Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
"Engine Ice" does anyone use this?
hi all....changed timing belts on my new Aspy and had to add coolant on sunday after dealers closed. used a quart auto (dex) coolant so i'm replacing all coolant in system this week. Honda Line is $8 a quart but the dealer told me about the product "Engine Ice" for m/c claiming my wing would run a few degrees cooler and thats a good thing. Is it? this stuff is $24 a half gallon! has anyone used this? also at auto part stores they sell temp. lowering additives, a lot cheaper. i can't find any silicate free 50/50 in my area part stores. i want the best for my wing with 122K.
#1 05-17-2012, 05:55 AM,
You can also get the Honda line coolant from the Honda auto dealers for about $22.00 a gallon. I have added wetter water to the coolant and it seems to help a little.
The coolant I have heard the most good things about for extreme conditions is called 'Evans PG Coolant'
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 05-17-2012, 09:15 AM,
I've been using 'Evans PG Coolant' for several years and find it to be a major improvement over regular anti freeze. I can actually drive on a hot day with the rad cap off and no boil over occured. The reason I started using the 'Evans PG Coolant' is that it is completely waterless so it just about eliminates internal corrosion of the cooling system. Great stuff for my Wing in my opinion.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 05-17-2012, 09:33 AM,
Always remember that the thermostat controls engine temp. Not the coolant. In conjunction with a good radiator, a properly working fan and water pump. Also an engine in a good state of tune with good head gaskets! If everything is functioning properly on your bike, then a "super coolant" is not needed. With that being said, in extreme conditions, when the thermostat is wide open and the radiator and fan can't keep up, then a specialty coolant should be looked into. (racing) Most racing clubs have banned regular anti-freeze coolants because it makes a mess of the track when crashes occur. They can't wash it off. That's also why "engine ice", etc, is used in race bikes.

Now back to your original question. Yes, it will work as coolant. Will your bike run cooler? No. Unionjack mentioned Honda car coolant. Good stuff for your bike. Probably the best bang for your buck. Vic mentioned Evans. Also good stuff. But you have a supply problem in your area. Also look into long life diesel engine coolants. Specifically "Long Life". It will go 300,000 miles. CAT is the best. These are silicate, phosphate and amalie free with anti-cavitation conditioners. Got any diesel or truck shops in your area?
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#4 05-17-2012, 01:52 PM,
well i've decided to take Vic's advise and bite the bullet and go with Evans coolant. i want to put this problem to bed. the word "forever" caught me. i like that word. after speaking to evans the dex i put in can really cause problems down the road (literaly). i have to get Prestone Flush to get ride of it, then clear water rinse, then Evans Prep Fluid to get rid of clear water rinse. He said figure half a day. Can't buy this stuff anywhere in Michigan so evans refered me to Hoerr Racing in IL. (866)851-7223. NPG+ and prep = $90.
#5 05-18-2012, 08:05 AM,
I second Evans NPG+c. And I purchased mine from Hoerr Racing also.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#6 05-19-2012, 12:45 AM,
So would you also run a non pressurized cap when running the npg+?
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
Honda 85 gl1200 aspy (present ride)
#7 03-15-2014, 07:05 PM,
I put Honda antifreeze in mine because I had enough left over from my car for the wing. I have ridden in 108 degree weather and my bike temperature was the same as any other day. My temperature was dangerously high. When it gets that hot I will be staying home.
1987 Interstate
#8 03-16-2014, 06:52 AM,
Hi, You can use each radiator fluid - just not only water.
You never know how low temperatures will be in the next few days, or where You want to go... I recommend anti-frost lotions...

BM
All You needs is LIFE...
#9 03-18-2014, 12:16 AM,
I don't believe these coolants expand as temperature rises so the type of cap would make no difference. Ed China used some in a car on an episode of Wheeler Dealers - he brought the cooling system up to full temp and walked over and removed the rad cap with the bare hand.

#10 03-18-2014, 05:22 AM,