Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Warming up times
I've just bought a 1200 naked and I think the thermostat is not working as it should. The shop says it's fine. In the few outings sofar it takes 10 miles or more to reach the lower end of 'working temperature', and doesn't get any higher than that.
I'd like to hear from people with more 1200 experience how long it would normally take for the engine to warm up.

Thanks,

Ronald
#1 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM,
hey Dug,
can't say on the naked wings. they might run cooler but, my 85 aspy starts to register within a couple minuets, five minuets and my feet start feeling the warmth from the engine. [Image: agree.gif]

BTW, welcome to the forum! :wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#2 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM,
Dug,

The 1200 bikes seem a "little" cold blooded but mine will warm in a few minutes to operating temps. Of course the low last night was 85F....
#3 07-23-2007, 03:58 PM,
Duq Wrote:I've just bought a 1200 naked and I think the thermostat is not working as it should. The shop says it's fine. In the few outings sofar it takes 10 miles or more to reach the lower end of 'working temperature', and doesn't get any higher than that.
I'd like to hear from people with more 1200 experience how long it would normally take for the engine to warm up.

Thanks,

Ronald

I'm wondering if you might need a thermostat.

Mine takes about five minutes to start registering on the gauge on a warm day.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 07-23-2007, 05:56 PM,
The bike has now been back to the shop where they replaced the thermostat. They put it on the bench and ran it to check the fan and that works fine.
Problem is, the bike cools too much when riding. With a temperature of about 17C doing 50-80mph it won't reach working temp. In other topics I've seen people talking about x-number of bars but as mine is a standard I've got the old-fashioned gauge. Working temp as far as I know is the wider part of the bar.
Temperature shows as too low when riding and rises to normal as soon as I'm in town, riding slow or sitting at lights. To me that means it must be the radiator. Could wrong/old/too much/too little cooling liquid cause the engine to get too much cooling?
Could it be that the engine temp is fine only the gauge is showing too low? How could I check?

Thanks again for any help.

Ronald
#5 08-06-2007, 11:00 AM,
Use a thermometer to actually measure the heat of the coolant. There are several different types and I don't know what style you have.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 08-06-2007, 11:23 AM,