Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gl1200 1987 Main fairing change Then nada
Ok so here is what happened I recently changed the main upper fairing for my wing. took her all apart put her back together everything was fine. the day after SANDY came blowing through I started her up moved her to a flat spot put her on center took the fairing half way off so i could replace bolts that I couldn't change do to darkness. plugged everything in turned the key and nothing no lights no dash no starting. What in great Caesar's ghost did I do wrong. she is in the shop but they have yet to really ask me what I did to her and well i'm afraid that they are trying to wrack up the cash. the only connections I undid where the ones at the left side pocket and then i re connected them so i an confused.
To Thine own self be True. To all the others Be Better
#1 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM,
Had a similar thing happen to me after removing the fairing and putting it back. Turned out to be a short somewhere in the main harness that I was able to track down and jump around by looking at the wiring schematic. So it had nothing to do with the plugs on the left side, just a fluke. But if you've already got it at the shop, there's not much you can do except wait to see what they say. Hopefully they can track it down quickly. If they say it's the main harness, I would guess that's going to cost a pretty penny to replace and it may not be necessary, but you'd have to bring it back home and try to track down the problem yourself. The wiring diagrams in the normal repair manuals are tough to follow, but there is an electrical manual and some folks on the board have them in PDF format. Those are extremely helpful and much easier to read. They even have nice flowcharts that tell ask the problem and tell you where to start.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#2 11-08-2012, 11:23 PM,
Did your issue have to do with C80 the connector on the right hand side. I was just told that that could be the issue as well as finding another post here on the board for an 85 that did the same thing.
#3 11-12-2012, 11:57 PM,
I would carefully check each and every connector at the front of the bike to determine if the connectors had gone green due to corrosion as sometimes happens. Also, sometimes the connector lock/latch/catch/hook/barb inside the plasitc connector can loosen causing the connector to fall away from its mate when the plastic housings are mated requiring that you must physically push it back into place by the wire to make a connection. To check this simply try pull all connections apart by the wires and if the wire pulls out of the connector you'll have found the problem. Start searching at the right side under the fairing first because the red wire is the main power for the bike and if this connector has gone bad the bike simply will not power up. Another way to check to be sure that all the wires are properly connected inside the plastic housings is to use an ohmmeter to check for continuity and if all the connections ar tight and solid and the main fuse is working the bike should fire up everytime. Good luck.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 11-13-2012, 04:56 AM,
its kinda hard to diagnose anything if your info.especially since you have taken the mc to a shop,hopefully its as simple as a loose connection,bad battery cable connection or in the ignition key circuit
let us know what they find and/or once you get the mc bike we may be able to tell you where to start
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM,
Ok so I went to the shop and talked to the A**hole manager the service girl i perfer to work with was out. anywho I told him about C80 and he was looking at me as if i had 8 heads. so we went out and showed him i wiggles the connection and pressed them together. insert key and bang power yay. so next the maniac is going to call me Friday and we are going to work out a plan for fixing the wiring issues and the CB.
#6 11-14-2012, 09:00 PM,
Glad you got it figured out. Hopefully you can get it fixed for not too much out of your pocket. Mine was not the C80, but I'd have to pop the false tank to figure out what it was.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#7 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM,
me to might help the machanic as well
#8 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM,
sounds just like a poorly connected connector,personally i'd work on getting it home and learning to repair it yourself
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#9 11-15-2012, 11:51 AM,
that is my main goal honestly but where I live I dont have a place to really work on her and well I want the timing belts done you know 111k on original belts is nice but really need them changed. also need all new gaskets and some clutch work done so its safer for them to have it and take care of it right now while i fix the plastics and do some modifications to them. then once I pick up my 1984 parts bike and strip it for what i need and start selling the rest I'll be able to work on her my self.
#10 11-15-2012, 08:48 PM,