Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
HAVE A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS FROM www.GL1200GOLDWINGS.com
Wishing everyone here at www.GL1200GOLWINGS.com a very merry Christmas and hoping that you will have a wonderful and fun holiday season.

Here's a song I performed at my church on Christmas Eve 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktDp-pc-qY

Note: I got written permission from the original artist to share this song.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 12-25-2012, 03:40 AM,
thanks Vic. hope you had a great Christmas.
Johan
#2 12-26-2012, 04:36 PM,
Wishing everyone here at www.GL1200GOLWINGS.com a very merry Christmas and hoping that you will have a wonderful and fun holiday season.

If you click the following link it should take you to a video that I taped Christmas Eve at my church. This song sure represents the real meaning of Christmas to me. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktDp-pc-qY

Vic that was truely beautiful. While over @ You-tube, I listened to a couple others & must say that you have some voice. A Closer walk is my fav. this brings up a quiery. With "Where's the Line to See Jesus " there seems to be a lot of Bass. Did you have a bass board or a bass player with you? Anyway thank you for the song it really is beautiful.Cheers Angela
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
'85 Honda GL 1200 (fully dressed) I. (sold)
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."
"Grab life by the handlbars an hang on."

#3 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM,
Thanks Angela, it was just me and my guitar, not even a pick. I guess my bare fingers enhanced the bass somewhat.

#4 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM,
Actually.. What you have is called a Cover of someone elses music... Since you are not selling or accepting money for performing it, you can post the links to your performance and not be in violation of copyright
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#5 12-27-2012, 05:06 PM,
Copyright is so very confusing Wild horse. Cover song, in my opinion, means that if I play someone else's composition and lyrics before a small live assembly of people for no cash then most likely I will not get stung with copyright infringement, but, I should still have permission to use someone else's work beforehand because I am reproducing their creation which is copyrighted. Now, if I am recording my cover of someone's music and placing it out there for the public and earning cash via ads on YouTube then I am severely breaking the rules. And if I am earning money from the cover songs that I am playing the original composer is entitled by law to a share of what I produce from using their music. That's the little bit I know about copyright laws in Canada, therefore I am open to opinions and solid knowledge on the topic.

#6 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM,
It's too late I already turned you in for the reward! Do you see a black suburban with blacked out windows parked out front yet?
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#7 12-27-2012, 09:51 PM,
Whoa !!!

You mean, every time we are at a birthday party, before we sing "Happy Birthday to You," we first must get permission from the estate of Patty Hill and Mildred J. Hill ? Or in a couple of days, when we sing Auld Lang Syne, FIRST we must get Bobby Burns' estate's permission .... especially when sung off key ?

Where's this free country I keep hearing about ?

Here's a New Years' thought to keep in mind. A few days ago, one of my wife's girlhood friends who ALWAYS comes from Washington DC to spend Christmas with us, stretching into decades (her husband, a professional opera singer is ALWAYS off somewhere at Christmas on a singing gig), was again staying with us (in a hotel room, this time ... our beautiful 105-year old stone house was gone). We took her on a "tour" of our burned out house, and she began to weep and sob. My wife wound up comforting her. Later, when we were alone, my wife said, "Isn't that odd? During and after the fire, I haven't shed a tear?" We wondered about that, and then she came up with an explanation. "We are alive and unhurt. Those are the ONLY things that REALLY count. The rest of it is ONLY stuff." [The "stuff" included my '85 GL1200, looking like a grilled cheese sandwich with a great engine sticking out of it ... which I've ALREADY replaced with an '85 Aspy, courtesy of the Progressive Insurance Company. After all, we DO have our priorities Dodgy ] Then she gave me a BIG hug and kiss Heart, and said, "I think God was trying to tell us something. We had too much 'stuff'."

We are really very blessed, planning how to rebuild our 2013, and visiting our four kids and four grand kids spread all over North America. There's nothing to cry about. We will be starting a New Year, and so shall all of you. We keep getting second chances. That's something to thank God for, and to celebrate come December 31st.

So then to everyone, Happy New Year and safe riding !

After just posting an extension to a thread, I noticed the time stamp was 11:15 AM. But my computer's clock said it is 6:15 AM CST ... and it NEVER lies to me. So where did five hours go? Is this "show" coming to us from London, England or what ? Huh
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#8 12-28-2012, 04:59 AM,
As far as I understand, any music becomes public domain 50 years after the author passes away and then is free of any copyright restrictions, but, copyright laws seem so very convoluted that I cannot make any clear sense of them. Here's an example demonstrating Happy Birthday:

In 1935, "Happy Birthday to You" was copyrighted as a work for hire by Preston Ware Orem for the Summy Company, the publisher of "Good Morning to All". A new company, Birch Tree Group Limited, was formed to protect and enforce the song's copyright. In 1998, the rights to "Happy Birthday to You" and its assets were sold to Time Warner. In March 2004, Warner Music Group was sold to a group of investors led by Edgar Bronfman Jr. The company continues to insist that one cannot sing the "Happy Birthday to You" lyrics for profit without paying royalties: in 2008, Warner collected about $5000 per day ($2 million per year) in royalties for the song. This includes use in film, television, radio, anywhere open to the public, or even among a group where a substantial number of those in attendance are not family or friends of whoever is performing the song. For this reason, most restaurants or other public party venues will not allow their employees to perform the song in public, instead opting for other original songs or cheers in honor of the birthday celebrant.

