Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Stella only starts in neutral
I just noticed tonight that Stella only starts in neutral.
Any other bike I have had would start in gear with the clutch in (like if it stalled at a corner or something)
Is this a normal thing?
Jerry
#1 06-05-2012, 06:08 PM,
No, it should start with the clutch pulled in.

Check the micro switch under the clutch lever

Check continuity of the clutch lever (safety) switch with the wires disconnected and replace if necessary. You can try washing the switch with WD40 the spraying with contact cleaner, clean the contacts and connectors (dip in CLR and blow clean then use di-electric grease to keep moisture out

Clutch Applied (Lever released): No Continuity
Clutch Released (Lever pulled): Continuity
To remove the clutch switch, unplug the wires and remove the clutch lever and cable.
Remove the switch.

NOTE: The switch case has a small protrusion that must point toward the handlebar when installed.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 06-05-2012, 06:13 PM,
Thanks I thought it should I will check tomarrow night.
Jerry
#3 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM,
tricky Wrote:No, it should start with the clutch pulled in.

Check the micro switch under the clutch lever

Check continuity of the clutch lever (safety) switch with the wires disconnected and replace if necessary. You can try washing the switch with WD40 the spraying with contact cleaner, clean the contacts and connectors (dip in CLR and blow clean then use di-electric grease to keep moisture out

Clutch Applied (Lever released): No Continuity
Clutch Released (Lever pulled): Continuity
To remove the clutch switch, unplug the wires and remove the clutch lever and cable. I can manage to remove the switch on the brake lever without removing the lever and I dont know what cable they are talking about in the manual?
Remove the switch.

NOTE: The switch case has a small protrusion that must point toward the handlebar when installed.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 06-06-2012, 05:06 AM,
Put bike in gear, turn on key, pull clutch lever in all the way, push and hold start button in and then with clutch lever tight against grip move it up and down, using all the play in the clutch lever, it should hit the starter doing this. Best luck. ~O) ~O)
It's a GoldWing thing.[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=446].You wouldn't understand
#5 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starter starts engine, then will not release Chris G 3 2,266 08-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Chris G