up and everything worked fine afterward.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 10-19-2013, 06:14 PM,
Thanks will check that out. I was putting the bike back together and decided to update a lighter plug that had been installed in that glove box and I guess I pulled something loose. Everything works power changes stations etc just no sound.
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#3 10-19-2013, 06:44 PM,
first place i would look would be at the two DIN connectors inside at the travel computer,if they are connected bypass the travel computer avc unit by rehooking those two connectors (bike side) together and see if sound returns,after that head back into the rear of the pocket and see if cables to the multiplexer are connected properly
does the radio play correctly thru helmet speakers?
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 10-19-2013, 06:57 PM,
Ya ever feel like just trowing the towel. Well I have tried everything both of you have told me to check to no avail. I did find one thing the large multi-pin connector under the lock door on the false tank was loose every time I moved it everything went on and off. So I plugged it together out of the holder and it has a good connection now. Here comes the fun part the bike started clicking when I was trying to start it. It has a new solenoid, new battery all new updated fuse holders and cables so I knew it wasn't that. I have had it happen before but it went away so I didn't worry about it. Well today it was click city, might start on the 10th or 12th try then start clicking again. Well I took a plastic handle screw driver and tapped on the side of starter and it started so I turned it off and tried to start it again "Click" so I tapped on the starter again and it started. It's not dragging and it kicks off like it should I even checked where the positive goes into the starter and it looks clean I even loosened the nut and re-tightened it. Bad ground? Maybe? Or is this going on me as well Huh Undecided
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#5 10-20-2013, 04:16 PM,
Try a booster cable from the positive terminal on the bike's battery to the starter lug effectively bypassing the solenoid. If it cranks good every time with the booster cable then the solenoid is bad, if it still acts up when you apply 12 volts directly to the starter lug the starter is at fault. Could be the starter brushes are sticking in their holders. When you tap the starter it frees them up to move and make contact. Get a starter rebuild kit then tear your starter down for a cleaning and a brush replacement.

#6 10-20-2013, 05:17 PM,
Decided to upgrade the stereo on the bike since the other one bit the dust. I'm going to leave the current system intact and run all new wiring and as for the stereo I found one right at the same width and height but almost 2" shorter in depth. That way I don't have to remove the current mounting system in fact looks like I can use the slide mounts. Also looks like I'm only going to lose one feature the bike has and that's the auto volume up or down on acceleration and deceleration. The great news is I will be getting some updated features I have been wanting along with 200 watts total power. Going to have to change the speakers as well but that's ok. As for the starter I got the brushes in today and I'm going to take it out clean it up and replace the brushes. That aught to keep me busy this weekend... Cool
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#7 10-23-2013, 06:23 PM,
With 200 watts, I hope you have an external alternator Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#8 10-23-2013, 07:51 PM,
Yea buddy gonna need it. Big Grin
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#9 10-24-2013, 04:54 AM,
(10-23-2013, 06:23 PM)vern38 Wrote: Decided to upgrade the stereo on the bike since the other one bit the dust. I'm going to leave the current system intact and run all new wiring and as for the stereo I found one right at the same width and height but almost 2" shorter in depth. That way I don't have to remove the current mounting system in fact looks like I can use the slide mounts. Also looks like I'm only going to lose one feature the bike has and that's the auto volume up or down on acceleration and deceleration. The great news is I will be getting some updated features I have been wanting along with 200 watts total power. Going to have to change the speakers as well but that's ok. As for the starter I got the brushes in today and I'm going to take it out clean it up and replace the brushes. That aught to keep me busy this weekend... Cool

What is the brand name/model of that new stereo unit?

Thanks
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#10 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM,
BOSS Audio Systems 612UA 200 Watt 4 channel, $35.00 plus tax and shipping from WalMart.com Total $47.60. Reviews were good and the price was right didn't want to dump big bucks into the stereo this should be more than enough for the bike. You will have to upgrade the speakers as the factory speakers on the bike are 8 watt I changed mine out tonight to 48 watt speakers. I will post some pictures...
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#11 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM,
Since this was a trouble shooting post I am going to make another one on the stereo Install. On with the project...
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#12 10-31-2013, 06:24 PM,
Guy's,

I'm having a similar issue but when I turn my key on and don't start the engine the radio plays fine, once I start the engine on my 86 Sei the radio fades out but may eventually come back for a short stint. Turning the radio or auto volume controls controls up or down has no effect once it fades out. I bypassed the auto volume/tone control by plugging the bike side connectors together with the same results. I also tried a different console assy, again with the same result. I have cleaned all the connectors and used dielectric grease on all the connectors. I have also taken the switch's out of the console cleaned them with contact cleaner and put it all back together with the same issue, what am I missing ? Any suggestions ? One thing I should add in is that if you turn the ignition off and then back on the volume comes back but if you start the engine it will fade out shortly.

Steve P
#13 04-18-2014, 04:48 PM,
Try wiggling the ignition switch key left and right a little bit to see if the switch contacts are dirty. Also work all of the radio switches on the bike because there could be dirty contacts in one of them or one is possibly in the wrong position.

#14 04-19-2014, 09:55 AM,