GL1200 GOLDWINGS
UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - Printable Version

+- GL1200 GOLDWINGS (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200)
+-- Forum: TECH CENTER (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: IGNITION SYSTEM CAUSES AND CURES (http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM (/showthread.php?tid=9853)

Pages: 1 2 3

UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - admin - 02-14-2013

Quite often I have had to deal with sputtering and misfiring while driving my bike in the pouring rain (don't enjoy that kind of riding, but, need to get somewhere.) Quite often I have found that spiders had built a web in the spark plug drain holes, plugging them, allowing the spark plug wells to fill with water which causes the spark to go to ground at the spark plug boot thereby inducing a misfire. I also once found a cracked coil causing the misfiring problem, so, I had to replace the coils, but, in spite of good coils and clean drain holes I still ended up with misfiring and rough running when the engine was wet with rain. I've been thinking about this for years: http://accel-motorcycle.com/motorcylce-and-atv/ignition-coils/universal-super-coil-kit-4cyl-inductive.html and I finally took the plunge and invested in a much improved (in theory anyway) ignition system for my bike. Apparently the coils put out much greater spark voltage and the rise time is much faster so the spark should get to the plugs quicker and much hotter. The plug wires are a gigantic 8.8 mm and look like the size of my baby finger and since they are resistor wires with a carbon core no inline resistors are required which means fewer mechanical joints in the plug wire system. I'll need to trim some of the air cleaner box to make them fit, but, if they eliminate wet weather misfiring and help cold starts and fuel economy then I'm guessing they will be worth the investment. I used to run Accel products on my drag race car with very good results, so, I am hoping that this ignition system: http://accel-motorcycle.com/motorcylce-and-atv/ignition-coils/universal-super-coil-kit-4cyl-inductive.html will yield the same positive results that I am accustomed to. It will be a while before I get to test these beauties because my bike is down for paint repairs, but, as soon as the bike is roadworthy again I'll giving a full report about the coils here. If you have experience with these coils please chime in and share all the details.

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - neoracer - 02-14-2013

been using Taylor Spiro-Pro wires for several years with excellent results using stock coils,but have thought about using some MSD coils http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-73253/?rtype=10

would definitely be interested in seeing the positive results of installing this sysytem,keep us appraised

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - admin - 02-14-2013

(02-14-2013, 08:19 AM)neoracer Wrote: been using Taylor Spiro-Pro wires for several years with excellent results using stock coils,but have thought about using some MSD coils http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-73253/?rtype=10

would definitely be interested in seeing the positive results of installing this sysytem,keep us appraised

Those Spiro-Pro wires are interesting because they have a spiral wound metal wire that runs from one end to the other maintaining a constant current flow, yet they still offer the resistance needed to keep the static down on the radio. Sometimes carbon core wires can be damaged by rough handling causing a break in the current flow so you must be very gentle when bending them or else the wires become instant garbage. Stock GL1200 wires are stranded solid core metal wire all the way through which necessitates the use of an inline resistor which can and does, all too often, fail. I have seen and read where MSD(multiple spark discharge) is great for the race track, but, not for the street because they are too hard on the spark plugs due to increased electrode erosion and the benefits of MSD are mostly derived when used in a very high compression application, so, you might want to look into it carefully before opening your wallet.

I'm really anxious to try out those Accel coils. Claims I have read are faster starting, smoother idling and running and that one might even have to richen the jets because the spark is so much hotter that it leans out the fuel mixture plus the spark plug gap can be opened up for a hotter spark yet. Cold starts are supposed to be so much better as well and I would lean in that direction also because the stock spark on GL1200 barely gets the job done on a very cold day, lots of sputtering and misfiring until the engine temp comes up a little. Hoping for the best and will give a full report once I get them installed and tested.

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - PanMan75 - 02-16-2013

Definitely interested in this upgrade Vic.......looking fwd to hearing your results

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - admin - 05-28-2013

I give this upgrade 2 thumbs up. What an incredible improvement in how my bike's engine runs now.. In the past I had to give full choke when starting from cold, but, now with the Accel coils I can start my bike stone cold without using the choke and it keeps running. Also, I notice that I no longer get an unburnt fuel smell from the exhaust and the engine runs very smooth when cold. It's just amazing, one touch of the start button and it's running compared to before with the stock coils that were so weak that the plugs fouled and sometimes so bad that I actually had to apply heat from a small heater in order to get the engine to run otherwise the spark plugs would just foul out and stop the bike from running. Installing these Accel coils and spark plug wires was a challenge because I had to relocate a few electronic components to make room for the new coils. My iridium spark plugs are gapped at .060" and the Accel coils have no problem at all in firing them. The wider gap means that the fire in the combustion chamber will be more intense translating to, hopefully, more power and better fuel economy. I post again once I have done some serious riding and testing.

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - PanMan75 - 05-29-2013

Vic......Please keep me posted on this one. If it maintains the performance that you are experiencing now, all my other projects will be on hold and this will be done to mine ASAP!!! What did you have to do to make the coils fit?

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - neoracer - 05-29-2013

30 years ago i installed accell coils in my CB750K2,never had a problem and bike ran flawlessly,but due to AAML
cannot remember any specifics

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - admin - 05-29-2013

(05-29-2013, 05:07 AM)PanMan75 Wrote: Vic......Please keep me posted on this one. If it maintains the performance that you are experiencing now, all my other projects will be on hold and this will be done to mine ASAP!!! What did you have to do to make the coils fit?

I had to relocate 2 electronic modules originally located under the Honda coils and relocate a relay away from the new coils, not a big deal, just a slight challenge till I figured out where to put them. The Accel coils are considerably larger than the original coils and the spark plug wire towers face out to the sides of the bike, but, everything fits comfortably once you find a new home for the 3 electrical components that need relocation. Thank goodness for tie wraps which makes the job much easier. Also, the new, yellow 8.8 mm spark plug wires take up more space as well, but, I went one step further to protect and shield the plug wires by covering them with 10 mm clear vinyl tubing from end to end and sealing the ends with RTV silicone. This should give greater electrical leak protection and help the wires to last longer and not be affected by moisture which could cause cross firing and misfiring. It's freakin' amazing how I can now go to my bike, stone cold, hit the starter button and it starts instantly and keeps running without issues, never had that happen before. I'll leave the iridium plugs gapped at .060" for now until I notice any issues and if they do arise I'll bring the gap down to .035", but, experience has shown me that if you can fire a wide plug gap you'll get a hotter spark and a better and clean running engine. Hopefully, I get the few things that need final adjusting on my bike done today and I'll have it on the road tomorrow. Will be back with further reports.

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - admin - 05-29-2013

(05-29-2013, 05:50 AM)neoracer Wrote: 30 years ago i installed accell coils in my CB750K2,never had a problem and bike ran flawlessly,but due to AAML
cannot remember any specifics

American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers ("AAML")???? Refresh my memory neoracer.

NO NO NO

Advanced Age Memory Loss

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - PanMan75 - 05-29-2013

Seems like a pretty straight fwd job......getting excited now!!!!!

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - Frank - 05-29-2013

We call that CRS, Can't Remember Shit

yep.that too but like i said AAML because i couldn't remember that either

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - PanMan75 - 06-06-2013

Vic...any more updates on this?

RE: UPGRADING MY GL1200 IGNITION SYSTEM - admin - 06-06-2013

No updates yet. My bike is down for tire installation, cosmetic touches, carb rebuilding and fine tuning. Will give a road test report once she's up and running again.