Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Weekend trip on my wifes trike
GMMCC went on a weekend trip this past weekend and for kicks I rode my wifes 84 I with the insta trike attached to it. I could have taken it off in a few minutes but wanted to see how it handled on an actual two day distance trip.
First let me say that getting the insta trike adjusted takes a bit of trial and error to get the best ride and cornering but adjusting it isnt hard. Just small adjustments are the key.
We left on sat morning about 8 am heading in a roundabout back road sort of route for Cumberland falls in a group of six bikes most doubled up except myself and one other member. One Wing, one Maruader, One Vulcan One Vstar and two Harleys a Heritage and a Street Glyde. It was hot even in the morning with temps reaching 1oo by afternoon.
Though I normally run lead I put my VP in front on this one since I was tired of always navigating :lol: We ran down rt 11 thru Red River Gorge into Daniel Boone National Forest stopping at a leather shop and some convience stores as the mood stuck us since we werent in any hurry. A stop at Natural Bridge and up the skylift took some of the day, Most of our trips are like that. We say we are going to a certain place but if we get there we do if we dont we dont and changing destinations isnt unheard of on the fly :lol:
The wifes "trike" though I thought I wouldnt much care for it actually was quite a pleasure to ride. The ride was good as any full blown conversion trike ive ridden, twisties I had no trouble at all keeping up with the rest on two wheels. No worries about loose gravel or sliding or any of the stuff you usually watch for. Truely a lazy mans ride :lol: Dont even have to put your feet down at stop lights. The kit does take a bit of horse power away but not enough that you dont still have plenty of giddy up on the 12oo. Gas milage drops about 2 miles a gallon. About halfway thru the day the wifes 12oo was having to be push started which i was blaming on a dragging starter and the heat. If only I had been right :roll:
We accidently stumbled onto Wildcat Harleys birthday bash in London with stunt shows fire works vendors etc and about 300 bikes in attendance so we moteled up a bit early and some of us went to the bash. A couple one myself nestled up to the air conditioner and a pizza instead :ymblushing:
The fireworks were fantastic as seen from the motel window I must say 8) The next am we pulled out by 10 am and finished running to Cumberland Falls. A wonderful place very pretty but very hot this past weekend. After spending a good six hours there looking around we headed back home into some high wind and storms. Again the trike kit showed its stuff. Stable as a rock in the high sidewinds that eventually caused the rest to have to stop for a while and confidence inspiring on drenched roads. About this time the wifes bike quit at an intersection in London. A quick push start got it going again and we pulled into Dogpatch off I 75. A quick look showed a burnt plug at the solinoid and a voltmeter pronounced the stator as good on two wires and one volt on the third. Cutting out the offending plug spading the solinoid wires and direct connecting the power wires to the battery got some charge going and the bike did run all the way home though it wouldnt start if turned off without pushing. Got home about 10 pm Sunday. Poor boy next in line to be done. :mrgreen:

All in all it was a great trip with great friends and fellow members of GMMCC of about 500 miles.
We had a lot of fun, sweated a lot, laughed a lot and saw a lot of great scenery.
The wife's 84 I ran flawlessly except for the stator crapping out and the insta trike kit truly surprised me with the quality of ride and handling it provided. And though Ill ride in about anything except ice and snow on the road I have to admit pushing thru the heavy wind and rain on the trike was easier and less stressful than if I had been on the LTD. I can see why she loves it so much. For those wondering why she didnt go as well, one of the meds she is on makes her susceptible to intense heat and it was simply to hot for her. She spend the weekend with the grandbabies instead :lol:
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#1 07-10-2012, 10:52 PM,
Sounds like a great ride, ghostrider, in spite of the mechanical problems. Where in KY are you? My daughter and her family are in Radclliff, near Ft. Knox/E-town. I'd LOVE to ride there someday. beautiful country. (even in a car!!!)
#2 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM,
I live near Carter Caves State Park, Grayson, Olive Hill ky area. A run east across the BG parkway from Etown to Lex and I64 east to Olive Hill exit would have you about 8 miles from my house. If you are ever heading for my area email me. Dont have much your welcome to a bed and a meal.
We also do a 3 day motorcycle rally in Grayson ky the last full weekend in August every year. Neoracer has been to it. We do a cash payout poker run that will take you across some good riding country. :d
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#3 07-11-2012, 11:54 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wifes on a wing ghostrider52005 8 2,477 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Last Post: ghostrider52005
  Installed a remote engine starter on the wifes car. 2 1,550 12-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Last Post: admin