Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1984 Wing - What to look for
Hello everyone. A Gold Wing newbie here. A friend has an '84 Wing project that he wants to trade for a Triumph Spitfire project I have. At this point all I know is that it has 70,000 miles, and the stator was just replaced. My question is what other things do I need to be specifically aware of on this bike? I'm not new to motorcycles, as I've been riding on and off for 40 years. I'm a decent home mechanic, at least in my opinion. General condition and things universal to motorcycles I can deal with, but I really don't know much about the Wings. Other than the alternator being a weak point, what do I need to know? TIA, etc.

Bill
Minneaplolis MN
#1 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM,
If you dont know if the timing belts have been changed, change them.

Timing Belts (2 each)
NAPA – 250070
Gates – 5043 or T070 (available thru most NAPA & CarQuest stores)
Goodyear - 40272
Dayco 95070

I usually use the gates belt

Check on a regular basis the main fuse, you may convert it to an auto 30 amp fuse. The 3 yellow wires in a plug to the left side of the battery, remove the plug and solder and double heat shrink the connections.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 04-09-2013, 04:55 PM,
You might pull the rear wheel and grease the slpines on the wheel and final drive with molly 60 grease. If they dry up and wear it is a costly repair. I do mine every Spring.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 04-10-2013, 04:18 AM,
Why did your friend turn the bike into a project?
What has he done and what did he plan to do and why?
The battery cover has a nak of flying off these bikes if not teathered somehow. Fle-bay has them (expensive) and reproductions are available, then there is painting to match your bike's color.
If rusting frames are a concern in your area, check the frame out.
Same goes for a rusty exhaust.
The trunk base will crack or full on break if not supported. If this one is, plastic pipe adhesive may repair it - but I would recommend a factory bracket.

Electrical is the biggie - specifically the charging system. Folks around here (and other places) have complained about low mileage replacement stators failing so don't count on the recently replaced stator to solve the problem.
Has the stator been replaced before? How many miles were on the one recently removed?
Don't get me wrong...... I spent two years of spare time doing a boat load of work on a bike with 104K miles and had been sitting for two years, before I was able to enjoy what only the GL1200 has to offer. Since then, I have had to do head gaskets and most recently, alternator conversion, but am still a (unmedicated) happy camper!!

-Riding On , and on, and on
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM,
stator replaced or not i would want to check that the battery is correctly charging at 2500-3000,should be in 14 - 14,5 range,alot of stator replacements are known to be short lived
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 04-10-2013, 10:07 AM,