Weird huh?

Anyway Granpa, I am so happy to read that you and your wife have the right attitude about your loss and that's awesome. You both seem to know and understand what is most important in life.

#9 12-28-2012, 05:41 AM,
• • • that's generally true Vic, BUT :

in the case of satire, expropriating music copyrighted by someone else is protected ---
according to an article in the 1990 issue of the Fordham Intellectual Property, Media
and Entertainment Law Journal Stranger in Parodies: Weird Al and the Law of Musical Satire. Such is the case in Al's Ebay Parody Song, a parody of, "I Want it That Way" by the Backstreet Boys.

If you sing a copyrighted song for making fun of something ... in particular, a political figure or social convention ... your use of music by a copyright holder is protected in the U. S. of A. as "fair use" EXCEPT in the "special" case of Weird Al Yankovic who having sold millions of recordings of his satirical songs had to make a financial agreement to give the copyright holders their relatively smaller cut.

Next time you sing a song in church, make sure it's satirical and that no money flows into your pocket from the millions generated by your singing it. Big Grin Then your singing it will probably be O.K. (if there are no copyright lawyers listening to you sing).
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#10 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM,
Granpah, I just found out that a performer can legally cover any copyrighted song if playing at a worship service as long as the music stays at the location, for example, cannot be broadcast over TV or radio or recorded and sent out by CD or DVD. This is one of the very few loopholes in the copyright system.

On another note, I asked for and received, in writing, permission from the original artist to share my performance of Where's the Line to See Jesus with others. Now I feel a little more at ease about it.

BTW, I don't think that I'll ever need to be concerned about making millions from any of my songs or performances, but, I guess that one never really knows for sure what will happen down the road. Although, looking back there have been a lot of people who have enjoyed my music and I should really consider that a really big positive, because, ultimately I am far too critical of my music to give it much praise. Sometime, just for the hell of it, I should try to record professionally with all the enhancements to see what happens to the quality. These days sound artists can alter timing, pitch, tempo and rectify any errors then add harmonies created from your own voice electronically to make anyone sound like a pro. That's a far cry from just me and my old acoustic guitar.

#11 12-28-2012, 07:01 PM,
(12-28-2012, 07:01 PM)admin Wrote: Granpah, I just found out that a performer can legally cover any copyrighted song if playing at a worship service as long as the music stays at the location, for example, cannot be broadcast over TV or radio or recorded and sent out by CD or DVD. This is one of the very few loopholes in the copyright system.

On another note, I asked for and received, in writing, permission from the original artist to share my performance of Where's the Line to See Jesus with others. Now I feel a little more at ease about it.

BTW, I don't think that I'll ever need to be concerned about making millions from any of my songs or performances, but, I guess that one never really knows for sure what will happen down the road. Although, looking back there have been a lot of people who have enjoyed my music and I should really consider that a really big positive, because, ultimately I am far too critical of my music to give it much praise. Sometime, just for the hell of it, I should try to record professionally with all the enhancements to see what happens to the quality. These days sound artists can alter timing, pitch, tempo and rectify any errors then add harmonies created from your own voice electronically to make anyone sound like a pro. That's a far cry from just me and my old acoustic guitar.

Vic was just reading the replyies to this post & A performer can leagally copy any other artist song anywhere just so long as they are not brodcast or recorded. If it was only in a church service then an awfully lot of garage bands would be breaking the law. Once a semi amiture band signs a deal to record, anything that is not thier own music has to have permission to record. I played professionally for 10 years touring almost all the pubs in S. Ont from Chatham to Orillia & every town in between. We went by the name of Sundown. I used to play drums for Roger Quick & his wife @ various summer jamborees. We all jammed together. Even Jammed once with Ian & Sylvia when she was visiting home in Chatham. Sure do miss those days. And by the way you are definately in the catigory of a money maker as a singer. Happy New Year Angela
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
'85 Honda GL 1200 (fully dressed) I. (sold)
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."
"Grab life by the handlbars an hang on."

#12 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM,
Thanks for your kind words Angela. You sure have had a lot of fun and experience with music, awesome.

According to my understanding, any reproduction (live playing before an audience, CD, DVD, radio, TV etc. to the public) of an author's music is copyright infringement with the exception of the music being played at a worship service, in house only. Many people take for granted that they can use an author's music freely if they play it live, but, in actuality the person(s) playing the music should have written consent to reproduce the music before they play before the public. Many do it and never ever get caught, but, get caught once and it could be a very expensive experience. It's kind of like music sharing/downloading on the internet, we all do it without a second thought, but, get caught once and you'll wish you never owned a computer. Remember, this all just my understanding from the many copyright documents I have read recently. Ultimately, it would take an infraction, a lawyer and a judge to lay out the bottom line on this issue, but, I still welcome new information on the topic.

#13 12-29-2012, 06:15 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM www.GL1200GOLDWINGS.com admin 25 8,887 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Last Post: fysty-1
  The 2010 WWW.GL1200GOLDWINGS.COM CALENDER.... Want one??!!! roscoepc 84 16,329 01-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Guest
  What a wonderful day, first ride of the year. admin 17 3,470 03-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Guest