Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Which temperature sensor?
I have an '87 Aspy. My temp gauge is not working so I am replacing the temp sensor. The sensor that is presently on the bike has a single threaded pole with one blue wire attached. I noticed laying off to the side was a 2 pole plug not plugged to anything. After reading a few posts I think I need a 2 pole Temp sensor. The honda parts website shows a single pole, not threaded.
Totally confused at this point, does anyone know what I need or what will work??
#1 02-11-2013, 07:24 PM,
the 2 pole is the fan switch
#2 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM,
Yes, the fan switch is the one closest to the fan. I have taken both out at this point. The fan switch has 2 round prongs. This is where it gets tricky...
An unused plug with 2 flat insets was lying unplugged to anything. The temp sensor had one threaded prong with a single blue wire attached to it. My guess is the previous owner replaced a 2 prong sensor with the single prong sensor and left the stock 2 prong connector unplugged. But I have no history with this bike yet so I am just not sure what the correct sensor would be. And if it takes the 2 prong what happens with the blue wire.
#3 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM,
there are 2 sending units on the thermostat housing 2 round pins (fan) 1 flat temp sender there is one close to rear of eng with a screw connector its the oil press sender thats all that should be on it IF the bike is fuel injected there may be one at the rear of the tube going out of the back of housing its to tell fi computer what temp eng is running at to set fuel needed
#4 02-11-2013, 09:57 PM,
Is the rear sensor the one sending information to the temp gauge on the dash?
And are you saying that it should only have a single wire connection?
I am not getting any reading on the temp gauge on the dash.
#5 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM,
looked up wireing for 87 asp the sender is the small one up front it shows a different sender it may have a blue and green wires if so green is ground . if you ground blue wire guage should move
#6 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM,
Thanks, it must not be grounded, I only see one blue wire. I will have to dig into it this weekend again.
#7 02-11-2013, 10:33 PM,
thay may have tryed to put an auto sender in the bike and messed with the wires to try and make it work did the guage work when wire grounded the blue wire in the 2 wire plug
#8 02-11-2013, 10:56 PM,
On the Aspy it is a 2 spade sensor, The Interstate uses the single pole sensor, this can be used on the Aspy providing the correct wire is connected.

One side of the 2 spade model goes to ground, on the single pole model the ground is through the base.

I do have the part number around somewhere, I will try to dig it up.

I think it is shown on the LTD manual somewhere

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#9 02-12-2013, 06:19 AM,
(02-12-2013, 06:19 AM)tricky Wrote: On the Aspy it is a 2 spade sensor, The Interstate uses the single pole sensor, this can be used on the Aspy providing the correct wire is connected.

One side of the 2 spade model goes to ground, on the single pole model the ground is through the base.

Oh Wise and helpful moderator, thank you!
The spades on that sensor look exactly like the unused plug hanging loose.
The correct part number would be greatly appreciated. The replacement sensors I have seen do not match. They all have parallel spades.
What is the Blue wire that was attached to the sensor? Since I have the plug and the blue wire does it need to be grounded.
#10 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM,
(02-12-2013, 06:19 AM)tricky Wrote: On the Aspy it is a 2 spade sensor, The Interstate uses the single pole sensor, this can be used on the Aspy providing the correct wire is connected.

Is this it?
37510-MB9-871
#11 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM,
[attachment=2809][attachment=2809]If you look at the diagram you will see the only blue wire is to the Oil pressure switch

If you trace the wiring up to the left side of the frame under the false tank you will find a 6 pin mini plug (RED) with 3 green wires one of which has a blue sleeve. This wire is the one that send the information to the gauge. the other two are grounds, one for the fan switch and the other for the coolant sensor.

You can do a test on the sensor using the other posted diagram.

On the 2 spade sensor the test wires got to the spades, on the single pole model on wire to the pole and one to the body.

PS still working on that part number

I think it is 36151-mc7-003 But not certain yet. The microfiche that are online leave a lot to be desired in some respects.

One time I had the service people at Honda Canada searching and they couldn't find it either Smile so don't feel bad Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#12 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM,
(02-12-2013, 02:05 PM)tricky Wrote: If you look at the diagram you will see the only blue wire is to the Oil pressure switch

If you trace the wiring up to the left side of the frame under the false tank you will find a 6 pin mini plug (RED) with 3 green wires one of which has a blue sleeve. This wire is the one that send the information to the gauge. the other two are grounds, one for the fan switch and the other for the coolant sensor.

You can do a test on the sensor using the other posted diagram.

On the 2 spade sensor the test wires got to the spades, on the single pole model on wire to the pole and one to the body.

PS still working on that part number

I think it is 36151-mc7-003 But not certain yet. The microfiche that are online leave a lot to be desired in some respects.

One time I had the service people at Honda Canada searching and they couldn't find it either Smile so don't feel bad Smile

Crossing my fingers but just ordered one of eBay for $24. Have to wait a week before it arrives but better than $70 for one that requires rewiring.
Thanks for your help, I saw your 2007 posts where nobody knew what you were talking about. "I feel your pains"!!
Thanks again!
#13 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM,
(02-12-2013, 10:54 AM)Hillbilly Rider Wrote:

Oh Wise and helpful moderator, thank you!
The spades on that sensor look exactly like the unused plug hanging loose.
The correct part number would be greatly appreciated. The replacement sensors I have seen do not match. They all have parallel spades.
What is the Blue wire that was attached to the sensor? Since I have the plug and the blue wire does it need to be grounded.
If I understand what you're saying you are wondering why there is a 2-wire plug just laying there?
More than likely the reason you have the 2-wire plug laying there and the single wire hook-up both is that all the different 1200 models use the same harness(maybe Rick could verify this).So the Aspy or LTD uses the 2-wire plug and the Int. uses the single wire for example.It's cheaper to manufacture one harness for all(but not use it all)than to make a different one for each model.The auto manufacturers do this all the time for the different options available.Kind of a plug and play.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#14 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM,
The sub harness for the interstate is different than the aspencade and there are no unused plugs.

I think someone has installed a different sensor (maybe the single pin from the interstate) and of course the other plug is there unused. I think the (blue) wire has been added by the Original owner but only guessing

#15 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  coolant temperature sensor SIR tricky 44 18,451 10-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Last Post: admin
  Coolant temperature sensor modification. SIR tricky 6 3,877 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Last Post: T. Bix