Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
My cooling fan turning off with key
The question i have is when i stop (100 degree weather) I shut ignition switch off and the cooling fan shuts off. i turn the key
back on and let the engine cool down and after a couple minutes fan will shut off. Isn't the fan hooked directly to power how come
it goes thru ignition or has someone changed this ? If i hadn't noticed the fan on i would have just walked off and bike would
be still hot. Thanks in advance for your help
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#1 10-13-2010, 09:44 PM,
Mine works the same way, ignition switch has to be on for fan to run. I've never had any issues turning off the bike when it's hot and let it cool without the fan. My car is the same way. The motor and coolant maybe hot, but if it's not running it's also not getting hotter.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#2 10-14-2010, 01:52 AM,
Mine works the same way.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 10-14-2010, 03:28 AM,
Thanks everyone i won't be concerned then. I have a mercury van and it will run the fan for a couple minutes even after ignition is off.
Thats why i was wondering. Thats why i love this site the dumber the question the more you learn here.LOL I have learned so much
about the Goldwing it is amazing and it has saved me from making some screw ups. Thanks again to all. :d
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#4 10-14-2010, 07:34 AM,
With the engine not running and water not circulating, the only thing you would be cooling would be the water in the radiator. With a car, I am assuming now, they might be trying to cool down the underhood temperature.
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne
#5 10-15-2010, 08:26 AM,
i have another issue along the same line.

My 87 Aspencade gurgles after a hot weather ride. I am assuming this is normal as long as I am not losing coolant. I am at 4 bars on the temp meter, again this seems normal. Should my fan be running? I could not tell if it was running when the engine was running (didn't look) but it definitely did not run when the ignition was on, but engine silent.

Thanks
#6 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM,
Almost sounds like you're low on coolant.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#7 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM,
clancyp Wrote:The question i have is when i stop (100 degree weather) I shut ignition switch off and the cooling fan shuts off. i turn the key
back on and let the engine cool down and after a couple minutes fan will shut off. Isn't the fan hooked directly to power how come
it goes thru ignition or has someone changed this ? If i hadn't noticed the fan on i would have just walked off and bike would
be still hot. Thanks in advance for your help

Mine same

#8 06-30-2012, 02:35 PM,
Papagarbs Wrote:i have another issue along the same line.

My 87 Aspencade gurgles after a hot weather ride. I am assuming this is normal as long as I am not losing coolant. I am at 4 bars on the temp meter, again this seems normal. Should my fan be running? I could not tell if it was running when the engine was running (didn't look) but it definitely did not run when the ignition was on, but engine silent.

Thanks

My bike's fan will come on when the temp bars are at 1/2 way - can't remember how many bars... shuts down when ignition off.

You could possibly have a weak rad cap that is not maintaining required pressure in the system and the coolant boils momentarily as the coolant around the hottest parts of the engine (exhaust ports) soaks up heat for a few seconds after shutdown while not circulating... it is easy enough to have a shop check the cap

#9 06-30-2012, 02:44 PM,
I hadn't thought about it, but keeping the fan on for a minute after shut down might be a good idea. I have seen other bikes (Buell?) that the fan stayed on, and that was new to me.

As a side note I too was having overheating issues with the coolant blowing out the overflow regularly. After everything else I tried I finally went from the bad/failed OEM 0.9 cap to a new tested good 0.9 cap (11-13psi) but still had issues, then I installed a 1.1 cap(14-16psi), now it works like it always should have.

The caps are available at any auto-parts store for around $7.00

The 1000 through 1500's all used the 0.9 cap from the factory, but the 1800 uses the 1.1 instead, the extra pressure keeps the boiling point of the coolant higher and makes the coolant do it's job better.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#10 06-30-2012, 05:17 PM,
is keeping the fan running going to do all that much concidering the water pump stopped? I can see if both fan and pump run on but one without the other is not going to do anything, I dont think so anyways.
#11 06-30-2012, 07:12 PM,
1060dsl Wrote:is keeping the fan running going to do all that much concidering the water pump stopped? I can see if both fan and pump run on but one without the other is not going to do anything, I dont think so anyways.

I agree it surely won't do much, but it would stop that cloud of heat from the radiator coming up through the steering column at my dashboard, and it might help a little. Bad thing is you might also need a little choke upon restart again.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#12 07-01-2012, 06:01 AM,
Papagarbs Wrote:i have another issue along the same line.

Thanks
Due to the cooling characteristics of these bikes (thermal switch failure) I installed a light to come on when the fan is running.
In learning when the fan comes on, I can glance at my water temperature and thus know at what temp. the fan comes on.

I have wired the light in parallel to the fan and not in series.
If installed in series with the fan, when the bulb fails, the fan will not turn on.

This indicator light came in handy recently when I had removed the lowers to gain access to the carburetors. Number 4 was not working properly due to some blockage in one of the jets and I needed access to the plugs to help me determine it was the carburetor.
In any case, I had left the lowers off for a few days to see if my fix was going to work properly.
With the lowers off, my morning commute now had the fan coming on once and the afternoon commute caused the fan to cycle on twice. Normally, the fan doesn't come on at all!
Not changing my route or riding style, the only difference was the lowers being removed, but the indicator light showed me the effect the lowers have on the cooling of the engine.

~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#13 07-03-2012, 09:57 AM,
I had been doing some general work on mine, checking the fan circuit, etc and rode it to town yesterday.

It was nearly 90 yesterday on the way home. I still had the lowers off and coming back up the canyon, not a hard pull but it is about a 1,000 ft elevation climb over 8 miles I was cranking it in the 4-6K rpm range just to run her. I noticed it was running considerably warmer around my legs and the temp gauge was above 1/2 but not to 3/4 yet. I pulled into the driveway and stopped. Got off while it was idling and confirmed that the fan was indeed running while she was idling.
By the time I walked around the back of the motorcycle and too the other side, the fan had shut off and the temp was down just below 1/2 on the gauge. I shut her off and put her on the center stand.

What did I learn? My fan circuit does work.
The bike does seem to run considerably warmer without the lowers on.
It is definitely warmer for me without the lowers in place.
It doesn't take long for the bike to cool down before turning it off.

anyway my .02
Andy
Silver 1984 Interstate
GWRRA WAO
#14 07-03-2012, 06:34 PM,
Another item learned:
The Honda Motorsports Engineering Department apparently knew what they were doing 28 years ago! :d

~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#15 07-05-2012, 08:36 AM,