Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Swapping exhaust systems
I now have 2 GL1200's, the 1987 Interstate that I have had for 4 or 5 years and a newly acquired, dressed up 1987 Aspencade. The Aspencade is noticeably louder than the Interstate, so I am thinking of swapping the exhaust systems to hopefully quiet it down, as I would like to make that one my steady ride and maybe sell the Interstate. I have seen on other posts that when the exhaust gets swapped out/replaced, some tuning of the carbs (or something) is required. Is this just when putting on a Motad or other non-Honda exhaust or will I also need to do this if I swap the Honda exhausts?
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#1 07-09-2012, 11:29 PM,
Swapping exhaust systems from wing to wing wont require any rejetting etc of the carbs. Honestly as long as you are anything close to a stock exhaust system and dont open up the air box to a high flow intake system the stock jets etc will do just fine
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#2 07-10-2012, 01:44 AM,
Chas Wrote:I now have 2 GL1200's, the 1987 Interstate that I have had for 4 or 5 years and a newly acquired, dressed up 1987 Aspencade. The Aspencade is noticeably louder than the Interstate, so I am thinking of swapping the exhaust systems to hopefully quiet it down, as I would like to make that one my steady ride and maybe sell the Interstate. I have seen on other posts that when the exhaust gets swapped out/replaced, some tuning of the carbs (or something) is required. Is this just when putting on a Motad or other non-Honda exhaust or will I also need to do this if I swap the Honda exhausts?

When you remove the exhaust, look carefully up into the port at the engine block; "if" the exhaust has ever been removed before..often the copper rings (seals) are left in there! Confusedhock: They collapse very flat quite easily..in fact the Honda service manual says only 7 ft. lbs. are required to tighten the header nuts! I changed out one of my 1200's and found 3 seals in one side and 2 in another!! Just a heads-up.. :mrgreen:
#3 07-10-2012, 02:27 PM,
Stock systems won't require any modifications. Only after market performance systems. One thing to look at are the header gaskets when you remove them. If they look questionable, replace them. You don't want to have to remove the exhaust again to replace them. They get brittle with age and heat from the exhaust.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#4 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM,
Thanks for the tips everyone. Much appreciated. This is a great site!
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#5 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone has Soundbits of Aftermarket Systems? William_86 2 460 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Last Post: admin